People prefer to smoke in lots of places: in their garden, in their living room or even in their bedroom! Wherever it may be, we all know that cigarettes leave ash when they are burning. This ash sticks to everything and is hard to get rid of, especially if it's in your home. This is where ashtrays come in: they're a foolproof way of making sure that your cigarette smoking doesn't cause a mess.
If you’ve been smoking for a month or a year, there's never a wrong time to invest a few quid and buy an ashtray. Maybe your house is smelly and has lots of ash on the carpets, or maybe you're used to smoking in the garden and don't want to keep adding to that pile of cigarette butts that are in the old flower pot and would prefer everything to be clean and tidy in a little, neat ashtray on your garden table? Well, whatever the reason may be, we’ve got you covered with this ultimate guide, where we have rankings of the best ashtrays on the market, reviews of these products, and lots of hints, tips and info so you can choose the best one for you. Let’s get started!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 First things first
- 3 The best ashtrays in the UK
- 3.1 Genware NEW-B322 Melamine Deep Ashtray (10cm diameter)
- 3.2 Premier Housewares Spinning Ashtray (13cm diameter)
- 3.3 Newness Focus on Stainless Steel Modern Ashtray with Lid (9.9cm diameter)
- 3.4 Monsiter Turtle Ashtray (14cm diameter)
- 3.5 LAUYOO Vintage Waterproof Ashtray with Lid (10.7 cm diameter)
- 3.6 Drinkstuff Windproof Ashtray Stainless Steel Ashtray with Lid (8.9cm diameter)
- 3.7 Signstek Rotating Ashtray with Lid and Smoke Collector (14.5cm diameter)
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about ashtrays
- 4.1 How do I use an ashtray?
- 4.2 Where do I put an ashtray?
- 4.3 Why are small ashtrays good?
- 4.4 Should I get an ashtray with a lid?
- 4.5 How often should I clean my ashtray?
- 4.6 What materials are ashtrays made from?
- 4.7 What kinds of ashtrays can you get?
- 4.8 Can you get ashtrays that stop odours?
- 4.9 How much do ashtrays cost?
- 4.10 What are the pros and cons of ashtrays?
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
First things first
- You can use your ashtray for cigarette ashes, but also incense or rubbish.
- Remember that your ashtray will always be in view, that's why buying one that will fit well in your garden or home is important.
- As with most purchases, it is also important for the product you opt to offer great value for money.
The best ashtrays in the UK
We’ve had a look at the different ashtrays on the market, analysed prices and customer reviews, and come up with this comprehensive list of the best in the UK. You can see each of our favourite ashtrays in the selection below, alongside a little description of each product. We’re certain that by the end of this ultimate guide, you will have chosen the best ashtray for you!
Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about ashtrays
You’ve seen the best ashtrays on the market, now it’s time for the buying part. If you’re interested in buying an ashtray for your garden or home, we’ve put together this fab list of things we recommend that you think about before making your purchase. We’ve also got a list of the most frequently asked questions by people who are considering buying ashtrays and we’ve answered them, so by the end of this section, any remaining doubts will be dispelled and any remaining questions will be answered. Let’s dive right in.
How do I use an ashtray?
Where do I put an ashtray?
Why are small ashtrays good?
Should I get an ashtray with a lid?
How often should I clean my ashtray?
What materials are ashtrays made from?
- Wood - very decorative and mostly handmade.
- Crystal / Glass - these would look nice in a living room, but be careful since they're heavy and likely to break.
- Bronze - decorative but heavy and need to be cleaned so they don't tarnish.
- Ceramic - very decorative, cheap and can come in very decorative styles.
- Stainless steel - perfect for outdoors, since they won't rust. They're also easy to clean.
- Melamine - the most common material. They look like wood but are a type of heat-resistant plastic.
- Silicone - pretty and come in many different colours.
What kinds of ashtrays can you get?
|Type of ashtray||Description|
|Table||The most commonly found in homes. They come in different shapes, sizes and materials.|
|Portable||Generally made from stainless steel and are designed for you to carry when you're on the go. Perfect so you don't drop ash on the floor.|
|Beach||Generally made from plastic and are cheap. Designed for the beach but can be used anywhere.|
|Freestanding||Wonderfully decorative and perfect to spice up a living room.|
|Cigarette bins||These are special bins found in public places that are used for cigarette butts so that you don't drop them on the floor, which could incur a fine of £80.|
|Push-button||The button featured on top of these ashtrays is pushed to make the ashes fall inside. They are very practical and comfortable to use.|
|Car||These are found in most cars. You could even buy a portable ashtray and place it in your car. Remember, don't smoke with an under 18 in the car - it's illegal and you could be fined £50.|
|Decorative||Perfect for those who want to hide the fact that it's ashtray.|
Can you get ashtrays that stop odours?
How much do ashtrays cost?
|Type of ashtray||Price|
|Ashtrays with lids||£3 - £15|
|Portable ashtrays||£3 - £10|
|Freestanding ashtrays||£15 - £40|
|Car ashtrays||£10 - £30|
|Push-button ashtrays||£10 - £20|
|Table ashtrays||£3 - £15|
|Cigarette bins||£30 - £60.|
What are the pros and cons of ashtrays?
When you're thinking about buying an ashtray, it's important to think about lots of things. Luckily for you, we've done all the hard work. We've summed them up below - take a look!
- What type of ashtray do I want?
- What size do I want?
- What design do I want?
- Does it have any additional features?
- What material is it made from?
What type of ashtray do I want?
Think about where you want your ashtray to be and what you want it for. Do you want it to look like an ashtray? Then get a more basic one. Do you want it to be a decoration too? Or perhaps you want to disguise it so no one knows it's an ashtray? In these cases, it's best to buy a decorative ashtray. These may be more expensive.
What size do I want?
It is important that you consider the size of ashtrays before opting for a specific one. Opt for a smaller ashtray if it's designed to rest on a table. Get a larger, freestanding one if you want it to be outdoors or if you have lots of space.
What design do I want?
This depends on what you want the ashtray to be used for. If you don't want to spend much money and you want it to be purely practical, then it's best to get a simple one. If you want it to be more of a decoration, then get an ornate one - you can get them in lots of different shapes and sizes! Remember our turtle one in the ranking? Well, you could get that one or a snail one which is by the same brand. It's really up to you!
Does it have any additional features?
Some ashtrays have extra features like a lid, a turning lid, a cigarette holder, or it could even double as a fancy decoration. Think about what features you want, and be prepared to splash a few more pounds if you want these ashtrays.
What material is it made from?
Think about the material the ashtray is made from. If you're planning on leaving it outside, then it needs to be weatherproof and made of stainless steel, durable plastic or ceramic. If it's indoors, however, it can be made from any heat resistant material.
An ashtray is a wonderful addition to any home or garden in which smokers live. There are many different types and they come in all different shapes and sizes: some are for hiding the fact that it's an ashtray, and others are simple, effective and very ashtray-looking. Basically, if you don't want ash in your home, you should probably buy one!
Thanks for reading! If you liked this ultimate guide and found it useful, leave us a comment in the section below and tell us which ashtray was your favourite and answer this question: would you prefer an ashtray that looks like an ashtray, or one like our turtle one that looks like a decoration? You can also share it on your social media! Happy buying!
(Source of featured image: Belchonock: 16220324/ 123rf.com)