We live in a digital world, where the amount of items we need to store virtually grows non-stop. Therefore, having a 64 GB memory card at hand can be an excellent aid to save your files. So to never have to deal with the unwanted "memory full" message again, check out our complete guide, with all the information you need to consider before purchasing a new 64GB memory card.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best 64GB Memory Card: Our Picks
- 4 Buying guide
- 4.1 What can fit on a 64GB memory card?
- 4.2 What are the most common applications for 64 GB memory cards?
- 4.3 What are the advantages and disadvantages of the 64 GB memory card?
- 4.4 What are the different types of 64 GB memory cards?
- 4.5 How to identify if a 64 GB memory card is original?
- 4.6 Do I need to take any special care when storing my memory card?
- 5 Purchase criteria: How 64 GB memory cards compare
- Memory cards emerged as a kind of evolution of the traditional CD's and DVD's, which served as a form of storage.
- More resistant, they do not suffer from scratches and damage, being much more durable than other forms of physical storage.
- Many devices already have inputs compatible with 64 GB memory cards. However, in some cases it may be necessary to purchase an adapter for the use of your card.
The Best 64GB Memory Card: Our Picks
What can fit on a 64GB memory card?
Photos, videos and music are usually the main files stored on memory cards, but each file type has its own size and specifications. To give you an idea of how much you can store, check out the list below of how many files can be stored on a 64GB memory card.
- Photos: Approximately 36620 5MP images; 18310 10MP images; 15258 12MP images; 13078 14MP images; 11444 16MP images and 8322 22MP images.
- Videos: Approximately 1280 minutes recording at 6Mbps; 960 minutes recording at 8Mbps; 880 minutes recording at 9Mbps; 640 minutes recording at 13Mbps; 480 minutes recording at 17Mbps and 320 minutes recording at 24Mbps and 12 minutes in 4K.
- Songs: Approximately 16000 songs.
What are the most common applications for 64 GB memory cards?
Most mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras and notebooks are compatible with memory cards, which help to expand internal storage space. But before buying a memory card, check your device's compatibility and extra storage capacity. Some devices may have limitations on the amount of space to be added, so always check the manufacturer's instructions.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the 64 GB memory card?
In addition, many of them have waterproof coatings, ensuring greater security in case of accidents during the day. However, if you lose the card - something that can happen, since they are extremely small and compact - you can lose your files. So it's worth taking extra care and keeping a backup of everything that's important to you.
Another disadvantage is that not all devices, such as mobile phones and digital cameras, are compatible with memory cards. So before you buy, check if your device is ready to receive a 64 GB card.
What are the different types of 64 GB memory cards?
|SD||Mini SD||Micro SD|
|Size||24 mm (W) x 2.1 mm (H) x 32 mm (D)||20 mm (W) x 1.4 mm (H) x 21.5 mm (D)||15 mm (W) x 1 mm (H) x 11 mm (D)|
|Indication of use||It is suitable for cameras and camcorders||Used to be used in mobile phones||Commonly used in mobile phones and tablets|
Currently, mini SD cards are in disuse, as most devices are compatible with the traditional SD size or micro SD. And as not all devices are compatible with all card sizes, it is always worth relying on adapters, which can turn your memory card into a pen drive, so you can access stored data more easily.
How to identify if a 64 GB memory card is original?
Another tip is to use some programs that perform function tests or check the manufacturer's information. Thus, you can check on the brand's website if the information is correct and if your card is original.
Do I need to take any special care when storing my memory card?
Purchase criteria: How 64 GB memory cards compare
As you can notice, there are numerous details that need to be considered before buying a 64 GB memory card. However, you need not worry as we have separated for you the main criteria to consider before choosing your new card.
Memory cards can be found in multiple sizes, which may not be compatible with all the devices you intend to enjoy the extra storage space on. So, it is worth investing in a card that already comes with adapters for multiple sizes. This way, you can use it in your mobile phone and easily transfer information to the computer or other device you want.
While many devices will let you add extra storage space, some phones, tablets and cameras may limit how much space you can add or require a minimum configuration for the card to be recognised. So check all the requirements of the device you want to use your new memory card in, to avoid being left with an unused card.
The transfer speed of a memory card is key to determining the rate of data processing and storage, and takes on even more importance if you want to use the card in cameras or mobile phones. In general, once your photo or video is captured, it is processed by your device's system and stored on the card.
The speed of processing determines the quality and speed at which this will occur. Also, for transferring large volumes of files, a higher transfer rate makes the process much quicker and faster. The speed is determined in classes, which indicates the minimum speed at which the card performs data transfer. The higher the class, the faster the process.
|Class||Minimum speed||Indication for use|
|2||2 MB/s||Low resolution video recording|
|4||4 MB/s||720p videos|
|6||6 MB/s||1080p videos|
|10||10 MB/s||4K videos|
Some memory cards offer as an additional feature a security system of their own, with a native antivirus that scans the files added, avoiding possible damage to what you already have stored.
There are also cards that allow you to encrypt your data, something that is essential to ensure the safety of important data. However, if you have difficulty accessing the card, it may be difficult to recover the encrypted data, so keep the access guidelines in mind.
Featured image source: Kieutruongphoto/ Pixabay.com