Welcome to our big apricot kernel oil test 2021. Here we present all the apricot kernel oils that we have tested in detail. We have compiled detailed background information and added a summary of customer reviews on the internet.
We would like to make your purchase decision easier and help you find the best apricot kernel oil for you. You will also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. Furthermore, you will also find some important information on this page that you should be aware of when buying apricot kernel oil.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best Apricot Kernel Oil: Our Picks
- 4 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying apricot kernel oil
- 4.1 What are the effects of apricot kernel oil?
- 4.2 What ingredients does apricot kernel oil consist of?
- 4.3 What are the properties of apricot kernel oil?
- 4.4 Where does the apricot tree come from and what does it look like?
- 4.5 How much does apricot kernel oil cost?
- 4.6 What are the possible applications for apricot kernel oil?
- 4.7 How is apricot kernel oil produced?
- 4.8 What is the value of apricot kernel oil for medicine?
- 5 Decision: What types of apricot kernel oil are there and which is the right one for you?
- 6 Buying criteria: You can use these factors to compare and evaluate apricot kernel oils
- 7 Facts worth knowing about apricot kernel oil
The most important facts
- Apricot kernel oil and apricot oil are the same product. However, the name apricot kernel oil is more appropriate, as the oil is not extracted from the flesh of the fruit, but from the almond of the stone.
- A distinction is made between sweet cultivated apricots and tart wild apricots, each of which is processed into oil for different purposes. Oil from the sweet apricots has strong similarities with almond oil.
- The apricot tree originally comes from China and was seen there as a symbol for young girls. The Romans brought the cold-resistant plant to Europe. The largest cultivation areas in Europe can be found in Turkey.
The Best Apricot Kernel Oil: Our Picks
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying apricot kernel oil
What are the effects of apricot kernel oil?
Due to its many enzymes, apricot oil is a natural rejuvenator. It has a mild antibacterial effect and strengthens the immune system. In any case, it leaves the skin feeling pleasant when applied externally and also has a nourishing, moisturising and hair growth stimulating effect when used as a hair oil.
However, caution is advised when it comes to dosage. Side effects of the high vitamin B12 content can occur due to the prussic acid released. The amount should be kept low enough so that the body can break it down on its own without any problems.
In homeopathy, apricot kernel oil is said to have a cancer-preventing and -curing effect.
What ingredients does apricot kernel oil consist of?
- Oleic acid: With approx. 66%, the largest component and a particularly important unsaturated fat, as well as an omega-9 supplier.
- Linoleic acid: Omega-6 fatty acid, essential for healthy skin.
- Palmatic acid: Main intermediate product of human metabolism.
- Stearic acid: Saturated carbon and fatty acid, also used in cleaning agents.
- Palmoitoleic acid: Unsaturated omega-7 fatty acid.
- Vitamins: B1-B17, E, A
The high iodine value (96-109) indicates the high proportion of unsaturated fats in apricot kernel oil. This is also a noteworthy quality feature.
What are the properties of apricot kernel oil?
|Botanical name||Name synonyms||Colour||Odour||Taste|
|Prunus armeniaca||Apricot oil, apricot (kernel) oil, Barelle||Yellow-gold||Typically sweet-fruity||Bitter or sweet-fruity depending on the variety|
With refined apricot kernel oil, the colour, smell and taste lose much of their intensity.
Also interesting: the aroma of apricot kernel oil is reminiscent of almonds and is therefore also used in the production of persipan, a marzipan-like mass.
Where does the apricot tree come from and what does it look like?
The Romans brought the 6-10 metre high plant to Europe. The now largest European cultivation area is in Turkey, but the fruits are grown in most Mediterranean countries. The season in Central Europe is from mid-July to the end of August.
Apricots have long been considered an aphrodisiac and in China they stand for beauty, femininity, youth and the desire to have children.
How much does apricot kernel oil cost?
What are the possible applications for apricot kernel oil?
The aroma of apricot kernel oil harmonises wonderfully with a wide variety of dishes. It is especially recommended as a salad dressing or dessert ingredient.
The many vitamins and unsaturated fatty acids promote health from within. However, you should note that cold-pressed, natural apricot oil should not be heated too much, as it loses many of its healthy ingredients in the process. Refined apricot oil can also be used for deep-frying, but the charismatic flavour of the oil is lost.
As a symbol of youth and beauty, it is not hard to guess that apricot oil is a miracle cure for the skin. Age spots fade with regular use and the oil is generally used as an ingredient in anti-ageing creams.
Dry, flaky skin becomes supple and silky smooth thanks to the moisturising properties of linoleic acid. Whether used as a face oil, hand cream, body oil or massage oil, the effect of the products is soft skin. It is also ideal and very gentle as a make-up remover, especially for sensitive skin.
For affected skin areas, for example sunburn, the oil has a healing and protective effect. Apricot oil also soothes contact dermatitis (allergic reactions of the skin) and helps against severe itching and burning. Apricot kernel oil can also have a positive effect against acne, as it softens the cornification of blackheads, making them easier to remove.
If you suffer from dry hair prone to split ends, you will benefit greatly from a hair mask or shampoo with apricot kernel oil as an ingredient.
Even though orthodox medicine is not yet sufficiently convinced of a healing effect of apricot kernel oil, it has long been considered a cancer-preventive agent in homeopathy. This can be explained by the high content of vitamin B17.
When it is broken down in the body, toxic prussic acid is released, which penetrates the cancer cells and destroys them. The oil can also have a healing effect against fungal infections, skin or nail fungi due to its fungicidal effect.
Your digestive system will also thank you for a supply of apricot kernel oil: due to its anti-inflammatory effect, it soothes the stomach lining in cases of gastritis, for example.
Aromatherapy uses essential oils to fight diseases. Apricot kernel oil is absorbed by the respiratory tract through inhalation and then enters the bloodstream. It is also used as a massage oil. The therapy strengthens the immune system and increases well-being.
Both your beauty and your health benefit from the effect of the miracle remedy apricot kernel oil!
Here you can find an overview of all areas of application:
|Eczema and other irritations||The active ingredient that leads to the relief of skin damage is the linoleic acid contained in apricot kernel oil||The oil can be applied to the affected skin areas in the form of creams or pure. Oral intake of apricot oil can also prevent skin damage.|
|Aromatherapy||The smell of essential oils is said to evoke positive emotions in us and increase our general well-being||For aromatherapy, apricot kernel oil can be inhaled as well as used as a massage oil or bath additive.|
|Dry skin, sunburn, age spots, blackheads||The linoleic acid of apricot kernel oil regulates the water balance of the skin and maintains its natural barrier function||Through the external application of apricot kernel oil, a variety of skin damage can be treated. At the same time, the skin is supplied with moisture.|
|Dandruff or itchy scalp||Apricot oil moisturises the hair and scalp and at the same time provides volume and suppleness||You can massage the oil into the hair and scalp, leave it on for at least an hour and then rinse it out well.|
How is apricot kernel oil produced?
- The use of sweet cultivated apricots or bitter wild apricots: After the fruits of both varieties are harvested, let them dry first. When half of the drying time is over, the stone of the cultivated apricots is pressed out with the fingers. Wild apricots have to be cut in half for this process. The stones, whose seeds resemble almonds, are also dried and then cracked.
- Cold pressing or refining: While the procedure by purely mechanical cold pressing does not use heat and chemicals, refining involves degumming, deacidification and steaming. The type of production has a strong impact on the quality, price and robustness of the apricot kernel oil. We have given you more details in the decision-making guide below.
What is the value of apricot kernel oil for medicine?
Decision: What types of apricot kernel oil are there and which is the right one for you?
If you want to buy apricot kernel oil, there are generally 2 different types to choose from:
- cold-pressed, virgin apricot kernel oil and
- refined apricot kernel oil.
They differ mainly in their production and quality. To help you find out which apricot oil is most suitable for your purposes, we have explained the differences in more detail here:
What is cold-pressed/ virgin apricot kernel oil and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
Cold-pressing of oils does not involve chemical additives or the addition of heat from the outside. The production is purely mechanical. This results in a natural oil with all its ingredients.
Cold-pressed or virgin apricot kernel oil is very valuable for health and the production is also more environmentally friendly, but it is also the more sensitive and expensive variant.
What is refined apricot kernel oil and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
In the production of refined oils, the kernels are processed under high temperatures and with the use of chemicals. The end product is a colourless oil that has lost many of its valuable fatty acids.
However, a neutralisation in the taste, cheaper production and easier storage can be positive, as the oil is no longer so sensitive to light and oxygen. In addition, refined apricot kernel oil is more heatable.
Refining does cause oils to lose quality, but they are less complicated and more universal in use. The typical taste is also gone after processing, which can be both positive and negative depending on the dish and preference.
Buying criteria: You can use these factors to compare and evaluate apricot kernel oils
To help you make a purchase decision, we have listed a few criteria that should help you choose the perfect product for you:
- Apricot kernel oil from cultivated or wild apricots?
- Manufacturer and quality
The individual points will be discussed in more detail below:
The price varies depending on the quality and brand. Native, cold-pressed oils tend to be more expensive than refined ones.
Depending on the purpose and how much apricot kernel oil you need, you can choose different bottle sizes. Keep in mind that you should use up the oil within 12 months.
Apricot kernel oil from cultivated or wild apricots?
Oil from sweet cultivated apricots is normally used as food, as it is absolutely safe to consume. Only for medicinal purposes in homeopathy is bitter wild apricot oil prescribed for ingestion.
Oil from wild apricots is also more commonly found in cosmetics, as the concentration of active ingredients is higher.
You can usually choose between cold-pressed, virgin and refined apricot kernel oil in organic quality or not. Which type of production is most suitable for you depends on the intended area of application.
Cold-pressed apricot kernel oils are more suitable for consumption, as all the ingredients are preserved during the production process.
Facts worth knowing about apricot kernel oil
What is the shelf life of apricot kernel oil?
If stored correctly, the oil can be kept for about a year. Storage in dark, closed bottles to protect it from light is essential. In addition, it should ideally be stored in the refrigerator. This also applies to homemade cosmetics and care products with apricot kernel oil, as otherwise they can quickly turn rancid.
Can apricot kernel oil be heated?
Cold-pressed apricot kernel oil loses many of its valuable substances when heated. If you want to use it for frying, etc., you should use the less sensitive, refined version.
How should apricot kernel oil be stored?
It is best to store apricot kernel oil in the refrigerator or in a cool place protected from light and in a tinted glass or plastic bottle to protect it from light and heat fluctuations.
Can you make your own natural cosmetics with apricot kernel oil?
There are numerous DIY instructions to help you make your own natural cosmetics with the healing apricot kernel oil. Whether soaps, lip balms or body creams - mix what you need yourself!
What side effects can apricot kernel oil have?
The high vitamin B17 content of apricot kernel oil can not only prevent cancer, but also have negative effects on the rest of the body due to its natural cytostatic effect. Therefore, one should not take the product in too high doses.
Picture source: 123rf.com / 60306178