Surely you would like to feel like you arrive at a place and smell your favourite scent when you enter. Aroma diffusers are ideal for aromatising and purifying any environment, creating a feeling of physical and mental well-being through essential oils. However, in the magical world of fragrances, you should be careful with some specifics.
With the aroma diffuser review 2021 we want to help you find the most practical diffuser for you. The choice of diffusers is getting bigger and bigger; therefore, when buying, it is important to consider what is most important, what kind of aroma diffusers you are looking for, what aroma you like and what budget you have.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Aroma Diffuser: Our Choices
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for aroma diffusers
- 5 Decision: What types of aroma diffusers are there and which one is right for me?
- 6 Guide: Frequently asked questions about aroma diffusers answered in detail
- 6.1 How does an aroma diffuser work?
- 6.2 How much does an aroma diffuser cost?
- 6.3 What are the alternatives to aroma diffusers?
- 6.4 How can I customise an aroma diffuser?
- 6.5 When are aroma diffusers harmful to health?
- 6.6 Which oil can I use in a diffuser?
- 6.7 When should essential oils not be used?
- 6.8 What to consider when cleaning an aroma diffuser?
- With an aroma diffuser, you can enjoy a pleasant and fresh scent in any room for several hours thanks to the refillable water tank.
- Many aroma diffusers are part of the aromatherapy treatment recommended for stress and tension.
- One of the main benefits of a diffuser is its humidifying effect, which reduces the risk of respiratory illness and combats dryness of the eyes and skin.
The Best Aroma Diffuser: Our Choices
Buying and evaluation criteria for aroma diffusers
In the following, we present some of the most important criteria you should consider when buying an aroma diffuser. This will make your decision easier and help you to know whether a particular device is right for you or not. The criteria that can be used to compare aroma diffusers include:
- Size and weight
- Power consumption and volume
- Design/controllable LEDs and colours
- Usable oils
- Maximum fragrance time
Size and weight
Aroma diffusers are usually small devices that do not take up much space, so we can place them anywhere in our home. The capacity of the tank has a direct impact on the size of the aroma diffuser when placed in a room, but more importantly on the self-sufficiency it offers, i.e. the more capacity it has, the longer it will work without you having to worry about refilling the fragrances.
This aspect is very important when you make comparisons between different devices, because the market offers us aroma diffusers with different capacities that vary from a quarter or a third of a litre to a litre.
Power consumption and volume
Aroma diffusers operate with a power of about 10-15 watts and do not require much electricity due to their operation. Even if the device is operated for many hours, the electricity costs are relatively insignificant. Aroma diffusers do not usually operate silently.
The electric drive required for their operation is noiseless, but audible. The noise from this type of device is not disturbing to the ear, and it is even commonly used in the bedroom to aid sleep. Aroma diffusers have an average volume of less than 20dB.
Capacity is a significant measurement for a diffuser. The amount of water determines how long you can use a diffuser without interruption. Essential oils are mixed with water to achieve spatial separation. Ultrasound and cold fogging create a mist that is released into the air.
In general, the larger the filling quantity of both water and oil, the longer the aroma diffuser can work and the greater the aroma diffusion.
|capacity||running time||amount of drops|
|150ml||up to 3 hours||5-8 drops|
|300ml||up to 6 hours||10-15 drops|
|400ml||up to 10 hours||10-15 drops|
|500ml||up to 12 hours||20-25 drops|
Design/controllable LEDs and colours
We all like the inside of our home to have a relaxing smell and personality.
The design of an aroma diffuser can be customised as there are a number of design options ranging from wood, plastic or metal based models.
The function of the diffuser is not only to spread a pleasant fragrance, but also to provide attractive lighting. In the market, you will find a wide range of diffusers that have different LEDs that glow in different colours.
You can use both essential oils and fragrance oils in your aroma diffuser. Unlike perfume oils, which are mainly man-made, essential oils are of natural origin. For this reason, many people tend to prefer natural oils when it comes to using an aroma diffuser.
It is also important to note that essential oils are not water soluble and often leave an oily residue. When you buy essential oils, we recommend that you make sure they are pure. As the quality of essential oils is not regulated and there are some very low quality aromas on the market.
FDA doesn't have regulations defining "natural" or "organic" for cosmetics. All cosmetic products and ingredients must meet the same safety requirement, regardless of their source.
Maximum fragrance time
The length of time you can enjoy the fragrance of an aroma diffuser depends largely on how long it can be operated continuously with one filling quantity. It is also worth noting that many diffusers operate automatically and take a break in between. As a result, they use less oil and water, so they can work longer.
Decision: What types of aroma diffusers are there and which one is right for me?
Aroma diffusers can be fundamentally distinguished from each other because of the specifics of the devices and the way in which the oils are diffused. There are basically two types of diffusers, which differ from each other by the use of oil pure or the combination of oil and water.
Following are some characteristics of the different types of diffusers that will help you choose the most suitable aroma diffuser for you. For this purpose, we will present the functioning of the two diffusers and their advantages and disadvantages.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about aroma diffusers answered in detail
How does an aroma diffuser work?
They are usually triggered by ultrasound at the bottom of the device. You can fill the tank with a small amount of water and the essential oil you want to use. The device contains a vibrating sheath that disperses the scents.
A good aroma diffuser should have on/off controls and a timer to set the hours of operation, which is usually a maximum of ten to fifteen hours. Its main function is to make your room a much more pleasant place to be.
How much does an aroma diffuser cost?
The high-priced models also differ in that they come from a renowned brand and have a higher quality guarantee and usually have modern integrated technology that ensures their automation.
Additional costs, such as the purchase of fragrance oils and distilled water, should also be mentioned.
What are the alternatives to aroma diffusers?
- Scented candles: made from a mixture of petroleum by-products such as paraffin, synthetic essential oils and fragrances extracted from plants and dissolved in an organic solvent, these are the usual components, although there are other alternatives.
- Incense sticks: They are a mixture of resins and other fragrant plant materials, usually mixed with oils or artificial fragrances. And they are displayed on bamboo sticks.
- Humidifiers: Unlike a diffuser, the main function of a humidifier is to increase the humidity in a room to avoid problems related to the dryness of the environment. They work either with ultrasound or by evaporating water.
- Air purifier: Its task is to reduce all substances present in the air such as pollen, mites, dust, tobacco smoke and pollutants in general. The result is cleaner air and in some cases less odour.
How can I customise an aroma diffuser?
You will be able to choose between brand, design and colour. On the other hand, there are many essential oils and each one with a function, if you already know what your favourite aromas are, the choice will be much easier.
When are aroma diffusers harmful to health?
To avoid inconsistencies, it is recommended to use the essential oils in the diffuser moderately, especially for strong smelling oils. It is recommended to use them for a short period of time, as their long-term use could have negative effects. Ideally, you should have a specific type of oil and alternate them from time to time.
It is very important that the water you use in your diffuser is clean and fresh, and in the case of sensitive people, it is recommended that you change the water frequently. This is because water that has been stored for a long time can develop bacteria and germs that can get into the air through the diffuser.
Which oil can I use in a diffuser?
Some of the most commonly used essential oils and their properties:
- Lemon essential oil: This helps us to be more active because of its energy content. It also contributes to better breathing.
- Orange essential oil: This helps us to calm down, relax and stimulate the body's defences. It can also be a good anti-mosquito agent.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: Helps with breathing, especially for colds. It also stimulates the body's defences and acts as a mosquito repellent.
When should essential oils not be used?
To protect them, it is advisable to use diffusers with fresh water, which are usually unproblematic. One of the reasons for not using aromatic oils is our pets. Unlike us, dogs and cats have a different sensitivity to smells.
While the aroma relaxes us and offers health benefits, it can make them sick, especially cats. They don't have to ingest the oil or be near the diffuser to feel the side effects.
What to consider when cleaning an aroma diffuser?
For a more thorough cleaning, you can also clean the tank with alcohol. Usually, the manufacturer also gives recommendations for cleaning the diffuser, so it makes sense to follow them.
Image source: belchonock/ 123rf.com