There is now a huge selection of lamps for the bathroom. The explanation is quite simple: Nowadays, the bathroom is no longer just a place to clean yourself, but also an oasis of well-being.
To create the right atmosphere in your bathroom, the right choice of bathroom lighting is essential. In this guide, we present six different bathroom lamps that fit perfectly in your bathroom and create a beautiful ambience, as well as important buying criteria to make your choice easier.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Bathroom Lamp: Our Choices
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for bathroom lamps
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about bathroom lamps answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
- Nowadays, bathroom lamps are more than "just" lamps. They create a cosy ambience and are an important decorative element in your bathroom.
- Important purchase criteria for your bathroom lamp are the product dimensions, the material, the water protection, the light sources and additional functions. You will be informed about these criteria in the following.
- Lamps for the bathroom are available in a wide range of price categories. However, we recommend that you make sure that the bathroom lamp fits in perfectly with the other built-in elements in your bathroom.
The Best Bathroom Lamp: Our Choices
In the following, you will find six bathroom lamps that we can recommend to you. This will help you to make your purchase decision easier and to find the right lamp for your bathroom.
Buying and evaluation criteria for bathroom lamps
To help you find the right lamp for your bathroom, we will inform you in the following about the most important buying and evaluation criteria. In this way, you will be perfectly prepared for your purchase and make a considered and objective choice. The most important purchase and evaluation criteria are as follows:
Nowadays, there are many different types of bathroom lamps. So think carefully about which type of bathroom lamp is best suited for your bathroom or even combine several lamps with each other. Ask your specialist dealer for advice, because the dimensions, shape and weight of your bathroom lamp are entirely up to you.
Bathroom lamps made of glass and metals such as aluminium, nickel, chrome and stainless steel are particularly suitable for the bathroom. These materials are not as susceptible to moisture because they are usually rust-protected, IP-certified and water-protected to the respective degree.
Lamps in the bathroom are regularly exposed to water. That's why you should pay attention to the IP protection class, which contains two numbers, before you buy. The higher the IP code, the better the bathroom lamp is protected from the effects of water. The second number indicates the degree of protection against moisture and water. The most important protection areas and types include:
|Protection area||Protection type||Bathroom zone|
|0||IP-67: waterproof up to temporary submersion||Inner area of bathtub and shower|
|1||IP-65: jet-proof||Area above bathtub and shower, wall up to 2.25 m height|
|2||IP-44: splash-proof||Extended 60 cm zone, wall up to 2.25 m height|
For your own safety, please follow these instructions. In the best case, seek additional advice from a specialist. As you can see, bathroom lamps must have a special suitability that distinguishes them from other lamps.
LEDs are now the most commonly used light source in bathrooms. When choosing a lamp base, you should make sure that it has an E27 screw thread with a diameter of 27 millimetres or a GU10 base, which is mainly used for spotlights. For bathroom lighting, we recommend a base between 4,000 and 8,000 lumens. The unit "lumen" refers to the luminous flux or intensity.
To estimate the power consumption of the light source, manufacturers give the consumption in watts, but rarely in lumens. Do not be deceived by the wattage. The colour temperature of the light is divided into three qualities: warm white, neutral white and daylight white, and is measured in Kelvin.
|Light quality||colour temperature in Kelvin|
|Warm white||up to 3,000|
|Neutral white||up to 5,000|
|Daylight white||up to 8,000|
When buying a lamp, also pay attention to its service life, which is indicated on the packaging as its burning time in hours. Compared with incandescent lamps, the electricity savings with LED and compact fluorescent lamps can be as much as 90% and they can have a life of about 35,000 hours.
Dimmable lamps are the current trend, also in the bathroom. If you also want to emphasise certain elements in your bathroom, look out for swivel and tilt spots when buying. Do you want to listen to music while you shower?
Then you should consider buying a bathroom lamp that includes Bluetooth functionality. Smart controls such as light regulation are also popular features that you can control with a remote control or mobile app.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about bathroom lamps answered in detail
In the following, you will find more information about bathroom lamps so that you can gain a deeper insight into the topic.
Which lamps are suitable for the bathroom?
In order to create an optimal lighting situation, especially in large bathrooms, different luminaires are combined with each other. In this way, the respective bathroom area can be illuminated to the desired degree.
But be careful: because bathrooms are regularly used for showering and/or bathing, they are wet rooms. For this reason, only lamps that are protected from the effects of water are suitable for bathrooms. You can read more about this under the purchase or evaluation criterion of water protection.
What does a bathroom lamp cost?
|Price range||short product description|
|Low-priced (10 - 30 €)||mostly small bathroom lamps, low light quality, no additional functions|
|Medium-priced (30 - 80 €)||modern bathroom lamps, good light quality, possibly already with additional functions|
|High-priced (80 € and more)||rather large and very modern bathroom lamps, very good light quality, mostly with additional functions|
In the medium price range, you will find high-quality bathroom lamps that fulfil the most important basic functions. However, we advise you always to check whether the lamp is a main or supplementary light.
How do I install a bathroom lamp?
When you buy a bathroom lamp, installation instructions are usually included in the packaging. Please always follow these instructions very carefully. However, there are also basic steps that you should follow before installing the bathroom lamp:
- Light source: It is best to install the bathroom lamp during the day and, to be on the safe side, take a torch with you.
- Tools: You will usually need a screwdriver, a voltage tester, a luster terminal and a stable ladder if the bathroom lamp is to be mounted on the ceiling.
- Fuse box: Before you attach the bathroom lamp, the respective lamp fuse in the fuse box should be switched off. Use a phase tester to check whether you have switched off the correct lamp fuse.
- Drill: Before you do this, you should also drill the appropriate holes for the lamp holder. Important: Call an electrician immediately if you accidentally damage an electrical wire.
- Connecting the cables: Slightly loosen the screws on the respective luster terminal. Then use them to connect the cables protruding from the ceiling or wall with the cables of the same colour of the bathroom lamp: first the protective conductor (yellow with green), then the neutral conductor (blue with grey) and finally the outer conductor (brown with black).
- Check: To check whether the bathroom lamp can now be switched on and off, first tighten the screws on the luster terminal and switch the respective lamp fuse back on.
We strongly advise you to always follow the above instructions when installing lamps in order to avoid electric shock or anything else and to carry out the installation safely.
Turn your bathroom into a beautiful oasis of well-being with the right lighting. Create a cosy ambience with the right lighting. This way, you can look forward to getting ready for the day in your bathroom in the morning. Be inspired by the wide variety of bathroom lamp types and make a well-considered decision.
As you now know, not only the external characteristics of the bathroom lamps, such as the product dimensions and the material, are important purchase criteria, but also further information on water protection and the light sources used. You should also think about practical additional functions.
Image source: Chastity Cortijo / Unsplash