Your bedroom is an oasis of relaxation, recharging and refocusing that you'll be happy to return to every evening. One of the most important ingredients for the tranquil atmosphere of the bedroom is its lighting: well-configured lighting can transform the bedroom from a clean space to a real retreat from everyday life.
There are certain nuances that go with any space, and the bedroom is no exception when it comes to lighting. Using layers of ambient, task and accent lighting with careful placement and dimmers has a huge impact on the look and feel of the bedroom.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important things
- 3 The Best Bedroom Lamp: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and review criteria for wireless security cameras
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about bedroom lamps answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
The most important things
- Bedrooms are personal living spaces that are calming, romantic and functional depending on the need and time of day. Lighting arguably plays the most important role in setting the tone for these many moods.
- One unique lighting feature that can take your bedroom to a whole new level is the dimmer. With the dimmer, you can easily switch between different lighting moods by touching the screen or pressing a button. In today's technology, the possibilities are endless.
- A common mistake most of us make when choosing lights for our bedroom is to prioritise aesthetics over ergonomics. Always make sure that the light you buy diffuses the amount of light you need for that purpose.
The Best Bedroom Lamp: Our Picks
Buying and review criteria for wireless security cameras
A bedroom lamp or lamps, depending on the size of your room and other factors, serves two main purposes, dimming the room to a more comfortable setting and providing enough light for reading without straining your eyes. There are several options for bedroom lighting today.
We will look at the following aspects that will help you choose from a variety of possible bedroom lights. The criteria you could use to compare different bedroom lights include:
- Light source
- Disposal of light bulbs
- Smart luminaires with remote control or mobile app
- Lampshade and shade: For bedside lamps
Here are some criteria you should consider before making the right purchase.
Depending on your usage requirements and the atmosphere you want to create in your bedroom with the bedroom lights, you need to choose the right light bulb. There are several types of light bulbs, each suited to different needs. For example, if you are the type of person who feels the need to change the environment of the room with different colours, LEDs are the best option as they don't need a film to change the colour.
You could just buy LEDs where you could set different colours. For a brighter bedroom lamp, we would suggest going for CFLs as they give out very bright light without using too much energy. Vintage bedroom lamps look great with older bulbs and are only used for a nostalgic ambience, however they are extremely expensive compared to other types of bulbs as they are not energy efficient and have a very short lifespan.
Disposal of light bulbs
The German Electrical and Electronic Equipment Act (Elektro- und Elektronikgerätegesetz) states that LED modules, fluorescent tubes and also energy-saving lamps must not be thrown into household waste because they may contain gases, mercury or other harmful substances. However, since almost all components of the lamps can be recycled, the separate collection and recycling of these items offers great ecological advantages.
So before you decide on a bedroom lamp, you should find out about the proper disposal options. LEDs can last up to 10 years, while incandescent bulbs have the shortest lifespan. On the other hand, CFLs are made of mercury, which is extremely toxic and should be disposed of carefully. You should also check with local authorities about the disposal of light bulbs and other e-waste.
Smart luminaires with remote control or mobile app
Today, we also see various smart lights that can be controlled via a mobile app or remote control. There are many benefits of smart light bulbs, especially those that can be connected to your mobile devices. Apart from convenience, these apps also collect important data that can help you better understand your consumption, inform you about the best energy saving options, etc. Moreover, with most of the options available in the market, you could easily adjust the dimmer and change the colours.
Lampshade and shade: For bedside lamps
An important decision you should make when buying a bedside lamp is the lampshade and its size. Don't just be attracted by the style and pattern of the shade, but also consider the ergonomics and proportions of the shade in relation to the lamp body.
The diameter of the lampshade should be at least 2 inches smaller than the length of the body, and the drum shade is definitely the safest choice out there. The narrower the base of the shade, the smaller the illuminated area will be; take this arc into account before making a purchase.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about bedroom lamps answered in detail
A bedroom is the place where you find peace to relax your mind, unwind and get some healthy hours of sleep. For this reason, lighting is the most important factor you should consider when designing your bedroom. In the following section, we have answered some of the most important questions that may be on your mind when you are thinking about implementing a lighting plan for your bedroom. We have expanded the scope from design to the technology available today.
Bedroom lighting basics: what to consider?
Ambient light can be provided by floor lamps, architectural lighting or a pair of sconces flanking a wall mirror. As the bedroom is a space where a relaxing, sympathetic atmosphere is desired, it is best to avoid central ceiling lights without dimmers, which may be perceived as too harsh from the bed. When planning the light output, consider the colour of the bedroom walls, as dark walls reflect less light.
Ceiling or recessed luminaires are usually used for a wardrobe. A traditional lighting plan for a bedroom might consist of floor and table lamps only, with table lamps on bedside tables and the dresser. A new lighting plan might include either sconces on the side of the bed or table lamps on the nightstands, plus a pair of sconces near the dresser.
What types of luminaires are there?
|Incandescentbulbs||Incandescent bulbs are the typical light bulbs. In an incandescent lamp, a tungsten filament glows when the current flows through it, illuminating the lamp. The tungsten filament is surrounded by a vacuum or nitrogen gas. The bulbs are available in different sizes, e.g. GLS, Globe, Candy, Mushroom.||750-2000 hours|
|LED||An LED bulb consists of several diodes that produce the required amount of light. As semiconductors, LEDs are very energy efficient and can produce brighter light with less energy. An LED can emit coloured light without using colour filters||10000-50000 hours.|
|Halogens||Halogen lamps are an improved version of the incandescent lamp in which the tungsten filament is encased in a compact, transparent envelope. The incandescent lamp gets its name from the filling of a small amount of halogen with an inert gas. The inert gas increases the brightness and life of the incandescent lamp, resulting in higher luminous efficacy. In addition, these lamps are smaller compared to incandescent lamps||2000-4000 hours.|
|Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (KFL/CFL)||CFLs were developed to replace incandescent bulbs in homes and commercial buildings. Working on the principle of fluorescent lamps, the CFL produces the same amount of light with less electricity. It consists of several tubular loops filled with mercury and is similar to the incandescent bulb||10000 hours|
Do lights get a little dimmer over time?
As light bulbs get older, different components fail at different rates. Filaments may become brittle and the light may flicker or dim intermittently. Other factors that can cause your light to dim or flicker include circuit overload, faulty wiring, problems with the mains supply or faulty ballasts.
How can I check the different types of bulbs?
For light bulbs, readings above zero indicate that your bulb is working, while readings at zero mean that the bulb has burned out and it is time for a new one. For fluorescent lamps, a reading between 0.5 and 1.2 ohms means your bulb has continuity and should work fine. For LEDs, a value of 3 ohms means your diode is working perfectly, an empty value means the diode is burnt out.
What are the technologies that will be combined with lighting in 2020?
1. Internet of Things The connected lighting technology that will connect all your electronic devices to your lighting fixtures will be the Internet of Things. IoT is an area of technology that will connect your lighting fixtures to your smart devices via the internet. This technology has brought about the remote controlled lighting fixtures that can be operated with our smart gadgets. With this technology, you could, for example, turn on your lights from your car using your smartphone even before you enter your house.
2. Wireless technology Wireless lighting technology will play an important role in the lighting industry, especially in retrofit projects. In addition to radio-based systems, there are also technologies such as powerline communication, which uses power lines to transmit data to and from your lights. In addition, wired lighting systems are nowadays being replaced by wireless lighting technology because it is easy to control and easily accessible.
3. Healthy lighting technology Research has been done into the concept - the effects of colour on mood. It has been researched that light colour, wave spectrum and temperature of light affects a person's mood and productivity. With this phenomenon, healthy lighting and health-oriented lighting fixtures will become popular in the next year. LEDs are used with healthy lighting technology to create an extraordinary ambience.
4. Energy technology Nowadays, LED lighting fixtures come with drivers that help convert the main power supply into the light source. Now, new lighting power technologies are emerging with the wide range of benefits. Drivers are the first part of the lighting system, but today many companies are using new lighting power technologies such as LED chips, which make the LED drivers fail. The latest innovation in lighting power technology is Ethernet, which delivers power over data cables.
5. LiFi technology Lighting will no longer light up your home. Lights will turn into data today and a new technology called LiFi like WiFi will be an emerging trend of 2020. Lights will now be used for both light and communication. This technology will transform your shops, museums and interiors into high-tech places where the new system will emerge.
With all these different elements that make up good lighting for a bedroom, it can seem daunting to figure out what style of lighting you want, let alone arrange them in the most aesthetically pleasing and functional way. It's true that some lights work particularly well in certain places or as complements to certain pieces of furniture.
Task lights not only offer utility, but also the opportunity to add a design element to your desk or nightstand. Accent lights sporadically placed on the wall or next to a chair can draw the eye to different points in your bedroom as well as the bed, taking people who enter it on a visual journey. And of course, chandeliers offer a stunning look both on their own and through the light they provide.
Image source: Tan Danh / Pexels