Those who like extreme sports have already heard of BMX and the small BMX bicycle, which is capable of reaching high speeds and performing an infinite number of manoeuvres.
At first this type of bike was not taken seriously due to its relatively simple characteristics, however, it was discovered that they have great advantages and are ideal for those who want to practice this sport. In this text we will bring all the information about this product and at the end of the reading you will be ready to choose your BMX bike and start adventuring around, let's go?
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best BMX Bike: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Purchase criteria: Factors to compare and choose your BMX bike
- A BMX bike is smaller than a regular bike. It has a 20" rim, thick tyres and can have brakes only at the rear, on both wheels or not at all.
- Even so, it does not have only one size and when choosing yours it is necessary to analyse which is the most recommended for your height or age.
- The price of these bikes starts at around $ 400, but can go up to over $ 2 thousand.
The Best BMX Bike: Our Picks
The bicycle or BMX is a sport that started shy, but that has been gaining its space and currently there are several competitions and passionate by the modality. The BMX bike is, in turn, the main tool for this practice, being the best friend of competitors and even those who just like to venture out.
In case you already practice this sport or you are starting it and want to know more about this type of bike, just keep reading this buying guide. In it we have gathered all the essential information for those who are looking to buy this product and learn more about it.
What is a BMX bike?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a BMX bike?
What are the types of BMX bicycles?
- BMX Race: This model is the most common and it is focused on high speed competitions with several jumps and turns. They have a construction that combines agility with lightness and was created taking as inspiration the motorbikes that are used in the practice of motocross.
- BMX Freestyle: This bike can be used for several riding styles, and can be used on the streets or terrains. However, it is not very suitable for racing, since it is as fast as the race model.
- BMX Street: BMX Street is a modality that occurs in urban areas, so this bike model usually has less thick tyres and is more focused on adherence and speed. It is a little heavier and has front and rear brakes.
- BMX Vert: This BMX bike is created to be used on ramps, so it is usually assembled according to the rider's preference. What they usually have in common are the flat tyres.
- BMX Dirty Jump: This type of BMX bike is a union of the race model with freestyle. They are built in a way that they are ideal for jumping, but they also have tyres with great grip for dirt tracks.
- BMX Flatland: This model has a smaller and more compact frame, closer upper and lower tubes and has a mechanism called Freecoaster, in which it is possible to turn the rear wheel in the opposite direction without rotating the pedal backwards. In addition, the cranks are short and the tyres are flat.
How much does it cost?
Purchase criteria: Factors to compare and choose your BMX bike
Especially for those who are looking for a BMX bike for competitions, it is essential to make a right choice regarding the model you will buy, because it will have a big participation in the results. Knowing that, we listed below the main points that you should analyze when comparing the models, they are:
- Bike type
- Age group
- Customised or ready-made
Now, check out in detail each of these factors. This way you will be ready to make your choice.
Type of bike
Remember above that we showed you that there are several types of BMX bicycles? Well, this is the moment that this must be taken into consideration. If you are not 100% sure about what kind of bike you will practice, you can choose a bike that is more versatile like the Freestyle, but if you have already defined what area you will choose, focus on it and choose a specific model. As the investment is high, it is smarter to analyze this factor before buying the bike, because each one of them is created with different characteristics that adapt better to a type of riding.
BMX bikes come in a few different sizes, the most common being: small, medium, large and extra large. Each of these sizes is suitable for a rider's height and, even if this is not completely followed, for those who are starting out it can be important. Below there is a table where you can check the average between height and size of the bikes so that you can arrive at the shop with a defined size.
|Rider height||Top tube||Handlebar height||Handlebar width|
|Up to 1 meter||15"- 15.5"||2"-2.5"||20"- 21.5"|
|From 1 to 1.15 meters||15,5"- 16,5"||2" - 3,5"||21"- 23"|
|From 1,10 to 1,25 meters||16"- 17,5"||3" - 4,5"||22"- 24,5"|
|From 1,20 to 1,35 meters||17"- 18,5"||4.5" - 6"||24"- 26"|
|From 1.30 to 1.45 meters||18" - 19"||6" - 7.5"||26"- 27"|
|From 1.40 to 1.50 meters||18.5" - 19.5"||7" - 8"||27"- 28"|
|From 1.50 to 1.75 meters||19" - 21"||7" - 8"||27"- 28"|
|Over 1.75 meters||Over 20.5||7" - 8"||28"|
In addition to height, the age indicated by the manufacturer can also be taken into consideration. There are options for children from 6 to 12 years, others from 8 years and so on. Usually the youngest will use a model with a slightly smaller frame and pedals, while adults or older children have a greater variety of options. Especially for those who are just starting out in the sport it can be easier to choose the bike this way.
Customised or ready-made
Another variation with regards to this product is in whether you buy it factory ready or customize it. There are excellent ready-made options, even, thanks to the presence of the most diverse types of BMX bike it is quite easy to find a model that is ideal and meets the needs.
However, in the case of high performance competitors or those who have not found the ideal option, it is worth considering the option of customising your bike. That way it is possible to compose all the desired features in just one product. But it is worth remembering that the custom option is more expensive and requires in-depth knowledge of the subject so that everything goes as planned.
(Source of the highlighted image: jklugiewicz / Pixabay)