When summer comes around and you go outside to enjoy the outdoors, every part of your body appreciates the warmth and sun, except your skin. When exposed to excessive heat and sun, your skin dehydrates considerably and body oils soon become your best ally. Thanks to the high concentration of vitamins and unsaturated fatty acids, body oils nourish and revitalize your skin perfectly during the summer months.
On the market today it is possible to purchase moisturizing, firming and softening body oils. Some body oils help with skin regeneration meanwhile others fight stretch marks. Choosing the specific type of body oil that best suits your needs is not an easy task, which is why we have prepared this guide for you. If you want to have the healthiest and smoothest looking skin, keep reading on.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Body Oil: Our Picks
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Body Oil
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Body oils are skincare products obtained from plants. The best body oil comes from plants that are grown in the most natural way possible, whereby the use of fertilizers and pesticides is avoided.
- Although moisturizers have many benefits for the body and skin, body oils have special characteristics that make them a unique product. In comparison to moisturizers, body oils last longer on the skin, a smaller amount is required, and the majority of the ingredients are 100% natural.
- When making a choice on which body oil to purchase, there are many aspects that you should consider. You should pay close attention to your specific skin type and the reasons why you want to buy body oil in order to make a successful purchase.
The Best Body Oil: Our Picks
As there is such a huge range of body oils on the market, narrowing the search down to the best products can be a difficult task. Choosing an unsatisfactory product will be a disappointing experience that may put you off body oils forever. To make sure that this doesn't happen, we've prepared a list of the best body oils that currently exist on the market so that you are not overwhelmed by hundreds of options.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Body Oil
Surprising to many, body oils have been used for centuries and are not just a new trend that many people think they are. The benefits that they provide to the body have been harnessed by indigenous communities long before modern manufacturing companies began producing products for sale online. So that you can learn about the most important aspects of body oil and purchase the right product, we've prepared the following section explaining everything you need to know about these products.
What are body oils exactly?
There are body oils that are suitable for all skin types and their benefits vary depending on the product. Body oils can be used to soothe skin irritations, help fight stretch marks and cellulite or be used in aromatherapy. The benefits of body oils are not solely for the body but also the mind as the relaxing aroma helps to combat stress.
How do body oils differ from moisturizers?
|Body oils||Moisturizing creams|
|Duration||Absorbed by the skin to provide long-lasting hydration.||Washes off easily and the soothing sensation usually disappears after a short time.|
|Application||Body oils are most effective when applied to wet skin.||Moisturizing creams can be used at any time of day, but always on dry skin.|
|Hydration||Body oils are able to trap moisture on your skin surface well.||Moisturizers penetrate and hydrate the skin deeper.|
|Price||Body oils tend to be cheaper and just a few drops are needed per application.||Although there are varying prices, the most effective moisturizers are usually more expensive.|
What types of body oils are there?
- Rosehip oil: Contains large amounts of polyunsaturated essential fatty acids, which are very effective for skin regeneration. This oil can be used to prevent the appearance of wrinkles, fight stretch marks, and reduce the severity of scars.
- Sweet almond oil: This type of oil is a combination of numerous vitamins and minerals. This is an oil that is suitable for delicate skin and for those wishing to improve their skin hydration.
- Argan oil: The high concentration of vitamin-E will provide your skin with antioxidants and help with tissue regeneration. Argan oil is one of the best-valued products on the market.
- Virgin coconut oil: This oil is excellent for protecting the skin against external factors and can be used daily. Virgin coconut oil combines very well with other vegetable oils.
- Wheat germ oil: Contains vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids that can be used to fight wrinkles and improve the elasticity of the skin.
How should body oil be applied?
To apply body oil to your skin, place a few drops on the specific area and make circular movements with your fingers or hands so that the oil absorbs quickly and does not leave a greasy residue. There are some areas of the body, such as the heels and elbows, that dry out more than the rest of the body and require more oil. When storing your body oil, it is recommended to keep it at room temperature and out of direct sunlight.
What type of body oil is right for me?
|Type of oil||Ideal for|
|Rosehip oil||Pregnant women or people who suffer abrupt weight changes (due to its ability to reduce stretch marks).|
|Sweet almond oil||Delicate and sensitive skin. This body oil is also the favorite of aromatherapists and chiropractors.|
|Argan oil||Mature skin, thanks to its antioxidant properties.|
|Virgin coconut oil||Dry skin and hair. This oil is not recommended for oily skin.|
|Wheat germ oil||Dull or unhealthy skin.|
You've now learned some basic facts about body oil and can differentiate between the different types on the market. Now its time to make a choice on which oil you're going to buy. To help you decide and select the product that is perfect for you, we recommend reviewing the following criteria:
Assessing your own skin type is the most important factor in the selection process of body oil. Take a quick look at the below skin types and determine where you fit:
- Oily, acne-prone skin: Look for body oils that contain linoleic acid and omega-6 essential fatty acid. Oils for this skin type must have an extremely light texture and be easily absorbed to avoid a greasy feeling. These oils will nourish your skin and prevent the overproduction of sebum that causes acne.
- Mature or dry skin: Oleic acid-rich oils have a heavy consistency and are ideal for people with dry or mature skin. Oleic acid is also very effective in repairing sun-damaged skin.
- Burned or scarred skin: Products rich in palmitoleic acid are recommended to regenerate the skin and improve the appearance of scars.
Value for Money
No matter how much you want to take care of your body and protect your skin, you must always look for products that offer you the quality and effectiveness you are paying for. Be cautious of brands that offer ridiculously cheap products as they often add substances to the oils that are not beneficial to the skin. We always recommend choosing products that are 100% natural, with no added chemicals.
It is important to note that some body oils offer additional benefits to hydration or skincare. For example, sweet almond oil can be used to improve the appearance of your eyebrows and eyelashes. Rosehip oil is a great product for massaging your cuticles and strengthening your nails. There are also some oils that can be used for aromatherapy. Check out the multiple benefits of the oil you are interested in and make the most out of these fantastic products.
We really hope that you now have all the information to buy body oil that best suits your needs. Keep in mind the different uses of each type of oil and the advantages that each can provide you. Remember to look closely at the ingredients of each product to ensure that the product is 100% natural and chemical-free.
It is important to keep your skin hydrated all year round, even during the winter months. Every day you are exposed to harsh external factors, such as wind, sunlight, and pollution that can damage your skin, which is why a body oil can help. For a natural product that will make your skin glow, make a body oil your new skincare miracle.
We really hope you liked our guide on body oil! Please share this guide on your social networks or comment below!
(Featured Image Source: Solstizia: 83287512/ 123rf.com)