Parents should prepare an average of five to eight bottles a day which, of course, should be washed after every use. It may seem silly, but the truth is that using a bottle drying rack will greatly facilitate the task and ensure that the baby’s utensils are always clean and handy.
To maintain proper hygiene of baby products, in addition to meticulous washing with soap and water, drying them is necessary. Using a drying rack lets them dry hygienically, which eliminates bacteria.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The best Bottle Drying Rack: Our Picks
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about bottle drying racks
- 4.1 What advantages and disadvantages are there in having a bottle drying rack?
- 4.2 What types of bottle drying rack are there?
- 4.3 What materials are the bottle drainers made of?
- 4.4 What aspects are essential for bottle drainers?
- 4.5 Are bottle drainers meant to sterilize?
- 4.6 Where is the best place to put a bottle drainer?
- 4.7 How should a bottle be washed before leaving it in the drainer?
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Using a bottle drying rack is much more hygienic than placing them where you dry the rest of your household items since the latter usually accumulates a large number of bacteria.
- Although you may think it is just another item taking up more space in the kitchen, bottle drainers create a useful space, orderly and always available with all the baby’s household items.
- When buying a bottle drainer, it’s advised to take into account certain factors such as quality, design, and its uses, so that we choose the right one.
The best Bottle Drying Rack: Our Picks
When we think about products to look after our baby, we always want the best available. For this reason, choosing between the different items available can be stressful. We've put together a selection below of the four best bottle drying racks on the market to help you find the best for you!
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about bottle drying racks
Currently, there is such a variety of baby products available that it is sometimes difficult to know everything about them indepth. Therefore, we have answered the most frequently asked questions about bottle drying racks below, so you can have a general idea of what they offer before you buy one.
What advantages and disadvantages are there in having a bottle drying rack?
As we can see, the number of advantages outweighs the disadvantages, the latter being only the space that the drainer occupies in the kitchen and the fact that this item needs to be washed, so it may entail a little more work. However, its benefits arguably far outweigh this.
What types of bottle drying rack are there?
- Foldable drainers: widely used for their ability to fold and store anywhere without taking up much space in the kitchen. Normally, they enable both vertical and horizontal positioning, so they can adapt to the area in which it is placed.
- Grass-type drainers: this is what they are called because they look like grass aesthetically, as they consist of a tray with many green rods spread across the surface.
- Branch-type drainers: a model very similar to the previous one, but in this case, we find a main rod from which other secondary ones coming out as if they were tree branches.
Once we have decided on a type that best suits our needs and most conveniences us, the task of selecting one of the numerous models will begin. This choice will depend mainly on our uses for the bottle drainer and the amount of space we have at home to put it.
What materials are the bottle drainers made of?
When we talk about toxic materials, we are referring to, for instance, BPA (bisphenol A), a chemical used to make plastics and that can be harmful to babies. Although most baby products no longer contain this element, it is worth checking out. The ideal material is silicone.
What aspects are essential for bottle drainers?
- Drainer rods must be flexible, so that bottles and other utensils can be placed effortlessly.
- They must have a non-slip drip tray which ensures that everything that is placed on top and is kept dry and clean.
- Bottle drainers need to be easy to clean, and if possible, dishwasher-friendly.
- Ensure that they are not manufactured with toxic or harmful substances for babies; you should always look for quality.
- It is recommended that the drainer is removable, so that its regular cleaning is less costly.
- The arrangement of the rods and structure should allow the placement of the greatest number of items (bottles, pacifiers, teats or teethers).
- If the drainer we are thinking of meets all these requirements, then it is suitable to come home with us. There are some aspects, like being dishwasher-friendly that aren’t of utmost importance, but they facilitate the task. The more the model complies with the aspects mentioned above, the better.
Are bottle drainers meant to sterilize?
While using a drainer only for baby utensils, we prevent these products from coming into contact with the regular dish drainer in the kitchen, where a lot of bacteria accumulates. Keep in mind that sterilization is only recommended before the first use or if the child is sick.
Where is the best place to put a bottle drainer?
Plus, practically all of the drainers have a drip tray incorporated in the lower part. This way, the water that falls from the utensils is stored in this compartment, which is easily removable. Therefore, we can place the drainer in any spot without risking a stain.
How should a bottle be washed before leaving it in the drainer?
However, most paediatricians recommend that bottle cleaning be done manually. This way, we can make sure to remove all dirt and rinse them completely. Furthermore, washing the baby’s utensils by hand is simpler than you think:
- Clean the bottle when finished using it. Thus, avoiding the milk or cereal remains from sticking to its surface.
- Before cleaning, wash your hands.
- Remember that all bottle parts must be washed (container, bottle, and lid).
- Only hot water and soap are necessary.
- Use a brush designed specifically for this purpose, so you can easily reach all the bends of the different parts.
- Pay special attention to the area of the thread and the edges of both the nipple and bottle, as milk residues usually remain in these areas.
- Rinse every piece with plenty of hot water and make sure there are no traces of soap left behind.
- Once you’ve finished, leave it face down in a drainer to air dry.
- Something very important that we must tell you, is that it is not recommended to dry the inside of bottles. Ideally, the water will drain until it is completely dry. For that reason, it must be placed face down in the drainer.
When we are shopping for baby products, especially if they are products related to hygiene, we should not skip the analysis and take our time when opting for a particular one. Therefore, when it’s time to get the ideal drainer, we must take into account the following criteria:
As with any product our child will use or that will serve them, quality is paramount. On the one hand, a quality drainer should be made of materials that are not toxic for the baby, like plastics without bisphenol A (BPA), as it will be in contact with the teats.
Furthermore, bottle drainers are used on a daily basis, and constantly. Therefore, quality must also reside in its resistance and durability, so that we can use them every day without spoiling or deteriorating it too easily.
Size and capacity
When considering the size and capacity of our ideal drainer, we must evaluate from two different points of view. First of all, it is obvious that this product occupies extra space in the kitchen, so we will have to be aware of the space we have for one.
Second, it is essential to consider its draining capacity; the amount of utensils we can dry at a time. We must think of all the items that we will put in it: bottles, pacifiers, teethers, and other baby products that we wash on a daily basis. Therefore, it is advisable to find a balance between size and capacity.
Another aspect which we must consider when choosing the right drainer is its compatibility with our baby products. It seems obvious, but on many occasions we buy a drainer that does not fit the bottles we use because it is designed for other types.
But there is an easy solution to this problem. We only need to know the type of bottles we have and decide what other items we want to place on the drainer, so that when we are buying one, we make sure it is compatible with all of them. If you have any doubts, we recommend that you ask a professional for help.
This aspect is more aesthetic than the others, but of no less important. If we think that the drainer is going to be a new member of our kitchen and an item that will be constantly visible to everyone, it is normal that we worry about its design and how it is at the decorative level.
Plus, we will use it every day, so we at least have to like it! Currently, there are a variety of designs out there for all tastes. Therefore, we will not have much trouble finding the one that convinces us. However, we should not superimpose the design over its functionality, first things first.
Among the shopping criteria, its use englobes all the other aspects that we have discussed. Thus, we must choose a drainer that is useful in terms of quality, since it should not be harmful to the baby. But also in terms of size, so that we can dry all the baby’s products without any problems.
Of course, the drainer should be appropriate for the type of bottles and other items we use. And finally, it must have a design that pleases us, since it will be an item that we will use every day. In brief, if the drainer proves useful in all of these aspects, it is what we are looking for.
Bottle drying racks are products designed to ensure proper drying, with sufficient ventilation, in the proper position, and in the most hygienic way possible for all household baby products. Yes, despite its name, you can use them not just for bottles, but also pacifiers, teethers, spoons, and children’s dishes when they are a little older.
Using this type of product instead of the conventional drainer in which case we dry the dishes and glasses for adults, has multiple advantages. In addition to ensuring the correct hygiene of the items, it allows us to have them all sorted in one place and available for when we need to use them.
If you liked our guide on bottle drainers, please share it via social media or leave us a comment.
(Source of the featured image: Vadim Ginzburg: 69236091/ 123rf.com)