A BWT water filter cleans calciferous water and at the same time enriches it with important minerals. In addition, with a BWT water filter you save yourself the trouble of carrying heavy water bottles and also protect the environment by avoiding harmful plastic bottles.
In our big BWT water filter test 2021 we want to introduce you to the different BWT water filters in more detail. We compare the different types of water filters and show you the respective advantages and disadvantages of table water filters, water filter fittings and water dispensers from BWT. In addition, we will provide you with information about the aspects that you should consider when buying a BWT water filter. With the help of our article, we want to help you choose the right BWT water filter.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best BWT Water Filter: Our Picks
- 4 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying a BWT water filter
- 5 Decision: What types of BWT water filters are there and which is the right one for you?
- 6 Purchase criteria: You can use these factors to compare and evaluate BWT water filters
- 7 Facts worth knowing about BWT water filters
- A BWT water filter filters pollutants such as heavy metals or limescale out of tap water and enriches it with valuable magnesium using ion exchangers.
- BWT offers three different types of water filters. These include table water filters, water filter fittings and water dispensers.
- While table water filters are used more for domestic use, BWT water dispensers are very suitable for offices or fitness studios due to their high filter capacity. Water filter taps can also be used in the home and also have a fairly high filter capacity.
The Best BWT Water Filter: Our Picks
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying a BWT water filter
What is a BWT water filter?
The patented Magnesium Mineralized Water technology exchanges limescale and heavy metals such as copper and lead for magnesium and hydrogen ions. In addition, a BWT water filter removes substances that impair taste and odour, such as chlorine.
In this way, a BWT water filter protects your household appliances from limescale deposits and also provides you with valuable magnesium.
This is not only indispensable for physical and mental performance, but also serves as an important flavour carrier. Therefore, filtered water is both optimal for a healthy life and a delicious alternative to normal tap water.
Tip: The unique taste of filtered water not only comes across very well pure, but also enhances the flavours of coffee and tea.
How many litres of water can I filter with one cartridge?
BWT water dispensers can filter considerably more litres of water. They use an Aqua drink filter cartridge, which you have to change after approx. 6-12 months. Please note that after more than two days without use, you should rinse the filter system with 4-5 litres of water before the next use.
What is the filter granulate made of?
Furthermore, the filter granulate is equipped with the patented magnesium technology. This ensures that the filter system exchanges a part of the calcium ions present in the water with magnesium ions. Compared to other water filters, the pH value is not lowered as much. This ensures that the water and the drinks and food prepared with it taste better.
What do BWT water filters cost?
Filter systems that are connected to the tap as a fitting, on the other hand, are considerably more expensive. The price here is around 700 euros. The price results from the high-quality kitchen fitting, which has various technical details.
BWT also produces water dispensers that are in an even higher price segment. Since they filter significantly more water than a table water filter, the price range for these devices extends from about 1700 to about 3800 euros.
|Table water filter||20-30 €|
|Water tap||700 €|
|Water dispenser||1700-3800 €|
What distinguishes BWT water filters from other manufacturers?
BWT's products are characterised by their unique magnesium technology, which exchanges calcium ions for magnesium ions and thus enriches the water with important nutrients.
This innovation is not found in other manufacturers, as they only filter out pollutants but do not add any substances to the water.
What alternatives are there to BWT water filters?
However, the price, the capacity and the design of the table water filters from other manufacturers are very similar to the models from BWT. Water dispensers are also available from manufacturers such as Brita. These also only filter the water without enriching it with healthy minerals.
Decision: What types of BWT water filters are there and which is the right one for you?
If you want to buy a BWT water filter, you can choose between three product groups. These are:
- BWT table water filter
- BWT water filter tap
- BWT water dispenser
In the following descriptions, we will show you the differences between the individual types and the advantages and disadvantages of each model.
BWT table water filter
The table water filter is the smallest filter model that BWT offers. It consists of a water carafe into which the filter cartridge is inserted. The capacity is between 1.4 and 1.8 litres, depending on the model. It is therefore ideal for daily use. Thanks to its slim design, the BWT table water filter also fits in any fridge.
Another advantage of the table water filter is its ease of use. All you have to do is fill tap water into the carafe and let it flow through the filter. Then you can enjoy your filtered water. In addition, the purchase of a BWT table water filter is very inexpensive.
Due to its handy size, a table water filter is very suitable for domestic use, but the filling volume is too small for larger numbers of people, so the carafe would have to be refilled very often. In addition, the cartridges in this model have to be replaced comparatively frequently.
BWT water filter fitting
With an Aquadrink pure complete system, you can enjoy filtered, magnesium-enriched water straight from the tap. It consists of a high-quality tap from GROHE, which is equipped with BWT's unique magnesium filter technology.
The filter cartridge is simply installed under the sink and connected to the water pipe on the tap. It is best to have the installation carried out by a plumber.
There are two levers on the tap with which you can choose between unfiltered tap water and filtered, mineralised water. This has the advantage that you can use the filter capacity optimally, as you can use the filtered water exclusively for drinking water.
For washing your hands or doing the dishes, you can use unfiltered water instead. The filter capacity is approx. 600 litres, which is why you should replace the cartridge after approx. 5 months.
In addition, the BWT water filter fitting shows you when you need to change the filter cartridge. For this purpose, there is an LED ring at the lower end of the fitting, which shows the respective filter status in different colours. In this way, you can order new filter cartridges in good time and install them at the right time.
As the BWT water filter fitting is a high-quality complete system, the price is correspondingly high. Another disadvantage is that a complete system from BWT is only suitable for a pressure tank or a thermal or dynamic instantaneous water heater. If, on the other hand, you have a pressureless under-sink storage tank, i.e. an instantaneous water heater, you cannot use the system.
BWT water dispenser
With a BWT water dispenser, you can get filtered water enriched with magnesium at the touch of a button. The water dispenser is simply connected to the water pipe, so that you can continuously enjoy delicious and healthy tap water.
With its high filter capacity, which means you only have to change the filter cartridge every 6 to 12 months, a BWT water dispenser is ideal for a large number of people. This is why it is often used in offices, conference rooms or sports studios.
Another advantage of this model is the different water options. You can choose between chilled and hot water. You can also choose between still and sparkling water.
However, the purchase of a BWT water dispenser is associated with very high costs. The filter cartridges, which have a high filter capacity, are also correspondingly expensive. Since a floor-standing dispenser takes up a certain amount of space, you also need the appropriate amount of room. As a rule, however, a water dispenser is not used for private purposes.
Purchase criteria: You can use these factors to compare and evaluate BWT water filters
In the following section, we explain which aspects you need to consider when buying a BWT water filter. The most important criteria include:
In the following, we will show you what is important in terms of the individual criteria.
The capacity refers to the amount of water that fits into a BWT table water filter. The other filter types are connected directly to a water pipe, which is why this criterion does not exist for them. BWT table water filters are available in three models.
The Vida model has a total capacity of 2.6 litres, with a filtered water capacity of 1.4 litres. In the Penguin model, the total volume of 2.7 litres corresponds to a filter volume of 1.5 litres. The largest model is called Slim and has a total capacity of 3.6 litres. With this model, a total of 1.8 litres of water can be filtered.
|Model||Total capacity||Filtered volume|
|Vida||2.6 litres||1.4 litres|
|Penguin||2.7 litres||1.5 litres|
|Slim||3.6 litres||1.8 litres|
Filter change indicator
With BWT table water filters, you can choose between devices with manual and electronic filter change indicators. These remind you in good time to change the filter cartridge.
The water filter fittings, on the other hand, have an LED ring that uses different colours to indicate the status of the filter cartridge. The different colours are:
- Blue light: indicates that the filter capacity is sufficient
- Blue / red flashing light: indicates that the filter capacity will soon be exhausted
- Red light: indicates that the filter capacity is exhausted and the filter must be replaced
Before you decide on a water filter from BWT, you should find out which water options the respective model includes.
- Table water filters: You fill the table water filters with tap water. Therefore, you filter the water at the temperature at which it comes out of the tap. Of course, you can also use the filtered water to prepare hot drinks. In itself, however, a table water filter does not offer different water options.
- Water filter tap: With a water filter tap, you have the choice between filtered and unfiltered water. While the unfiltered water can be set to different temperatures, as with a normal water tap, there is no temperature setting for the filtered water. The water can only be heated subsequently.
- Water dispenser: A water dispenser offers you a wide range of water options. You can choose between chilled or hot water at the touch of a button. In addition, you can choose not only still water, but also sparkling water.
There are various accessories for a BWT water filter, which are available either in a complete package together with the filter system or individually. The following accessories are available:
|Tritan bottle||Many table water filters are available in a set with a Tritan bottle. You can easily fill your filtered water into this bottle and enjoy it on the go. In addition, BWT bottles contain an integrated strainer for fruits and herbs. BWT bottles are also BPA-free and unbreakable.|
|Filter cartridges||As a rule, every BWT filter system already includes a filter cartridge for initial use. However, there are also sets that contain either 1 to 2 additional individual cartridges or entire cartridge sets. These are particularly practical because you already have a larger supply at home and do not have to make sure to buy new cartridges in time.|
|beWell+15 essences||The so-called beWell+15 essences are available from BWT as a further accessory. These enrich your filtered water with vitamins and other nutrients. They also give your drink a unique taste. They are available in the flavours Green Hope (cucumber + mint), Herb Happinez (green tea + ginseng), Pink Positive (grapefruit + moringa) and Bodyguard (lime + ginger).|
Facts worth knowing about BWT water filters
What do I need to consider before using my table water filter for the first time?
- Before using your BWT table water filter for the first time and after every cartridge change, you should clean the jug, funnel and lid thoroughly. However, you should not use any abrasive cleaning agents or a scouring pad to avoid scratch marks on the device. You can also clean the jug and funnel in the dishwasher, but the lid is not dishwasher-safe.
- You should soak the new filter cartridge in tap water for five minutes. You can then pour the water away.
- Then insert the new filter cartridge into the funnel of the carafe with a little pressure.
- If your machine is equipped with the "Easy-Fill" automatic filling system, you can leave the lid on the filter system while filling. The "Easy-Fill" system opens the lid automatically as soon as water hits the surface. It then closes automatically as well.
- It is best to pour away the first fill of filtered water and refill the machine. However, there may still be black particles in the water. This is only activated carbon, which is in the filter and therefore completely harmless. Nevertheless, we advise you to keep changing the water until the water is completely clear.
- Now you can use your BWT table water filter.
How long can BWT filter cartridges be stored unopened?
Since the filter cartridges have to be changed at regular intervals, it is advisable to buy and store several cartridges at once. BWT filter cartridges can be stored for several years. However, proper storage is essential for this. This includes:
- A temperature of 1°C - 40°C
- Keep the filter cartridges in their original packaging until you need to change them
- Store the cartridges in a cool and dry place
- The filter cartridges should also be stored away from sunlight
How to replace your Aqua drink filter cartridge
You can replace the Aqua drink filter cartridge of your BWT water filter fitting yourself in just a few steps:
- Step 1: First remove your new filter cartridge from the packaging and remove the hygienic cap.
- Step 2: Now you should write the date of installation and the date of replacement on the type plate.
- Step 3: Turn the old filter cartridge clockwise out of the filter head.
- Step 4: Now you can screw the new Aqua drink cartridge counter-clockwise into the filter head.
- Step 5: Your water filter is now ready for use again.
Tip: It is best to turn off the water supply before replacing the filter. If necessary, the Aquastop integrated in the filter head prevents water from escaping unintentionally.
Photo source: Belchonock/ 123rf.com