Again, problems can occur when working in the garden or in the house. The best example of this is when you accidentally cut an important cable. Many people have a shock at first. But there is no reason for this, because there are small helpers that can already be the solution to this problem.
So-called cable connectors can reconnect severed cables to create a functioning line again. The weather conditions must also be taken into account here. A nice side effect can also be an optical improvement. You can find a detailed description of this tool here.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best Cable Connector: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for cable connectors
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about cable connectors answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
The most important facts
- Cable connectors are available in various designs. Depending on the design, several cables can be connected to each other.
- Always turn off the fuses first and check that the cables are not live. Before you start work, this step is unavoidable.
- Cable connectors are useful in many different areas. Whether indoors or outdoors, the versatile use of cable connectors is always helpful.
The Best Cable Connector: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for cable connectors
The most important buying and evaluation criteria are listed here.
Be aware that prices may vary depending on the quality and function of the criteria.
The basic requirement for a perfect cable connector is the material. This is also elementary for the following criteria, but also for the duration of use.
Cable connectors must be able to withstand a lot, especially when it comes to outdoor use. A high level of protection for the cable (connector) is therefore necessary. The material most cable connectors are made of is plastic. More precisely, the plastic "PA66" (or similar plastic) is used for good strength and tightness. PA66 is also responsible for protection against weather conditions.
As already indicated in the paragraph "Material", most manufacturers use PA66 for a tight cable connector. This ultimately protects the cable connector and its contents from water, moisture, dust, pressure and heat.
The International Protection 68 (IP68 for short) is standardised on most cable connectors. For this, the first value stands for foreign bodies, with 0 being the worst and 6 the best. The second value stands for the seal with regard to water, where 0 is again the worst value and 8 the best value. A more detailed subdivision can be found directly below. Protection against foreign bodies:
|1||Protected against solid foreign bodies (diameter from 50mm)|
|2||Protected against solid foreign bodies (diameter from 12.5mm)|
|3||Protected against solid foreign bodies (diameter from 2.5mm)|
|4||Protected against solid foreign bodies (diameter from 1.0mm)|
|5||Protected against dust in harmful quantities|
Protection against water:
|1||Protection against vertically falling dripping water|
|2||Protection against falling dripping water when enclosure is cleaned 15°|
|3||Protection against falling spray water up to 60° from vertical|
|4||Protection against splashing water from all sides|
|5||Protection against water jets (nozzle) from any angle|
|6||Protection against strong jets of water|
|7||Protection against two-part immersion|
|8||Protection against permanent immersion|
Refer to the product description for the ID of your cable connector. Sufficient protection is absolutely necessary!
Handling can vary from cable connector to cable connector. For example, some cable connectors require a screwdriver. Others can be fastened by hand. However, the principle is always the same, regardless of the cable connector:
- First switch off the fuse and check that the cables are not live!
- Disassemble the cable connector so that the nut and adapter are separated from the cable connector.
- If not already done, strip the insulation off the cables to be connected (approx. 15 -20 mm).
- Fasten a nut and an adapter, which are included with the cable connector, over each cable.
- Now connect the cables to the correct place in the cable connector. Which cable has to go into which connection varies depending on the connector (please refer to the product description).
- Now screw the elements, i.e. the nut and the adapter of the cable, together with the connector.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about cable connectors answered in detail
So far we have given you a good basis for the knowledge of cable connectors. However, some other important aspects of cable connectors can be clarified here.
For whom is a cable connector suitable?
A cable connector can not only connect cables, it can also protect them and give them a better look. So if you want to connect cables, a cable connector is exactly what you need.
What types of cable connectors are there?
Allows you to connect two cables together. Suitable for outdoor lighting, for example.
Allows three cables to be connected together. Suitable for e.g. ponds, in the garden or underground.
Allows four cables to be connected together. Suitable for domestic electrical systems, for example.
Triple as a box with up to seven cores
The so-called "cores" are the conductors in the cables. Cores that are brought together are then called cables. As soon as a cable is cut open, there is a different number of cores depending on the cable. The colours also differ.
A cable connector with cores is therefore nothing more than a connector that can additionally link conductors together. Here, too, there are different types, depending on how many wires you want to connect.
What else can I use cable connectors for?
A cable connector should be procured according to need. Especially for people who want to set up something electronic. The bottom line is that cable connectors are easy to use, so you don't need an electrician or any great prior knowledge. This saves a lot of money and time.
In general, cable connectors are cheap to buy. Above all, the cable connectors provide very efficient protection against any kind of destruction. No matter if too much dust, heat, wetness or other dangers for cables. Most cable connectors are equipped for this and can withstand these dangers.
Image source: Michal Jarmoluk/ Pixabay