Welcome to our big camping shower test 2022. Here we present all the camping showers we have tested in detail. We have compiled detailed background information and added a summary of customer reviews on the internet.
We would like to make your purchase decision easier and help you find the best camping shower for you.
You will also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. If available, we also offer interesting test videos. Furthermore, you will also find some important information on this page that you should definitely pay attention to if you want to buy a camping shower.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Camping Shower: Our Picks
- 3 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying a camping shower
- 4 Decision: What types of camping showers are there and which one is right for you?
- 5 Buying criteria: These are the factors you can use to compare and evaluate camping showers
- 6 Facts worth knowing about camping showers
The Best Camping Shower: Our Picks
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying a camping shower
Who is a camping shower suitable for?
However, there are now a lot of solutions for private showering pleasure, even when camping, that are almost on a par with bathing fun at home.
Every camping enthusiast can now find exactly the right model with the right system for their needs.
There are camping showers with or without a pump, with hot water preparation, operated on 12V or with manual pressure build-up, with a cabin in a tub or for fresh air freaks in a tent or even open-air.
It doesn't even have to be for camping. Such a camping shower can also be used as a garden shower in the allotment garden. No matter where and how, there are no limits to your imagination.
What should I look for when buying a camping shower?
The size of the container is crucial. Be aware of how many people will be using your camping shower.
It's not for nothing that camping is "less is more" or "as much as necessary and as little as possible".
There are different systems for camping showers. Think carefully about which system is perfect for your needs.
Do you need a system for the caravan, do you have electricity available, what about hot water or is a system with a bag enough for you?
The camping shower should be of high quality and the components easy to clean.
Where can I buy a camping shower?
This way you can see for yourself the quality and correct use of the various camping showers. It is always worthwhile to compare the products on the internet or read test reports beforehand in order to gain a certain amount of prior knowledge.
What does a camping shower cost?
|Price range||Price category|
|Up to 130 €||Lower price range|
|Over 130 €||Upper price range|
A camping shower in the lower price range is perfectly adequate for use by one or two people. If you want to go camping for a longer period of time, a camping shower in the medium to high price range is more recommendable, as it will be used more often.
What are the alternatives to a camping shower?
- Outdoor pool/swimming pool
- Lake/Spring/Sea/Beach pool
- Solarium/gym/sports facility
If you want to shower in nature, then only use biodegradable soap or at most curd soap!
Never use normal shampoo and shower gel, as these products are harmful to the environment. There are a few online shops on the internet that offer such outdoor soaps. Otherwise, the motto is "Leave every place clean and as you found it".
Decision: What types of camping showers are there and which one is right for you?
If you want to buy a camping shower, there are three types to choose from:
- Camping shower with bag/bag
- Camping shower with hand/foot pump
- Camping shower with electric pump
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a camping shower with a bag?
This type of camping shower is the simplest of all. You just fill water into the bag or sack, which is then attached above you.
The water then flows into the shower head under its own water pressure. In addition, with a solar shower, the water in the bag is heated by solar energy.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a camping shower with a hand/foot pump?
Here, pressure is built up via a pump in a container that stands on the ground. This is done either with a foot pump or a lever as with a normal air pump.
A lever mounted on the shower head opens the shower head and the water finds its way out of the shower through the hose.
What are the features of a camping shower with an electric pump and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
An electric submersible pump is immersed in the container and operated via 12V. The pump sucks the water into itself and pushes it through a hose to the shower head.
It is controlled by a button on the shower head or by a separate switch. There are mobile versions that you can plug into a cigarette lighter in your car and those that are hard-wired.
Here is a short video to show you how a submersible pump can be used and how it works.
The handling, care and use of the different types of camping showers have their advantages and disadvantages.
Depending on what you prefer and what you want to use your camping shower for, they are suitable in different ways. The following section is designed to help you decide.
Buying criteria: These are the factors you can use to compare and evaluate camping showers
In the following, we would like to show you which factors you can use to compare and evaluate camping showers. This will make it easier for you to decide whether a particular camping shower is suitable for you or not.
In summary, these are:
- Bag or canister size
- Hot water temperature
- Installation location
- Privacy screen
Bag or canister size
As described above, it depends on how many people use your camping shower. There are sizes from 5 litres to 10, 20 and 40 litres.
In addition to the question of the number of people, you must of course also have the space to accommodate a correspondingly large canister. You can also use a foldable bucket as a water reservoir.
The bag variant is best for hiking and trekking tours, as the bag can be rolled up and thus requires less storage space in your backpack.
Hot water temperature
As the saying goes "Only the tough get in the garden" or was it "Only the tough take cold showers in the garden"?
Today, you no longer have to do without the luxury of taking a warm shower. There are various ways to ensure that you don't have to do without hot water when camping.
- For those who have a permanently mounted canister or tank, the immersion heater is the simplest solution. Based on the principle of the submersible pump, it is simply suspended in the water of the tank and supplied with energy via the board current of your camping vehicle.
- Let the sun work for you. If you're travelling on sunny days, a solar shower is just the thing for your camping adventure. Solar showers consist of a black rubber bag that is simply hung in the sun when full. The black colour of the bag absorbs the sun's energy and the water inside is heated. CAUTION: The temperature of the water should not be underestimated!
- Heating water over fire or gas is also an option. Take some water and heat it over a flame until it reaches boiling point. Then mix your boiling water with cold water until the temperature of your future shower water is comfortable.
Be careful not to fill your camping shower with too hot water, as this will damage it and cause it to leak!
The location of your camping shower will ultimately determine which system makes the most sense for you.
You can install your camping shower inside a camper, in which case a permanently installed system makes the most sense, as it is one of the most robust. The prerequisite is, of course, sufficient space in the vehicle.
Another option is the mobile installation of camping showers on the vehicle. Either on the tailgate or door, on the side of a vehicle or from the roof of a vehicle.
There are also systems that are simply attached to a tree or a higher point. These systems are usually small and best suited for camping trips with a backpack.
The materials your camping shower is made of play an important role. Make sure that the quality of your camping shower meets or exceeds your requirements.
Nothing is more annoying than your camping shower falling apart in the middle of a trip. This strains your nerves and only produces new waste that pollutes the environment.
Always check for quality, compare and rely on the experience of others.
The privacy screen is optional and is already included with some camping showers or must be purchased separately. It depends on how much privacy is important to you when showering.
There are curtains to hang up, as you know them from the bathroom at home, or complete cabins made of canvas that can be set up and thus provide sufficient privacy.
Facts worth knowing about camping showers
How do I clean and care for my camping shower properly?
You should make sure that when you clean your camping shower on a trip, the cleaning agents you use are firstly not too aggressive and secondly the residues are not harmful to the environment.
If they are too "harsh", they could damage the components and seals of your camping shower.
Otherwise you should always make sure that your camping shower can dry thoroughly after use, otherwise mould and mildew stains will appear on the components and the camping shower will become unusable.
Can I build a camping shower myself?
There are a bunch of posts on the net about how to build a camping shower yourself. Here are a few ideas:
- Converting a PET bottle into a camping shower is probably the simplest option. Simply poke a few holes in the lid, fill the bottle and hold it upside down above you to shower, or better still, attach it somewhere.
- Another but somewhat bulky DIY camping shower would be a pressure sprayer for watering plants from the DIY store. By pumping a hand pump, pressure is built up inside the container, which can then escape via a sprayer.
- You can also order the individual components such as the canister, submersible pump, shower head and hose on the internet and put together a camping shower according to your ideas. Just make sure that the different components are compatible with each other.
Below is another video to show you how to build your own solar shower.
Image source: 123rf.com / 81560069