Order is an element that should be present in every aspect of our lives, especially in the work area, as it helps to increase productivity, achieving better results thanks to the organisation of small things. This is something you achieve with pencil cases.
Within the office, comfort comes hand in hand with the orderly distribution of work items, since, when you need them, you will know exactly where to find them, allowing your tasks to be executed faster. For this reason, cases are more indispensable than you might think.
It is likely that, when the time comes to make the purchase, you don't really know what features to evaluate or compare among your options, which would make the selection process difficult. If this is your case, you don't have to worry at all, because through this article you will learn the most relevant aspects of the product.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Case: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide: What you need to know about Cases
- 5 Purchasing Criteria
- A pencil case is basically an organiser for stationery items, especially for freehand writing, such as pencils or pens and their accessories. They consist of a space, either as a pocket or in slots, to place the items, preventing them from getting lost.
- There are many different models on the market today, which can confuse you when selecting the right one. There are two particular types you should look out for: pouch-style cases, which have a larger capacity, and divider-style cases, which organise one item at a time.
- Before you make your final decision, it is important to keep in mind and be aware of certain aspects, which will allow you to compare one model with another, helping you to choose the most suitable one. Factors such as material, number of compartments, use and closure are relevant.
The Best Case: Our Picks
Buying Guide: What you need to know about Cases
After familiarising yourself with the three best cases in the ranking above, the picture may be a little clearer for this article. However, it is important that, before you make your purchase, you are aware of certain terms and factors that determine your final choice.
What are cases?
They are widely used in offices, where note-taking is routine, or by students of any age. They can contain from one to three and four compartments, sealed with different locks, so you can categorise your writing tools, making them even easier to find when you need them.
What are the benefits?
It is likely that, at this point, it seems like the perfect product, and the truth is that it is very good and useful. However, just like any other item on the market, cases have advantages and disadvantages, which are important to know, as it will give you more certainty about what you are buying.
Pouch style cases or pencil cases with pencil dividers - what to look out for?
Pouch style cases
This is the most common model, and the one with the most space. It consists of a pencil case with one or more zips, leading to spacious pockets, which hold a large volume of items. Each pencil is loose inside, and they are excellent for the school stage.
Pencil cases with pencil dividers
A more serious, delicate and practical model, but with limited space. This pencil case consists of a flat version of the previous one, which has walls in each compartment, where there are rings in which the pencils are inserted, so that you can find them more quickly.
|Pouch style cases||Pencil pouches with pencil dividers|
|Space||Very spacious, perfect for many pencils||Limited, slots determine capacity|
|Size||Bulky, takes up space||Slim, doesn't take up much space|
By now you should have a clear view of what the cases are and which ones suit you best. However, it is important that before you make your final decision, you keep in mind certain aspects that will allow you to make comparisons between one model and another, so that you can choose the best one.
The material from which the case is made is one of the most important elements to analyse, because depending on it you will be able to know how long it will last once you buy it, as well as what it is resistant to and what it is not resistant to. Normally, there are two main materials used in cases.
- Fabric: This is the most common material. Of all those available, it is the easiest to clean, as it can be placed directly in the washing machine. They are soft and light, and as they are made of a malleable material, it is easy to fit them into any part of your bag, no matter how full it is.
- Plastic: These models are more modern, hard and firm, not malleable. They have a more elegant and serious presentation, so they are more suitable for an office environment. Their capacity is not much, but they usually have slots to organise the pencils inside, making them more practical.
The main security element that the cases handle is the closure, which is responsible for keeping all the elements that are kept inside the case. For this reason, the type of closure should be considered before purchasing.
- Zip closure: This is the most common and used in pencil cases, although it is not the most secure. It is easy to open, which is very practical when taking out the items inside the pencil case, but this makes them not so secure. They are good for school environments, due to the ease of handling.
- Stick-on clasp: These are less typical, as they are sometimes a bit tedious to open. This fastener consists of two sheets of fabric that are joined together due to the material they are made of, which is Velcro, and are difficult to separate. They are usually recommended for storing objects that are not going to be taken out regularly.
Number of compartments
In the cases there are several models that handle a certain number of compartments, which allow a greater number of elements inside the case, as well as a better organisation.
This is the simplest model of all, ideal for single-category items, such as pens, for example. They are very spacious and useful, although they do not allow for internal classification.
This is the middle level in terms of case spacing. Usually has a large first compartment, and a smaller second compartment for specific items. Perfect for separating similar items, such as pens of two colours, for example.
Three or more compartments
This type of model is extremely spacious, and allows a very practical internal classification and storage of different objects without mixing them. They are often extremely useful in areas such as art and drawing, or in offices.
Depending on the environment where you will be using your case, some models will suit you better than others, therefore, it is of utmost importance that you know how you are going to use it once you have purchased it.
- School use: In case the pencil case is used in a school environment, whether for university classes, high school, a course or similar, the most convenient are the larger ones, with two or three compartments, and without separation slots, since you will be using large amounts of writing materials, and you will have to keep them all in one place.
- Office use: Office cases can afford to be simpler and smaller, as you don't need multiple resources for note-taking in these cases, models with slots are excellent, as they keep things tidy and help you find your pencil or pen quickly.
(Featured image source: Lightfieldstudios/ 123rf.com)