If you are reading this article, it is most likely because you are a cat lover. As such, you probably already know that these felines are creatures of habits that do not appreciate changes nor leaving their comfort zone.
And why would they? After all, it is called a comfort zone for a reason. Your cat doesn't need a psychologist or shock therapy; it only bases its life on tranquility. As the owner, this is why you must respect its space and even encourage it. Offering the best possible house to your pet is, therefore, essential.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Cat Houses: Our picks
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Cat Houses
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Resume
- Cat houses give your feline friend the comfort and safety it needs by providing a personal and exclusive space to sleep, relax, or shelter itself from stress. These accessories are essential for your cat's mental health.
- These products are manufactured with different materials – from wood and plastic to polyester and corrugated paper. While all offer high quality, their specificities and possibilities vary.
- Decide whether you want an outdoor or an indoor model. If you are not a very handy person, you may want to opt for one of Amazon's best ready-made cat houses. These are just some of the purchasing criteria you should take into account.
The Best Cat Houses: Our picks
You don't want your cat to find shelter anywhere. Make sure you purchase one of the best models currently available on the market because personal space is no laughing matter. Remember to choose top-quality materials if you decide to buy an outdoor cat house. Here is our selection of the best products out there:
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Cat Houses
Why is a cat house so useful?
A cat house is exactly what they need for these moments of seclusion or when they want to feel safe. This wonderful accessory will provide a private safe haven to your furry friend, where it can feel comfortable and protected. Keep in mind to place the cat house in an area of your home that your pet has already become accustomed to.
What are the benefits of cat houses?
What types of cat houses are there?
- Outdoor cat houses: These models are designed to withstand the most extreme weather conditions. Those that integrate a small terrace often include a roof to prevent the space from being flooded. The preferred manufacturing material for these cat houses is wood. Many have hinged doors to better protect your feline from the cold.
- Indoor cat houses: Most often made from plastic, these models are therefore not designed to resist the rain or extreme temperatures (this material being very sensitive to them). You can naturally set your cat house in an interior courtyard if you are willing to care for it properly.
- Caves: Much like scratching posts, you could consider cat caves to be a separate product. However, they are often thrown in the same pot as cat houses. Manufactured with polyester and other synthetic textile fibers, they are tailored for indoor use. Their main advantage is that you can put them in the washing machine when they get stained, which makes them much easier to maintain.
How should I set up my cat house?
- Open the box and remove all of the parts. Start by checking that all the parts are present and in good condition. Otherwise, you should immediately contact the supplier on Amazon.
- Get to work! If good fortune has smiled on you, all you may have to do is give orders to whoever agreed to help you. To get the job done right, you only need the product's instruction manual, all of its parts, and a screwdriver or hammer depending on the model.
- Follow the instructions to the letter. This isn't a creativity competition, so avoid improvising; after all, your cat's very integrity is at stake. Build the house properly and make sure that each piece is well attached. Once you are done assembling the house, go over each piece one last time. When everything is in order, you can finally invite your furry friend to enter its new kingdom.
How should I care for my cat house?
If it is a wooden outdoor model, the maintenance will have to be even more thorough. Make sure that the product does not deteriorate or rot due to rain – in which case you can varnish it. In addition, you should clean it frequently so that your cat isn't exposed to parasites or potential diseases.
Polypropylene plastics only require thorough cleaning with a damp cloth. Some indoor houses for cats are designed to imitate wood using corrugated paper. If you decide to opt for one of these options, please remember that this fragile material cannot get wet or be exposed to extreme heat sources.
You simply have to get your cat its own house if you want it to feel protected, comfortable, and have a safe haven when the going gets tough. Giving your furry friend that secret place also allows it to groom itself and rest peacefully. Pay attention to the criteria we discuss in the following section to make the right purchase:
Most cat houses and caves have a similar size that will suit small to medium-sized animals. Some can even accommodate beds inside. If you have a Ragamuffin, a Chausie, or any other breed whose weight can exceed 20 pounds, you will have to purchase a larger cat house. While these felines are extremely agile and flexible, they are not contortionists either!
Outdoor or Indoor Model
This is a crucial aspect that you shouldn't overlook. There is no point in investing in a sturdy wooden house with a roof if you plan on having it inside your home. On the other hand, don't bother even considering a fabric or corrugated paper cave for your garden. This is why you need to think about where you want to place your cat house and choose a suitable model for it.
As you probably realized, the manufacturing materials are closely linked to the previous criterion we detailed. If you want your furry friend to be able to interact with its house, you will find corrugated paper models to be particularly useful as your cat can scratch them. Remember that certain materials will heat more than others.
If you aren't looking for an outdoor cat house and Tetris wasn't your forte as a teenager, avoid models that have an elaborate setup. Luckily for you, Amazon offers countless pre-assembled indoor options. These models tend to be made from plastic or fabric, but they are just as efficient to protect against the cold, and your cat won't mind them.
As you know, wooden cat houses require more upkeep than plastic or fabric models. However, they certainly are the best choice when it comes to outdoor options. On the other hand, opt for a fabric or plastic house if you want to have it inside your home. You can throw the former in the washing machine, while the second only requires to be wiped from time to time.
Cats are enigmatic and extremely sensitive creatures. As such, we should not seek to unveil their mysteries – let alone alter their emotions – but rather receive them as a blessing. This is why you and your furry friend need a cat house. Your pet will love this personal space you offer it, where it can sleep, or take refuge when stressed.
However, buying a cat house is not a task that you should take lightly. Throughout this article, we have tried to give you the information you need to pick the best product for your pet. Don't forget to consider its breed, but also where you want to place the house and whether you will have time to upkeep it thoroughly or not.
We hope that you found our guide on cat houses useful. If that's the case, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share this article on your social media!
(Source of featured image: Kuzmina: 25088484/ 123rf.com)