The psychoactive effects of cannabis made the plant popular for purely recreational use. But did you know that the marijuana plant possesses a compound with a wide gamut of healing properties? If you want to learn more, read on! In this new article we present cannabidiol, a natural healing remedy derived from marijuana.
CBD, or cannabidiol, is obtained from the dried leaves and flowers of cannabis sativa. It should not be confused with THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, the molecule responsible for the euphoric effects of marijuana. On the contrary, CBD has an anticonvulsant effect and within the body it is able to reduce the transmission of painful signals to the brain. Today, it is used to treat many conditions, including anxiety and providing pain relief.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best CBD: Our Picks
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about the CBD
- 4.1 What is CBD exactly?
- 4.2 How does CBD work in my body?
- 4.3 What are the health benefits of CBD?
- 4.4 In what formats is CBD available?
- 4.5 How to use CBD oil?
- 4.6 What side effects are related to the use of CBD?
- 4.7 What are the possible contraindications for the use of CBD?
- 4.8 Can CBD negatively affect my medication?
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- CBD is a cannabinoid with no psychoactive effects. It does not produce alterations of the behaviour nor of the perception.
- It has been shown to be effective as a treatment for treatment-resistant epilepsy.
- Some experts see CBD as a solution against insomnia, anxiety, chronic pain and nausea. These supposed benefits are currently under study.
The Best CBD: Our Picks
We decided to create a ranking with the best products from the best manufacturers that are available to you. This list should help you find the right product and format to best suit your needs.
Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about the CBD
The marijuana plant has been used since ancient times as an ornamental, textile and medicinal
element. However, our society has for a long time relegated cannabis to its purely recreational function. A change in mentality begun in last decades and now CBD from hemp, in all of its glory is one of the most sought after products in the market. Its healing properties are being discovered across the globe and much research by endocannabinoid scientists is proving CBD is beneficial for a wide variety of health conditions.
What is CBD exactly?
- Type 1 (CB1) cannabinoid receptors: They are present in the brain, liver, pancreas and peripheral fat.
- Type 2 (CB2) cannabinoid receptors: They are found mainly in the cells of the immune system.
Cannabinoids can be divided into: phytocannabinoids (naturally synthesized by the cannabis plant), endocannabinoids (created by the body itself) and synthetic cannabinoids (manufactured in laboratories). CBD is a phytocannabinoid with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Cannabidiol was discovered in 1940, although its effects were not known until the 1960s. It was concluded that the psychoactive effects of THC are a product of interaction with the CB1 receptor. CBD has little affinity to this receptor, so it retains its medicinal effects without altering consciousness.
How does CBD work in my body?
|Nervous||Neurogenesis, creation of neuronal connections and reduction of inflammation.|
|Immune||Mediator for the suppression of inflammation.|
|Gastrointestinal||Decreased inflammation, reduced intestinal sensitivity and delayed gastric disposal.|
|Metabolism||Multiple effects on appetite and energy production.|
|Respiratory||Anti-inflammatory qualities and acts as a bronchodilator.|
|Integumentary (Skin, nails and hair)||Anti-inflammatory properties and decrease in sebum production.|
Currently, all these beneficial effects of CBD are under study. Most clinical trials have demonstrated the positive effects of cannabidiol in animals. Even though studies on human volunteers show promising results, it will be necessary to examine these findings further before firm conclusions can be drawn.
Finally, you must bear in mind that these actions refer to the use of CBD isolated and separate from THC. If these two substances are used together (e.g. cannabis smoked for recreational use), the effects of CBD will be different. In that case, the CBD will modulate the psychoactive actions of the THC, softening the euphoric effect.
What are the health benefits of CBD?
- Seizures and epilepsy: The use of CBD reduces the frequency and severity of epileptic seizures in certain treatment-resistant patients.
- Chronic neuropathic pain: This pain, caused by a nerve injury, is very difficult to treat with current medicine. Some people successfully use CBD to relieve their painful symptoms.
- Fibromyalgia: This disease produces generalised pain, insomnia and chronic fatigue. The use of CBD achieved an improvement in the symptoms of certain consumers.
- Acne: The administration of CBD (topically or orally) appears to be able to decrease sebum formation and skin inflammation.
- Hypertension: CBD has a small antihypertensive effect, which could contribute to a decrease in blood pressure in hypertensive people.
- Nausea and vomiting: CBD has been used to treat the nausea and vomiting that results from chemotherapy.
- Lack of appetite: Cannabidiol can stimulate appetite in sick, weakened and malnourished people.
- Anxiety and insomnia: CBD has anxiolytic properties. It is not a sedative, however, it seems to favour the conciliation of sleep and alleviates nervousness.
- Obesity: CBD appears to be able to alter the composition of body fat, facilitating its metabolism.
- Inflammatory bowel disease and Crohn's disease: The anti-inflammatory effects of CBD can alleviate the discomfort caused by these chronic diseases.
- Dyspareunia (pain during sexual intercourse): CBD, used in the form of lubricant or oil, allows pleasant and pain-free sexual intercourse.
- Endometriosis: CBD can alleviate the pain caused by this disease that affects millions of women.
- Asthma: Because CBD has acts as a bronchodilator, it has been found useful for treating asthma in those resistant to other treatments.
Keep in mind that these results have been obtained from clinical trials that are still in very early stages. Many of these effects have appeared in-vitro or during animal experimentation. Further CBD research will be needed before firm conclusions can be drawn about these effects.
Cannabidiol also appears to work against more serious diseases. Some people argue that it is capable of slowing the progression of cancer cells. This statement is very enticing, but still needs to be corroborated by clinical data.
In what formats is CBD available?
|Format||Onset of effects||Warning|
|CBD Oil||20-40 minutes||May contain alcohol, vinegar, ethanol or artificial flavours.|
|Edible CBD (infusions, confectionery)||2 hours||May give an unpleasant taste to foods.|
|Creams, Lotions||20-30 minutes||Does not penetrate into the bloodstream - effects are limited to the area where it was applied.|
|CBD patches||4-6 hours||Although topical in application, it does release its contents into the bloodstream.|
|Inhalers (vape)]||Immediate||Requires several inhalations to be effective. Effects Dissipate Rapidly.|
|CBD Capsules||2 hours||Capsule may contain toxic ingredients. Gelatine for example, is not suitable for vegans.|
In this supplemental guide we will focus on the uses of CBD oil. Other forms, such as smoked cannabidiol or vaping are associated with harmful effects at a pulmonary level - this is caused by the combustion of the product in the respiratory tract. The soft-gels contain gelatine, so they are not suitable for vegans or vegetarians.
The safest and most versatile form of CBD management and ingestion is oil. It will give you much more freedom when it comes to choosing the dosage and the most suitable ingestion mode for your specific case. Remember to choose a trusted manufacturer and, if you're vegan, check that your item is free of animal byproducts.
How to use CBD oil?
Today, more expert consumers recommend starting with the lowest possible dose (2.5 mg twice a day) and progressively increasing the amount until the desired effect is achieved. Moreover, these oils can be used safely topically on the skin. You can apply it on inflamed and painful areas (for example, in cases of arthritis). You can also use it to treat acne, seborrhoea, and atopic dermatitis. Simply apply this oil over the problem areas and let it be absorbed.
CBD oil can come as a tincture; in a bottle with an eye dropper. It can also come in pre-measured capsules, making it easy to get the correct serving amount each time. CBD comes in THC Free forms and is usually a CBD Isolate product. CBD can also be vaped and there are some really fun vape products in a multitude of crazy flavours! You can also buy CBD edibles in the form of many foods. With so much selection be sure you buy the correct CBD product for your situation.
- Less saliva production (dry mouth)
- Change in appetite and body weight
- Hypotension and dizziness
- Disturbances in gait (clumsiness)
Serious cannabinoid side effects (such as paranoia and memory disturbances) are associated with use of THC. Moreover, if you use CBD frequently, we recommend that you monitor your liver enzyme levels: alterations in these parameters have been described by some people.
What are the possible contraindications for the use of CBD?
- Parkinson's disease: Very high doses of CBD can worsen the ability of these patients to move.
- Severe psychiatric illnesses: A relief of the symptoms of these illnesses has been described for the first few days, followed by a "rebound" effect that can worsen the psychiatric state.
- Liver disorders: CBD is metabolised in the liver. If this organ does not function properly, the CBD cannot be removed from the organism.
- Severe Cardiovascular Disorders: Cannabinoids have been associated in general with an increased incidence of cardiovascular issues. People with some type of heart disease should exercise caution and consult their family doctor when using CBD.
These contraindications are associated to the oral consumption of CBD oil. If you use the product by topical application you should not worry about these possible negative side effects of this substance. The amount of CBD that penetrates through the skin into the blood is minimal.
To date, no adverse effects on the foetus have been reported following the use of CBD. However, experts caution that there is insufficient evidence to ensure that cannabidiol is safe for consumption during pregnancy and lactation. Therefore, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should refrain from using CBD products.
Can CBD negatively affect my medication?
- HIV treatments
- IECAS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory)
- Oral diabetics
Concomitant use of CBD and any of these substances could delay the elimination of both compounds from the body, increasing both CBD and drug reserves above safe levels. If you are being treated with any of these substances, or if you are a regular alcohol user, consult your physician before using CBD.
Use extreme caution when deciding to purchase a CBD product. In order to ensure you get a reliable product, it is important that you keep these purchase criteria in mind at the time of purchase:
- Origin of ingredients
- CBD concentration
- Concentration of other cannabinoids
- Type of oil used
- Packaging and preservation
- Best value for your money
Origin of ingredients
Quality CBD comes from hemp… and hemp loves to suck everything out of the soil… which means, if you are buying sub par CBD products from hemp that is not organic, you are ingesting whatever that plant was grown in. Be sure to check your CBD products for lab analysis.
The USA grows and manufacturers some of the most amazing CBD products on the market. Furthermore, choose a manufacturer that extracts CBD oil from natural sources. Synthetic cannabinoids are cheaper to produce, but have a number of undesirable side effects. Also, make sure to choose a brand that doesn't use plants treated with pesticides. It's crucial that your CBD oil is free of toxic substances!
CBD oil products contain cannabidiol in varying concentrations. The mildest effects will be achieved with low amounts of CBD (around 5%), while preparations with 10-15% cannabidiol will be reserved for more severe cases requiring a fast and potent effect.
Concentration of other cannabinoids
Although CBD oil should contain only this cannabinoid as an active ingredient, small concentrations of THC have been detected 1 in every 5 articles. This molecule has psychotropic properties, so make sure your oil contains only CBD if you want to avoid euphoric and hallucinogenic effects.
Type of oil used
Once the CBD has been extracted from the cannabis plant, it must be dissolved in a suitable vehicle for ingestion. Olive oil and sesame seed oil are the most popular compounds when diluting cannabidiol. If you are allergic to any of these substances, be well informed before purchasing one of these items.
Packaging and preservation
Choose a package that allows the CBD to be stored in optimum conditions for as long as possible. A dropper dispenser and an opaque container will insulate the CBD from exposure to air and light, extending the shelf-life of the article. Once opened, cannabidiol oil remains in good condition for about three months.
Best value for your money
The CBD is perishable and its price is high. Make the most of it! If this is the first time you are looking to purchase CBD, we recommend that you start with lower concentrations, which are much cheaper. Items with more cannabidiol are more expensive and these are more suitable for experienced consumers.
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a very promising substance with continued growing popularity. Its great potential when faced with those symptoms resistant to current medicine intrigues doctors, chemists and pharmacists alike. It is possible that in the coming years we will see a change of attitude towards this molecule. One thing is clear: CBD is here to stay.
Although CBD is a substance with wonderful properties, it should never replace medical treatment. Do not make drastic decisions and consult with experts before starting treatment with cannabidiol. If you use this molecule with caution, you can improve your quality of life while avoiding any unpleasant effects.
Did you like our CBD guide? In that case, don't hesitate to leave a comment with your thoughts and share this article.
(Featured image source: Roi: 86787622/123rf.com)