Ceiling fans with light combine two decorative and functional elements in one: ceiling light and ceiling fan. The permanently mounted product adds value with its convenience after one-time installation, usually by remote control at the touch of a button. On warm summer days, it provides pleasantly cool air and bright rooms at the same time.
With our big ceiling fan with light guide, we want to help you find the right one for you with the help of suitable criteria and informative answers to selected questions. We have not only selected the best models for you, but also inform you in the guide about everything you should consider before buying.
The most important facts in brief
- A ceiling fan with light combines two individual products. As a fan, it provides a pleasant climate and as a ceiling light, it provides appropriate lighting.
- Thanks to today’s technology, it is very easy to operate. Usually, a remote control is included or can be retrofitted with it. Optionally, integration into the smart home is also possible with some models.
- It can be used in most rooms such as bedrooms, living rooms or children’s rooms. As long as the diameter of the ceiling fan corresponds to the room size, it is only a question of design whether it fits.
The Best Ceiling Fan With Light: Our Choices
Ceiling fans with light: buying and evaluation criteria
In this section, we will look at which aspects you should consider and evaluate when choosing ceiling fans with light.
The criteria that help you compare ceiling fans with light include:
The size or diameter of a ceiling fan is crucial in your evaluation of which one you will buy. On the one hand, this is personal taste, on the other hand, the decision is also tied to the conditions of the room.
So you should make your choice based on the size of the room. If your ceiling fan is too small, it will not be able to ventilate and light the entire room. These would then fit better in a small room because they take up very little space by being mounted on the ceiling.
A larger diameter is able to distribute more air, which is necessary for certain dimensions. The air circulates in a circular manner, which is why it is helpful to assess the room in square metres.
|5-10 sqm||60-100 cm|
|10-15 sqm||100-119 cm|
|15-25 sqm||120-139 cm|
|25-30 sqm||140-160 cm|
|30 sqm and over||160 cm and over|
This is a rough guide, but you can also calculate exactly which diameter is suitable for which room size. You also have to consider the height of the room. For very large rooms, it is advisable to install several fans.
Most ceiling fans with light can be operated by remote control. This makes it possible to enjoy many different functions.
When you are already sitting comfortably or lying in bed, a remote control can make your everyday life easier. Depending on the model, it can fulfil various functions.
The basic function is to switch the product on and off. On the one hand, it applies to the light, which you can operate at will. On the other hand, you can also control the fan independently of the light.
Further functions cover the running speed of the fan, with which you can easily influence the room temperature. Furthermore, you can dim the lamp if you have one that is capable of doing so.
It is even easier to integrate a ceiling fan into the Smart Home, which means that you do not need a remote control, but instead use the app. This makes additional functions possible, such as timers or colour changes. However, the product must be compatible with it.
Material and colour
The quality of a ceiling fan depends on its material. The most common are:
- Wood: You can’t go wrong with wood. It is a light material, which makes it easy to work with and does not take much time to maintain. The carved sashes look elegant and sleek in the room and unfold their presence especially in the country house style.
- Plastic: Plastic has properties that lend themselves well to a ceiling fan. For example, the material is light-weight, so you have more flexibility in the load-bearing capacity of your ceiling, as larger diameters are possible. Plastic is also easy to handle, whether it is printing patterns and colours or cleaning the blades.
- Metal: Metal has a somewhat unconventional application and is very different from its two predecessors. For example, such a material is very heavy and normally noisier, which makes it unsuitable for a small room. However, it is robust against the weather, which is why an outdoor application is recommended.
The most common colours for ceiling fans are black or white. Thus, they fit into any room due to their neutral colour. If you choose wood, you can also buy them in wood-coloured sheath.
When it comes to the lighting of the ceiling fan, there are a few things to consider that characterise the technical features. This is reflected in various areas such as power consumption.
The power consumption is the most important indicator by which you should choose a suitable ceiling fan with light. This is measured in a wattage. The lower the number, the less electricity the device consumes. LED bulbs are more energy-efficient than conventional bulbs because they can deliver the same power with fewer watts.
Depending on the power consumption, the speed levels with which the strength of the circulation can be regulated are also important. The higher the level, the higher the power consumption. Most models have three or six speeds.
Make sure that your choice meets today’s technical standards. It should not consume too much electricity, but also not have few or no additional technical functions.
Also worth mentioning is whether the product has a winter mode. This means that the blades change their direction of rotation and distribute the warm heating air in the room, so that it does not degenerate into a useless purchase in winter.
A final important criterion is the background noise that a fan inevitably causes. The evaluation measure is as follows: The quieter the better! Loud noises are known to increase the stress level, which must be avoided.
If you buy a ceiling fan for your bedroom, this characteristic is especially important to fulfil. Good models are silent on the first speed, but from the second speed onwards it is impossible to maintain this result due to physics. Normally, however, the first stage is sufficient, depending on the performance.
Customer reviews are the best way to answer the question of whether the fan is quiet enough, as it is difficult to judge from the outside. However, you can often assume that technically high-quality models have this feature.
Ceiling fans with light: frequently asked questions and answers
In the following section, we provide you with the most important information you need before purchasing a ceiling fan with light. We have compiled a number of questions and provided concise answers. Once you have read this guide thoroughly, you will have all the knowledge you need for your potential purchase.
What is the function of a ceiling fan with light?
The fan is fixed to the ceiling and circulates air through the circular movement of its blades. In this way, it provides cool air in summer and makes the stay in the respective room more pleasant.
The attachment to the ceiling saves space and is ready for use around the clock.
The lighting in the room is provided by the integrated light unit in the fan. Here, too, ceiling mounting makes sense because the lighting from above can illuminate the room much more easily. In addition, some models allow you to change the colour temperature, which is useful when the seasons change. For example, a warm white light is integrated for winter days and a cold light for summer days.
To summarise the function in one sentence: A ceiling fan with light provides a cool and bright room at the same time.
Who is a ceiling fan with light suitable for?
- Little space: You have a room, but not much space available on the ceiling to mount several installations. However, such a product fits in every room, as you do not have to buy a ceiling light in addition to a fan.
- Price: You don’t have to spend much and you save money by combining them. In return, you can invest in other decorative elements.
- Winter mode: If the ceiling fan of your choice has such a mode, you can also be cosy in winter. Since it is dark during this time of year, you can also brighten up your room.
- lots of visitors: If you have lots of guests in your house, a ceiling fan is useful to make everyone feel comfortable. It covers the entire room and doesn’t disturb conversations due to its quiet operation.
If you can identify yourself in this list, you certainly won’t go wrong with this unit. Not only is it eye-catching, but it creates a cosy atmosphere with ease of use.
What types of ceiling fans with light are there?
|LED||long-lasting, generates little heat, low energy consumption, environmentally friendly material||expensive variant, weaker illuminance|
|Energy-saving lamp||cheaper than LED, charming design, oldschool character||less long-lasting, delayed full brightness, usually not dimmable|
LEDs are technically the most powerful light sources available today. Consequently, many manufacturers are increasingly switching from halogen to LED. You can also buy ceiling fans with LED bulbs.
In short: LEDs have hardly any disadvantages and the advantages clearly outweigh them. If you value energy efficiency, you should buy a ceiling fan with LED bulbs and benefit in the long run.
Conventional light bulbs are largely no longer allowed to be sold, as they consume too much electricity for what they produce. Energy-saving bulbs are not included in this. Similar to LEDs, these consume far less electricity and are therefore very efficient.
While compact fluorescent lamps are far more efficient than incandescent bulbs, they do not come close to the efficiency of LEDs. However, they are cheaper to buy and exude a certain charm.
How much does a ceiling fan with light cost?
The following table gives you an overview of the possible price ranges. The cheapest ones usually contain only the basic functions, while the mid-range usually already covers everything important. The upper class is aimed at lovers of architecture and are products of renowned brands.
|Lower class||approx. 50-100 €|
|Middle class||approx. 100-300 €|
|Upper class||approx. 300-1000 €|
You can get a ceiling fan with light that scores points for simple design and functionality for a reasonable price. You pay extra if you want to pay more for design and light. If you mainly want a fan, the first two classes are a good choice.
What are the alternatives to a ceiling fan with light?
|mobile ceiling fan||This is an affordable alternative, but without lighting and multiple functions. However, it can be placed flexibly and provides cool air where it is needed. No assembly is necessary, as it runs via a socket and power supply. It can also be taken along on holiday, for example.|
|Stand fan||The classic variant when it comes to providing cool air. Here, too, no lighting is possible, but no complex installation is necessary and you can place it flexibly in the room. However, it covers a smaller area.|
|Ceiling light and ceiling fan||of course, you can also buy a ceiling light and a fan separately. The advantage of this is that the design of the fan is similar to that of the light and you can have a wider architectural range by using ceiling lights. This also allows you to focus on lighting.|
As already mentioned, the first two alternatives are based on the sole search of ceiling fans, while the last alternative suggests you to buy them separately.
How do I install a ceiling fan with lights?
- Turn off the power: To ensure safety, you should go to your security box and turn off the power and test if the power is really off.
- Attach ceiling fixture: Take a drill and attach the fan bracket to the desired location. Before doing this, make sure that the ceiling can support the weight.
- Connect the cables: Connect the power cable to the connectors in the ceiling.
- Connect thehousing: Now connect the canopy and the ceiling rod together and attach the finished casing to the ceiling fixture.
- Attach the wings: Attach the bracket to the wings and mount them to the housing.
- Mount the light: Now install the light to the fan.
- Switch on the power: Test your installation and turn the power back on at the security box and test the operation like remote control if necessary.
Please note, however, that you should follow the installation instructions of the respective product, as the installation method may differ.
Where can I install a ceiling fan with light?
A living room, for example, offers an ideal area of application. Such a room is known to be suitable for gatherings and otherwise we also spend a lot of time in it, so good ventilation is an advantage. If the living room is larger than average, several ceiling fans are worthwhile.
Another area is the bedroom. This is the place that matters at night, of course. In warm summer days, we often find it difficult to fall asleep due to the heat. The fan can help, and because it is almost silent, we are not disturbed. With a remote control, you can ideally adjust it and also turn on the light when you get up.
A ceiling fan with light can also be used outside, for example on the terrace. However, you should note that the product should be specially designed for this purpose. Make sure it has the right IP rating, which ensures that electrical devices are protected from external influences. For example, a fan with IP44 is protected against water and the penetration of solid foreign bodies, which requires external mounting.
A ceiling fan with light is ideal if you need lighting and air. This clever combination makes it possible to access both at the same time. Due to the modern technology, it is possible to benefit from many comfortable features. Almost all products have a summer and winter mode and can be controlled by remote control.
If a simple ceiling fan is not enough for you, you can easily purchase those with integrated lighting without any disadvantages. The lighting technology is now so sophisticated that you will be able to enjoy it for a long time and is therefore a long-term investment.
(Cover picture: pcphotography / 123rf