The birth of the baby is imminent and the baby-free time should be used to prepare for life with the third? In addition to all other purchases, parents-to-be will not be able to avoid the question "changing mat, yes or no? If the decision is made in favour of a changing mat, there is a wide range to choose from.
In the following, we would like to give a brief overview of changing mats and point out the most important points to consider when choosing and buying a changing mat.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important points
- 3 The Best Changing Unit: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and rating criteria for changing units
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about changing mats answered in detail
- 5.1 Who is a changing mat suitable for?
- 5.2 What types of changing units are there?
- 5.3 Is a changing mat absolutely necessary?
- 5.4 What material is used for changing units?
- 5.5 How complicated is the assembly of a changing mat?
- 5.6 Where can I buy a changing mat?
- 5.7 Is a changing mat/cover needed for the changing unit?
- 6 Conclusion
The most important points
- What are the living requirements for the changing unit? Is there much or little space available? If there is little space, a changing table is suitable for bath tubs, washing machines or baby beds. The purchase of a folding changing table with wall mounting could also be an option. A changing mat for a chest of drawers makes sustainable use of an existing piece of furniture or even a newly purchased chest of drawers and thus saves money.
- For the baby's safety, make sure that the changing unit fits perfectly and is free of harmful substances.
- The ergonomics of the parents should also be taken into account to avoid back problems: What height is needed to be able to change the baby in a way that is easy on the back?
The Best Changing Unit: Our Picks
Buying and rating criteria for changing units
So how do you find the right changing unit? The following points support parents-to-be in finding the right solution for them:
An important factor in choosing the right changing mat is answering the question of how much space is available in the nursery or in the home. If the children's room is already sufficiently filled with bed, cupboard and shelf, it is advisable to think about a narrow solution as a changing table.Which environment should be used for changing: The children's room, the bathroom or even the dining table?
Should the changing unit complement an existing piece of furniture so that it can still be used after the child has finished changing? Or is it important to buy the furniture as a coordinated series?
The top priority is the safety of the child. Therefore, when buying, pay attention to the GS and TÜV seals, safe assembly and sufficiently high fall protection as well as the absence of harmful substances in all materials.
Changing units are available in plastic and wood. Which material is preferred is a matter of taste. Wooden products are not recommended in damp environments such as bathrooms. To avoid endangering the child's health, all materials should be free of harmful substances. Sustainable and climate-neutral production gives a good feeling when buying, also for the future of the child.
For hygienic reasons, it is essential that the changing unit is easy to clean.
There are changing mats in all price ranges.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about changing mats answered in detail
In the following, we will go into particularly frequently asked questions on the subject of changing tops.
Who is a changing mat suitable for?
What types of changing units are there?
Is a changing mat absolutely necessary?
What material is used for changing units?
How complicated is the assembly of a changing mat?
Where can I buy a changing mat?
Is a changing mat/cover needed for the changing unit?
Investing in a changing unit is a sustainable, back-friendly purchase that is safe for the child and has a place even if space is limited. Assembly and disassembly are usually easy with guaranteed safety for the child. When choosing, it doesn't have to be the premium product: safe and uncomplicated changing tops are available in a large selection in the medium and low price segments.
Picture source: Yastremska/ 123rf.com