Children's bed linen gives your children the opportunity to relax and get a good night's sleep after a long day. Bed linen for children comes in many different colours and designs and different sizes.
In our children's bedding test 2022 we want to help you find the best bedding for you and your child. We have compared children's bed linen made of different materials such as cotton, silk and linen and listed the respective advantages and disadvantages. This should make your purchase decision as easy and uncomplicated as possible.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Children's Bed Linen: Our Picks
- 4 Children's bedding: buying and rating criteria
- 5 Children's bed linen: frequently asked questions and answers
- 5.1 Who is children's bed linen suitable for?
- 5.2 What types of children's bed linen are there?
- 5.3 What does children's bed linen cost?
- 5.4 What alternatives are there to children's bedding?
- 5.5 At what age should children's bedding be used?
- 5.6 How do I wash children's bedding correctly?
- 5.7 Can I sew my own children's bed linen?
- 5.8 Are there special children's bed linen for boys and girls?
- 6 Conclusion
- Children's bed linen is available in different sizes to suit the age of the children. There are different child-friendly motifs and colours to suit the personal tastes of children with different interests and age groups.
- Bed linen for children can be made of different fabrics. Depending on the season in which the bed linen is to be used and the personal preferences of the child, different materials can be useful.
- Children's bedding is suitable for all children from the age of three. Younger infants should sleep in a children's sleeping bag to minimise the risk of suffocation at night.
The Best Children's Bed Linen: Our Picks
Children's bedding: buying and rating criteria
If you are thinking about buying a new bedding set for your child, there are several factors that can influence your decision. In the following, we will show you which characteristics of children's bed linen you should pay particular attention to when buying and which considerations you should make about them.
A decisive factor you should think about before buying children's bed linen is the dimensions. There are many different form factors for both duvets and pillows. If you are unsure about the measurements of the duvet covers, it is a good idea to measure the bedding with a tape measure before buying.
In Germany, the measurements of duvets and pillows are standardised, so there is no risk that the duvet cover will not fit after you have measured it.
We have summarised which measurements make sense for children of which age in the following table:
|Age of child||Suitable dimensions|
|Baby||35*40 cm (pillow) + 80*80 cm (duvet)|
|Toddler||40*60 cm (pillow) + 100*135 cm (duvet)|
|Teenagers||80*80 cm (pillow) + 135*200 cm (duvet)|
Often a set of pillowcase and duvet cover is sold directly, so you get directly the matching covers for your child's needs.
If you are thinking about buying new children's bedding, you should consider which material is best suited for your child. The most commonly used fabrics are
- Beaver / fine beaver
The question of which fabric is best for your child depends on a number of factors. Both the season and personal preferences can play an important role here.
Consider in advance whether your child prefers warm bed linen or whether it is important that it feels pleasantly cool on the skin. We have briefly summarised below which fabric is suitable for which temperatures due to its warming or cooling properties:
|fabric||suitable for season|
|beaver / fine beaver||autumn + winter|
|flannel||winter + spring|
|linen||spring + summer|
|microfibre||spring + summer|
Children's bed linen is available in many different variations, both plain and patterned or with a motif print.
Basically, you should make sure that the design you choose matches the other furnishings already in the children's room.
Furthermore, you should consider your child's personal preferences when choosing the colour and pattern. Little car fans will be especially happy about a bed linen with a car print, while horse lovers will probably enjoy a corresponding motif.
Children's bed linen: frequently asked questions and answers
If you are thinking about buying new children's bed linen, you will probably have several questions about the properties and care of such bed linen. We have summarised the most frequently asked questions and answered them briefly and clearly for you.
Who is children's bed linen suitable for?
What types of children's bed linen are there?
|Type of fabric||advantages||disadvantages|
|Cotton||hard-wearing, breathable, low allergy potential||dries rather slowly after washing|
|Linen||breathable, very light, can be washed at high temperatures without any problems||not suitable for tumble-drying, creased look does not suit every taste|
|Silk||can be used all year round, breathable, hypoallergenic||cannot be washed at high temperatures, high price|
|Synthetic||temperature-regulating, particularly suitable for allergy sufferers, easy-care, non-iron||no warming properties, unpleasant on the skin for some people|
You should note that the different fabrics can be washed at different temperatures and are suitable for different seasons.
What does children's bed linen cost?
What alternatives are there to children's bedding?
At what age should children's bedding be used?
When changing from a sleeping bag to a blanket and pillow, keep a close eye on your child for the first few days. If he or she tends to pull the blanket over his or her head, it is better not to switch yet and to use a sleeping bag again for the time being.
How do I wash children's bedding correctly?
|Type of fabric||type of wash||water temperature|
|Silk||gentle programme or hand wash||30° C|
Note that you can also choose a lower temperature than recommended for very light soiling. This protects the fibres and ensures that you and your children can enjoy the colourful motifs on the bed linen for a long time.
Avoid using fabric softener on synthetic fibres such as polyester. This will form a greasy film on the material and have a negative effect on the fabric quality.
Can I sew my own children's bed linen?
Are there special children's bed linen for boys and girls?
- For boys, for example, there is bed linen with typical motifs such as construction site vehicles, dinosaurs or fire engines.
- For girls, there is bed linen in pink or pink or with horse motifs. Many manufacturers also offer bed linen with a princess look.
However, when choosing bed linen, first and foremost consider your child's personal taste. If your daughter likes to play with cars, she will certainly be very happy with a bed linen set in a car design.
Bed linen for children is available in many different designs and material combinations. If you think about your child's preferences and your own expectations before buying, nothing will stand in the way of a good night's sleep in your new children's bed linen.
We hope that we were able to help you with your purchase decision with our children's bedding guide.
Image source: Pixabay.com / Free-Photos