Nowadays it is difficult to forbid a child to have contact with screens. And although technology is seen as a villain, if used in moderation, it can add a lot to a child's education. With that in mind, we have created a complete guide on children's tablet for you!
Here you will check the best models, understand the benefits for your children and also how to use in moderation. Come with us!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best Children's Tablet: Our Picks
- 4 Buying guide: everything you need to know about the best children's tablet
- 5 Purchase criteria: What to take into account when comparing children's tablet models
- 6 Summary
The most important facts
- The children's tablet is designed especially for children, for this reason it is different from a regular tablet. It is generally sturdier and with limited access.
- It is possible to allow little ones to use the tablet without excess and benefit from the positives of having one. For this, you need rules and parental control.
- The children's tablet has an important function called parental control, learn more in this guide.
The Best Children's Tablet: Our Picks
Buying guide: everything you need to know about the best children's tablet
What are the differences between a children's tablet and a common one?
To begin with, the children's tablet is themed - usually with characters according to their age -, colourful and attractive to children. He still tends to be more resistant and have a reinforced protection with well rubberized covers against impacts.
Although there are different models, most have 7 inches and up to 16GB of storage memory. It already comes with some applications installed from the factory aimed at children, usually following the theme of the tablet.
A fundamental point of the children's tablet is parental control. We'll talk more about this function below.
Anyway, it has a camera, wi-fi connection, Bluetooth, microphone and other features of a common tablet.
How does the parental control of the children's tablet work?
Just as YouTube and Netflix have a kids version, you will make your tablet entirely safe for your children.
This system is important to protect them from the dangers of being connected, especially in the case of children over 6 years old, who can already choose more easily what they access.
In practice, parents can block specific sites and applications. If the child has a social network, those responsible can also report inappropriate posts for children.
What are the main functions of a children's tablet?
With a tablet the child can still:
- Watching movies using YouTube or Netflix kids;
- Take photos to create your own gallery;
- Reading digital books or comics;
- Chatting with parents or other distant people if the tablet has the option to put a chip in.
Anyway, contrary to popular belief, a tablet can also be very useful for studying. The child can use it as a research source to carry out assignments. Or, parents can download educational applications that help in the child's learning phase, such as literacy, for example.
What is the right age to allow a child to start using a tablet?
According to the organization, children under two years of age should not have contact with screens, even if passively. From this age it is possible to insert a tablet in the lives of children following these determinations:
- Children between two and five should only have 1 hour of screen time per day;
- Children between six and 10 can use screens for up to two hours a day;
- For older children, between the ages of 11 and 18, this time can be up to three hours a day, but never during the early hours of the morning;
- These times should be staggered;
- Screens should not be used at mealtimes;
- The tablet should not be used for up to two hours before bedtime;
- And finally, it is important that the child continues to play outdoors.
If used in the right way, the children's tablet can bring many benefits to children, check out the table below:
Purchase criteria: What to take into account when comparing children's tablet models
Do you want to allow your children to make use of a tablet? Before you choose a model, we want to bring you some more essential tips so you know how to choose the best model for your son or daughter.
Theme and applications
The theme of the tablet needs to be considered. There are tablets with themes of Galinha Pintadinha, Barbie, Mickey, among many other characters. This is important to please the child and respect the indicative age of applications.
A children's tablet of Galinha Pintadinha will not please a child of 8 years and the games will not be of interest either. If possible, browse the menu to see what games are available.
Most tablets have between 8 and 16gb of storage capacity. Some even have room to insert a card to expand the memory.
For basic functions a 16gb tablet is quite functional, so if your child downloads a lot of apps or takes a lot of photos, a 32gb kids tablet may be more suitable.
Battery life can be a point of importance in some cases. Although the indication of use is a few hours a day and in intervals, having to recharge the tablet too often can be a nuisance. Pay attention to the battery life before you need to recharge.
Size and Weight
Size and weight also matter. After all, remember the little hands that will be handling the device. The child needs to be able to easily handle the tablet. A suitable minimum size is 7 inches, but larger children's tablets are available. Weight can vary a lot from one model to another, especially because of the protective case.
Ruggedness and protection
How old is the child? When they are very young, it is interesting that the children's tablet has a good protective cover. It is normal that minors have no notion of care, and the tablet is an expensive investment.
Therefore, the more rubberized and robust the cover is, the better the guarantee that it will not suffer from impacts. Also, some tablets may come with a film, another way to ensure extra protection. Often this criterion can break the tie between two offers.
The children's tablet is seen as a villain by some people, professionals and methods, but it can be used in a healthy way and even contribute to the development of children. It is enough that parents determine rules and limit the time of access.
It is important that the device has parental control, so that parents can control everything that their children access. It is the safest way to keep the little ones connected. We hope that this guide has been useful for you to choose the best children's tablet for your child.
(Featured Image Source: Kelly Sikkema/ Unsplash.com)