A clothes horse is used to dry clothes, bed linen, blankets and much more. The amount of laundry that can be hung depends on the length of the drying line. Therefore, clothes drying racks come in different sizes and with different numbers of shelves. However, most of them are foldable so that they can be stored in a space-saving way.
Laundry racks replace a dryer and are therefore much cheaper. This is also an advantage for small flats, as a clothes horse only needs to be set up when in use and can be stored again in a small corner afterwards. There are also models that can be attached to the wall. This is ideal, for example, if it is to be hung above the bathtub. This way, the remaining moisture can drip into the bathtub.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Clothes Dryer: Our Choices
- 4 Buying and Rating Criteria for Clothes Drying Racks
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked Questions about the Clothes Dryer answered in Detail
- 6 Conclusion
- Depending on how much laundry you have to hang up, you should pay attention to the length of the drying line. For small items of laundry, such as socks, there are accessories to hang such things.
- The size of a clothes horse varies. However, most models are foldable so that they fit well in every household. In addition to indoor stands, there are also some for the garden.
- If you use the clothes horse in your home, you must make sure that there is sufficient ventilation. Otherwise, the humidity in the room will rise and this can lead to the development of mould.
The Best Clothes Dryer: Our Choices
To help you keep track of the many different models, we have put together some recommendations for you. You can find good clothes horse models in different sizes below:
Buying and Rating Criteria for Clothes Drying Racks
To find the perfect clothes horse for you, you should pay attention to some criteria so that you can enjoy the product for a long time and it fulfils its purpose in the best possible way. These 5 categories are particularly important:
In the following, we will go into more detail about the criteria mentioned so that you understand everything exactly and can later judge the quality of a clothes horse yourself.
The drying line is located inside the frame of the clothes horse. You can hang your laundry on it and therefore the length is decisive for how many laundry items it can hold.
You should also pay attention to the thickness of the line. The thicker the line, the better the laundry dries without creasing. The material of the line should be water-repellent and resistant to mould so that you can use the rack for a long time.
Space consumption is another important purchase criterion. Not every clothes horse fits in every room or on the balcony. You should pay attention to the dimensions of the rack and, in combination, the length of the drying line. Extremely narrow or high drying racks are particularly advantageous for small rooms.
If you have a slightly larger room, but not always so much laundry, you can also use an extendable model. For on the go or if you only want to hang up a few small items, there are also racks that are very small and can be folded up very far.
The stability of a clothes horse depends first and foremost on the material of the frame. Most models are made of a mix of aluminium and plastic to connect the individual poles. This allows the rack to be very stable even in windy conditions.
A maximum load capacity is specified for all models. Make sure that you do not exceed this, otherwise the clothes horse could be damaged.
Guide: Frequently asked Questions about the Clothes Dryer answered in Detail
Who is a clothes dryer suitable for?
In addition, a clothes rack does not take up much space in most cases and is therefore suitable for small indoor spaces, balconies or even camping. A wide variety of things can be hung on the rack. If there are additional wings, long items of clothing or bed linen can also be placed easily. Some models also offer the option of hanging clothes hangers.
What types of clothes horse are there?
- Extendable clothes horse: The length of the drying line can be extended by pulling out the frame.
- Clothes dryer with wings: The rectangular frame has two fold-out wings on the left and right, which are also covered with a drying line. The wings have a certain angle so that they are slightly higher than the rest of the frame, which makes it easy to hang longer items of laundry.
- Tower clothes horse: Such a clothes horse consists of several levels and is therefore very high. It is therefore particularly suitable for very narrow rooms.
- Wall-mounted clothes dryer : Such models come with a mounting kit so that they can be attached to the wall. This variant is often used in the bathroom above the bathtub.
Depending on your wishes, you can find the ideal variant for you. Just think about the requirements you want your clothes horse to meet, then you can simply decide to buy one of the models mentioned above.
How much does a clothes dryer cost?
|Price range||Available products|
|Low-priced: 20 to 40 euros||simple clothes horse, drying line length up to approx. 15 metres, some with wings or extendable|
|Medium-priced: 40 to 60 euros||clothes horse with higher load capacity, drying line length up to 20 metres, some with several levels|
|High-priced: from 60 euros||extremely large clothes horse, several levels, drying line length over 20 metres, many different hanging options|
If you are satisfied with the hanging options for one load of washing, you will be extremely happy with an inexpensive model. For a large amount of washed textiles, for which you need sufficient drying line length, you should look at the somewhat higher-priced models.
Where do I place a clothes dryer?
To prevent this moisture from attacking your furniture or walls and causing mould to form, you should always open a window to ventilate during the drying process. Ideally, you should place your clothes drying rack in the fresh air or prefer your bathroom where there is ventilation.
A clothes dryer allows you to hang many different textiles. It is available in different versions and includes several metres of drying line. There is the option of folding the rack for easy storage. All around, a clothes dryer is practical for those who have no other way to dry their loads of washing.
When buying, there are only a few things to consider and the different models can be chosen according to individual needs. What's more, there is something for every budget. With this guide, you now know everything about clothes drying racks and are well informed for your purchase decision.
(Image source: Mabel Amber / pixabay)