Today we are going to talk about cod liver oil, a supplement rich in vitamins and essential fatty acids.
Cod liver oil helps the proper functioning of the nervous, cardiovascular, immune and reproductive systems, as well as acting in the maintenance of skin and bone health.
Just with this brief description, you could see how beneficial this oil is for your health, right? If you want to know everything about this supplement continue reading.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best COD Liver Oil: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 4.1 What is cod liver oil?
- 4.2 What are the benefits of cod liver oil for the brain?
- 4.3 What are the benefits of cod liver oil for the cardiovascular system?
- 4.4 Is it true that cod liver oil increases fertility?
- 4.5 Does cod liver oil help in the treatment of inflammatory diseases?
- 4.6 Does cod liver oil have aesthetic benefits?
- 4.7 What is the relationship of cod liver oil with bone health?
- 4.8 How much does it cost?
- 5 Purchase criteria: How to compare types of cod liver oil
- Cod liver oil is recommended to treat vitamin A and D deficiency. The supplement is also rich in omega 3.
- Cod liver oil in the liquid version is sold in bottles with 200 or 400 ml and can have natural, orange or strawberry flavour. It is suitable for children.
- The capsule version is ideal for adults. The supplement is sold in bottles with 30, 60, 90, 120 or 150 capsules. The dose varies from two to six capsules a day, divided into two portions.
The Best COD Liver Oil: Our Picks
Probably, when you were a child, your mother made you take a spoonful of cod liver oil every day. Even back then, mums knew how important this supplement was for children's health.
Now that you are an adult, know that the properties of cod liver oil remain essential for health. Want to remember the benefits of this supplement? Then read this Buying Guide.
What is cod liver oil?
The substance is one of the best sources of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids such as EPA and DHA, from the omega-3 family, and vitamins A and D.
The oil is consumed as a dietary supplement in capsules or emulsion. The concentration of these nutrients depends on the species of cod used in the extraction of the oil.
What are the benefits of cod liver oil for the brain?
This supplement also helps ease the symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression.
Vitamin D plays a fundamental role in the cognitive capacity of the elderly, besides acting in the prevention of brain disorders and decline in mental capacity.
What are the benefits of cod liver oil for the cardiovascular system?
The omega 3 obtained from cod liver oil is effective in preventing the hardening of the arteries, which causes a disease called atherosclerosis.
Being a source of essential fatty acids, this oil increases sensitivity to insulin and controls glucose levels in the blood, preventing type 2 diabetes.
Cod liver oil not only prevents, but also aids in the treatment of established coronary heart disease.
Is it true that cod liver oil increases fertility?
These nutrients support the adrenal glands (hypothalamus and hypophysis), which control the production of sex hormones related to libido, reproduction and pregnancy.
And the benefits extend to pregnant and lactating women and their babies. The nutrients in the oil aid in the development of the foetus, increase the intelligence of the child and lower the risk of diabetes.
Does cod liver oil help in the treatment of inflammatory diseases?
Consumption of this oil is associated with reduced pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints of people with inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, arthrosis and rheumatism.
The oil provides improvement in the clinical symptoms of these diseases. Over time, the supplement can serve as an alternative to anti-inflammatory drugs.
Does cod liver oil have aesthetic benefits?
On the skin, you can enjoy the benefits of topical use, simply puncture a capsule, apply the oil with circular movements and leave it to act. You will notice cleanliness, brightness, smoothness and reduction of acne spots.
What is the relationship of cod liver oil with bone health?
Other benefits of cod liver oil are:
- Prevention and treatment of kidney disease
- Protection against the development of autoimmune diseases
- Treatment of ear infections.
How much does it cost?
The price of the supplement in capsules varies according to the number of tablets. To compare the price difference, we looked at supplements of the same brand but with different amounts of capsules:
Purchase criteria: How to compare types of cod liver oil
Now that you know all the benefits of cod liver oil, let's talk about what criteria you should analyse and compare when buying, to choose the ideal supplement for your needs:
- Quantity of capsules
- Vitamin concentration
We will explain each of the items throughout this section.
You can find cod liver oil in capsules or emulsion. Want to know which supplement is right for you?
Analyse the information in the table below:
|Recommended dose||One scoop a day||From 2 to 6 capsules a day|
|Variation||Bottles with 200 or 400 ml||Bottle with 30, 60, 90, 120 or 150 capsules|
|Advantage||It is quickly absorbed by the body||It is practical|
|Disadvantage||It has colorings and flavorings||Some people have difficulty swallowing|
Cod liver oil emulsion is sold in bottles of 200 or 400 ml in natural, strawberry or orange flavour. This product has the following benefits:
- It is cheaper.
- There are flavoured versions.
- It is ideal for children.
- It is also indicated for those who have difficulty swallowing capsules.
Number of capsules
Cod liver oil is also sold in capsules. If that is your choice, the number of capsules that come in the bottle is an important buying criterion.
- 30 capsules: 15 doses;
- 60 capsules: 30 doses;
- 90 capsules: 45 sweets;
- 120 capsules: 60 sweets;
- 150 capsules: 75 doses.
Also evaluate the recommended daily dose. Most products recommend one capsule, twice a day, but some even recommend three capsules, twice a day.
Cod liver oil is mainly used to treat vitamin A and D deficiencies. For this reason, it is important to evaluate the concentration of these vitamins.
- Capsules: Vitamin A concentration may be 242 mcg (40% of the recommended daily value) or 450 mcg (75% DV). Vitamin D concentration may be 2.3 mcg (46% DV) or 3.8 mcg (76% DV).
- Emulsion: The concentration of vitamin A is 3795 IU and of vitamin D is 379 IU, considering a scoop with 15 ml of the emulsion.
(Source of the highlighted image: Stevepb / Pixabay)