Welcome to the Wellness Guide! Today we're going to talk about a simple, yet fundamental item when it comes to ensuring that we look good: the comb.
Inexpensive, practical and functional, the comb is the best friend of untangled hair. Its function is basically to comb the hair and ensure that it looks good.
Although routine, what many people don't know is that there are different types of combs and each one is indicated for a type of hair. In the guide below we will point you to these and several other questions regarding this product.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The best Comb: Our Picks
- 4 Buying guide
- 5 Buying criteria: how to compare combs
- Combs are items which form part of our basic personal hygiene. Their function is to untangle and divide the hair, leaving it light and loose.
- The differences between a brush and a comb are striking: One was idealized to model the strands, and the other to untangle.
- Before buying a comb, it is important that you know which model is the most suitable for your hair type, as there are significant variations.
The best Comb: Our Picks
If you think that every comb is the same, you are very wrong. To help you choose, we have selected a few models that should be strongly considered:
In the following guide, we will explain in detail all the issues surrounding this product and tell you which model is best suited to your hair type.
Comb: What is it and what are its advantages?
Its purpose is basically to untangle and comb the strands, so that they stay loose and organized, ensuring a good appearance and clean look.
It can be made of plastic, wood, acrylic and several other materials, and is, in general, a cheap object. Although simplistic, it is essential in our basic hygiene routine and should be used daily.
What is the difference between a comb and a brush?
The comb has only one row of bristles and therefore its function is to untangle and separate the hair. It is also essential to finish hairstyles, as well as helping the hairdresser to cut the hair.
The brush has shorter bristles, but in many rows. Its function is to model the hair and help drying or straightening process.
If, even so, you like to comb your hair using the brush, it is recommended that you first untangle the hair with the comb, as this is the safest accessory for the hair health, preventing them from breaking.
|Bristles||Longer and distributed in a row||Shorter and distributed in several rows|
|Function||Detangle and separate the hair||Modeling and assist in drying and smoothing|
|Price||Low||Low to medium|
Which comb is best suited to your hair type?
To avoid any of these situations, we recommend that you follow these tips and choose the ideal model for the desired purpose:
- Wooden comb. Wood is an excellent static neutralizer, therefore, it reduces frizz and is a good option for any type of hair that suffers from this problem.
- Forked comb. The fork comb is often used in curly hair, black power style. Its function is to loosen the roots and shape the hair.
- Fine comb. Perfect to separate hair strands and help with hairstyles and cuts, especially when they are wet. They are not recommended for untangling, as their bristles are too close together, and may break the hair.
- Wide-toothed comb. This is the most indicated for a good untangling, both in wet and dry hair. It is important to remember that the thicker your hair is, the more spaced the bristles should be.
- Alligator comb. Wavy and curly hair tend to go great with the alligator comb, because it helps maintain the format of the curls and, at the same time, leaves the hair light and loose.
|Purpose||Decrease frizz||Give shape and volume||Separate locks and assist in cutting and styling||Detangling||Keep waves and curls|
|Type of hair||All||Curly and curly||All||All||Wavy and curly|
|Structure||Wooden, bristles with medium spacing||Resembles a fork with long bristles||Short bristles and tightly packed||Thick bristles and spaced||It has a fold at the entrances and bristles with sharp edges|
Buying criteria: how to compare combs
Now that you know a little bit more about a good hair comb, we will give you some tips on what to watch out for when buying one. Check it out:
Below, we will explain it point by point so that you don't have any doubts about it.
The bristles are the main parts of a comb, right? And that's why it is very important that they are firm and comfortable to the scalp.
Before making your choice, make sure you have chosen the right type of comb for your hair, with bristles that will meet your needs.
Eschew the uncomfortable options and look for those that will be able to detangle and shape your hair.
Have you ever stopped to think that the handle of your comb is what gives you security and firmness when handling it? The choice of such characteristic may go a little unnoticed sometimes, but it is of extreme importance.
If possible, prefer combs with handles, and not those with only bristles, because they are less easy to handle.
Especially if you have heavy hair, it is of utmost importance that the handle of your comb is firm and stable, so that you can easily reach your desired goal.
The material of your comb greatly influences the result it will guarantee your hair. The wooden or carbon fiber models, for example, reduce hair static, controlling frizz.
The plastic or acrylic ones, on the other hand, despite being cheaper, do not have static neutralization capacity and are also considered to be more prone to breakage.
We are used to finding combs in traditional and larger sizes, commonly used at home, right?
Well, if you're looking for a smaller size, to carry in your purse or backpack during the day, this is also possible.
Nowadays there are many smaller combs, ideal to be carried easily from one environment to another.
(Image source: Element5 Digital/ Unsplash)