post content is gonna be
Do you have gastrointestinal problems and often have to fight diarrhoea? You don't know what to do about it and are still looking for the right remedy? Then you need medical help and a good overview of medicines that can help you.
You've come to the right place. With our diarrhoea tablets test 2021, we will introduce you to the right products that will help you get your problems under control. Say goodbye to your diarrhoea problems.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important thing
- 3 The Best Diarrhoea tablets: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for diarrhoea tablets
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about diarrhoea tablets answered in detail
- 5.1 Why does a person get diarrhoea?
- 5.2 What are diarrhoea tablets and how do they work?
- 5.3 When and for whom is it useful to take diarrhoea tablets?
- 5.4 What ingredients are often found in diarrhoea tablets?
- 5.5 What types of diarrhoea tablets are there?
- 5.6 How should diarrhoea tablets be dosed?
- 5.7 What are the alternatives to diarrhoea tablets?
- 5.8 What to look out for after a bout of diarrhoea?
The most important thing
- Diarrhoea tablets come in different types. You can get them as hard capsules, soft capsules, film-coated tablets, melting tablets and chewable tablets. But powders and drops are also popular remedies for diarrhoea.
- If diarrhoea occurs infrequently, you can treat it yourself with our recommended remedies. However, if you have recurrent diarrhoea, you should see a doctor. There are different causes of diarrhoea, which need to be clarified urgently, especially if they occur regularly.
- Alternatives to tablets against diarrhoea are powders and drops. They can be taken without swallowing a tablet/capsule, which some people find difficult.
The Best Diarrhoea tablets: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for diarrhoea tablets
When buying diarrhoea tablets, you can look at various aspects such as:
By doing good research, you can be sure that you are not harming your body. Therefore, always look for high quality and, if necessary, ask to see the manufacturer's certificates. In the following, we present these buying criteria in more detail:
Area of application
Pay attention to the area of application. The causes of diarrhoea are different, so that different methods are needed to combat it. Therefore, include your causes and your clinical picture in your research to find the best medicine for your symptoms. For a short research based on acute symptoms, rely on recommendations from the pharmacy.
You should always pay attention to the ingredients. Read the package leaflet and/or ask your doctor or pharmacist for information. There are herbal and chemical diarrhoea tablets.
A high number of ingredients does not necessarily mean that it works better. On the contrary, make sure that your medicine contains only the most important ingredients.
The ingredients should be considered in conjunction with the area of application, as here too the choice should be made on the basis of the clinical picture.
Quantity of tablets
When doing your research, you can also look at the number of tablets in a package.
This will help you to create a price-quality ratio that will allow you to make the best choice. The quantity in a package for diarrhoea tablets is usually sufficient for several applications.
Depending on the effect, you may need more tablets of one product and fewer of another per application. Here you can calculate the number of possible applications.
The reviews of other consumers and doctors on the effectiveness are interesting and informative for your choice. Since you usually want to get rid of your symptoms quickly, you are looking for a medicine that promises you fast relief or, depending on the disease, long-term relief.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about diarrhoea tablets answered in detail
In order to inform you comprehensively about the effectiveness of diarrhoea tablets and to give you an understanding of the current state of science, we have summarised all the important information in the following sections.
Why does a person get diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea can also occur after taking antibiotics, because antibiotics often not only kill the unwanted bacteria and viruses, but also the good ones that are still needed in the intestine.(2, 8)
What are diarrhoea tablets and how do they work?
|Effect||How does this effect occur|
|Reduction of increased intestinal activity||Diarrhoea tablets reduce increased intestinal activity in order to keep bowel movements in the intestines longer. This gives the intestines more time to digest and produce regular bowel movements. It also gives you a little more rest because you don't have to go to the bathroom as often. (4)|
|Bind harmful substances||diarrhoea tablets contain substances that bundle the harmful substances that are possible causes of your complaints in your intestines. They perform a detox treatment in the intestines, which cleanses them. Afterwards, your intestines should be able to work better again. (4)|
|Diarrhoea is reduced||The most important effect for you in acute cases is the reduction of diarrhoea. By cleansing and slowing down the intestines, your diarrhoea is reduced and you become more mobile again. So you can take a trip to the pharmacy or to your doctor without worry.|
The aim of all types of diarrhoea tablets is to relieve the symptoms. Diarrhoea is often a result of other causes. If you relieve it, you can recover better and look for the cause.
When and for whom is it useful to take diarrhoea tablets?
The package leaflet also says who the medicine is suitable for. Many diarrhoea tablets are suitable for both adults and adolescents. Within these age groups, it is often only the dose that differs. There are often other medicines for children.
What ingredients are often found in diarrhoea tablets?
- Activated charcoal: Activated charcoal binds pollutants and dangerous substances in the intestines. These pollutants can be responsible for diarrhoea. By eliminating them, a cleansing takes place and the intestine undergoes a kind of detox treatment.(5)
- Loperamide (hydrochloride): Loperamide is an opiod that is responsible for slowing down intestinal activity when taken for diarrhoea. By slowing down the colon, more fluid can be absorbed from the digestive pulp, thickening it. This reduces the diarrhoea.(4)
When buying, pay attention to the ingredients, because if the most important and effective ones are missing, you won't be helped, even if the price was cheap.
What types of diarrhoea tablets are there?
|Film-coated tablet||The film-coated tablet is the classic tablet that comes in many varieties. It is coated with a smooth film so that it cannot yet dissolve in the mouth.|
|Soft capsule||Soft capsules have a soft shell and are usually filled with a liquid.|
|Hard capsule||Hard capsules are made of a firmer shell and usually contain a solid content, such as powder, granules or small capsules.|
|Melting tablet||Melting tablets are not covered with a protective layer so that they mouth already disintegrates. The liquid produced by melting is collected there and then swallowed.|
|Chewable tablet||Chewable tablets are chewed in the mouth before they are swallowed. The effect is similar to that of the melting tablet.|
Relevant to a diarrhoea tablet is the factor that it should be gastric juice resistant so that the active ingredient is not destroyed in the stomach but can work well in the intestine. Capsules were long made from animal gelatine. Today, however, there are many capsules made from artificial gelatine or other substances.
How should diarrhoea tablets be dosed?
Please read the leaflet carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
What are the alternatives to diarrhoea tablets?
- Drops: Many diarrhoea remedies are also available in drop form. You put them in a glass of water and drink them. A common diarrhoea remedy in drop form is Iberogast. It is a purely herbal remedy that promises to improve gastrointestinal complaints.(7)
- Powder: Diarrhoea remedies are also available in powder form. You can also add some of the powder to a glass of water and then drink the mixture.
- Herbal treatment: As with many complaints, there is also a way to rely on natural treatment with plants. In acute cases, this may not be possible so quickly, but especially for prophylaxis, you can find out here what helps prevent diarrhoea.
As you can see, there are not only the classic herbs as a raw product on the herbal level.
Many drops or capsules are also based purely on herbal substances and omit the chemicals.
What to look out for after a bout of diarrhoea?
It also makes sense to add probiotics after a diarrhoeal illness in order to rebuild all the good bacteria.(8, 9)
It is also important to note the cause of diarrhoea. For chronic gastrointestinal conditions, acute treatment is often similar, but extensive further treatment is needed to get to the bottom of the cause. Chronic gastrointestinal disorders include irritable bowel syndrome, where the patient needs to pay attention to more than just the diarrhoea symptom. Here it may be necessary to change the diet.(10)
Image source: Diaz/ 123rf.com
Ortega N, Rampini S. Infektiöser Durchfall [Infectious diarrhea - key reflections for approaching this problem]. Praxis (Bern 1994). 2013 May 22;102(11):657-65. German. doi: 10.1024/1661-8157/a001292. PMID: 23692904.
de Gunzburg J, Ghozlane A, Ducher A, Le Chatelier E, Duval X, Ruppé E, Armand-Lefevre L, Sablier-Gallis F, Burdet C, Alavoine L, Chachaty E, Augustin V, Varastet M, Levenez F, Kennedy S, Pons N, Mentré F, Andremont A. Protection of the Human Gut Microbiome From Antibiotics. J Infect Dis. 2018 Jan 30;217(4):628-636. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jix604. PMID: 29186529; PMCID: PMC5853327.
de Truchis P, de Truchis A. Diarrhées aiguës infectieuses [Acute infectious diarrhea]. Presse Med. 2007 Apr;36(4 Pt 2):695-705. French. doi: 10.1016/j.lpm.2006.11.023. Epub 2007 Feb 27. PMID: 17329074; PMCID: PMC7119187.
Chevrel B. Imodium, nouveau traitement symptomatique de la diarrhée [Imodium, new symptomatic treatment of diarrhea]. Med Chir Dig. 1977;6(1):53-5. French. PMID: 865162.
Zellner T, Prasa D, Färber E, Hoffmann-Walbeck P, Genser D, Eyer F. The Use of Activated Charcoal to Treat Intoxications. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2019 May 3;116(18):311-317. doi: 10.3238/arztebl.2019.0311. PMID: 31219028; PMCID: PMC6620762.
Müllhaupt B. Diarrhoe [Diarrhea]. Praxis (Bern 1994). 2002 Oct 16;91(42):1749-56. German. doi: 10.1024/0369-83188.8.131.529. PMID: 12426943.
Malfertheiner P. STW 5 (Iberogast) Therapy in Gastrointestinal Functional Disorders. Dig Dis. 2017;35 Suppl 1:25-29. doi: 10.1159/000485410. Epub 2018 Feb 8. PMID: 29421817.
Allen SJ, Martinez EG, Gregorio GV, Dans LF. Probiotics for treating acute infectious diarrhoea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Nov 10;2010(11):CD003048. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003048.pub3. PMID: 21069673; PMCID: PMC6532699.
Bajor J, Beró T. Hasmenés a gasztroenterológus szemszögébol [Diarrhea, from the gastroenterologist's point of view]. Orv Hetil. 2009 Aug 30;150(35):1655-61. Hungarian. doi: 10.1556/OH.2009.28709. PMID: 19692310.
Stelzer T, Heuss LT. Chronische Diarrhoe [Chronic diarrhea]. Ther Umsch. 2014 Sep;71(9):537-43. German. doi: 10.1024/0040-5930/a000549. PMID: 25154689.