Today we are going to talk about the dog comb, an essential accessory to maintain the health, well-being and good looks of your best friend.
The comb helps to untangle knots, eliminate parasites, such as fleas and ticks, assist in the hair changing period and keep the coat shiny and healthy looking.
But it is essential that you choose a comb suitable for the size, breed and type of hair of your pet. To help you with this task, we have prepared this article with all the information you need to know about this accessory. Enjoy your reading!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Dog Comb: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Buying Criteria: Factors to Compare Dog Comb Models
- You can find different types of combs for dogs: to eliminate parasites, assist in the exchange of animal hair, specific for the eye area etc.
- Animals with short hair should be combed once or twice a week. Dogs with long, straight or curly hair should be combed daily to prevent knots from forming.
- When choosing a dog comb, take into consideration the breed and size of your pet. Also consider the model, size and ease of handling of the comb.
The Best Dog Comb: Our Picks
As you may have already noticed, there is no such thing as a dog comb. To help you choose the ideal model for your pet, we have selected the best products below.
Having a pet at home requires responsibility, availability and affection. An indispensable task is to comb his hair at least once a week and this does not need to be tiring for you, nor painful for the animal.
You just need a specific dog comb for the characteristics and needs of the animal. Want to know which model? Check out the information in this Buying Guide.
What is a puppy comb?
But it needs to be done calmly and carefully, so as not to hurt the pet's skin. Among the benefits we can highlight:
- Detangles, smoothes and shines hair.
- Reduces hair loss.
- Stimulates blood circulation.
- Keeps the dog's skin lubricated as it helps distribute animal fat.
- Facilitates the elimination of dead hair at change time.
- Removes eventual dirt from the coat.
- Eliminates parasites such as fleas and ticks.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the dog comb?
Use a dog comb with long, wide teeth before brushing an animal with medium or long fur, so you'll eliminate all the knots.
The use of the product has more advantages than cons, check it out:
Why is it important to comb a dog's hair?
One of them is that if your puppy has fleas or ticks, the medicine will not get through those knots and eliminate the parasites (although they can transit through the animal).
Also, when the hair is knotted you can't see the folds of the animal's skin, and this can be very dangerous during grooming (the process where the hair is trimmed or removed).
How often should I comb the puppy?
If your pet has medium or long hair, it is essential to comb it every day as this is the only way to avoid the dreaded knots that can form in the animal's coat. If you cannot comb it every day, do it whenever you can.
But be very careful to avoid hurting the animal's skin during the process. Tip: If you comb the dog every day, the process is easier, faster and less painful.
What type of dog comb should I use on my pet?
- Metallic comb: This is a classic model, very efficient to remove dead hair (that has already fallen out, but is trapped by the other wires).
- Untangling comb: It is ideal for untangling knots in dogs with large hair. It is also indicated for the periods of changing hair. It has a special blade that removes the hair superficially, without hurting the animal.
- Comb to remove fleas: It has very close bristles to eliminate fleas from the dog's hair.
- Comb for the eyes area: They are smaller and more delicate, developed to remove dirt that is in the corners of the eyes of the pet.
- Electric comb: It serves both to untangle knots and to eliminate parasites. The operation may be based on batteries.
|Short-toothed comb||Wide-toothed comb|
|Indication of use||Ideal for cleaning the animal||Ideal for untangling the hair|
|For what size of hair is recommended||All types of coat||Ideal for medium or long haired animals|
|Benefícios||Deixa os pelos macios e com brilho||Dois níveis de dentes: desembaraça e recolhe os pelos mortos|
Buying Criteria: Factors to Compare Dog Comb Models
If you have come this far, you could realize that choosing a dog comb is not as simple as it seems. It is important to analyse and compare some aspects before buying this accessory:
- Comb type
- Ease of handling
We will explain each of these topics throughout the section.
When choosing a dog comb, it is important to analyse the breed, size, type and size of the hair. For short-haired puppies, the ideal is to use a brush, as it removes dead hairs and possible parasites.
Medium or long haired puppies require more care. We recommend that you use a comb with separate teeth, as the accessory will untangle the knots very efficiently and finish with a brush.
A feature that changes from one dog comb to the other is the function of the accessory. You can find models suitable for untangling hair, removing dead hair, for the eye area and even to eliminate parasites.
Therefore, analyze carefully what are the characteristics and needs of your dog before buying a comb or brush. And in many cases you will need more than one model.
The size of the comb is a very important buying criterion, because you must choose this accessory according to the physical size of the animal. The models vary in small, medium and large size.
It is important that the comb is easy to handle, as this makes the process easier for you and for the pet. Give preference to models with rubbery or wooden handles.
Also analyze the material of the comb, which should be comfortable, so as not to hurt the animal's skin.
(Featured image source: 8777334 / Pixabay)