Today we will be telling you about those pieces of furniture that we usually have in the bedroom with all the essentials. You guessed it - the dresser.
If you want to give a touch of elegance to any room and at the same time have a space where you can make up quietly, keep your jewellery and why not, decorate at the same time; This furniture is used since ancient times and remain the favorite of many for its versatility.
Don't miss this complete buying guide, where we will show you everything you need to know to choose the dresser that best suits what you are looking for and the space you have available. You will also learn the most important factors to compare the different models.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Dresser: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 5 Buying Criteria: Factors that allow you to compare and rate different models of Dressers
- A dresser is a piece of furniture that essentially stores jewellery, make-up or accessories. It consists of a table with or without drawers, it should have a mirror adjustable in different degrees and have excellent direct lighting to the face. It also serves to decorate any space, providing elegance and glamour.
- Dressers usually have quite marked designs. There are compact, freestanding and mini vanity units. The model you choose will depend on the space you have available and the general decoration of the room.
- We can choose the best dressers based on their modern, vintage or rustic design; the materials can be wood, chipboard, metal and plastic. Don't forget that a dresser should ideally have a well-lit mirror and space to store your important items.
The Best Dresser: Our Picks
What is a dresser and what are its advantages?
Its secondary function is that it provides a very elegant decoration that will add glamour to any room. It has even become so popular that its uses have spread to decorate any other room, so don't be afraid to give it a try! Don't miss the following information:
Compact, Freestanding or Mini Dresser - What should you pay attention to?
- Compact Dresser: The compact dresser is perfect for those who have a lot of make-up and accessories. This model has mirrors included but on the table or in the drawers, so you can use the table for other purposes. You can also add extra mirrors to capture all angles.
- Freestanding Dresser: The freestanding dresser is perfect to combine with any style of decoration, because its parts can be found separately. You can choose the stool you want yourself, just like the mirror. These are more versatile and you can combine the styles you want.
- Mini dresser: Mini dressers are ideal for people who have little space in the room. These models always have everything included, the mirror, stool and table. They are easy to assemble and come in a variety of designs and materials.
|Compact Dresser||Freestanding Dresser||mini Dresser|
|Size||Large||Large and small||small|
|Storage type||Open and closed||Closed||Open and/or closed|
|Mirror||Fixed||Fixed and/or mobile||Mobile|
|Design||Modern, Minimalist, Vintage||Rustic, Modern||Compact, Minimalist, Innovative, Classic|
Buying Criteria: Factors that allow you to compare and rate different models of Dressers
A dresser has become one of the essential elements of the bedroom, whether you are romantic, classic or modern, there is a dresser for everyone. Because of its versatility, it can be difficult to differentiate and know the best dressers. If you don't know where to start, here are the main factors to consider, we hope you find them useful.
Dressers come in all designs, perfect to match any style of decoration. There is no doubt that the most popular models are the following:
- Vintage: Vintage models try to imitate the style of furniture from another era. These can have a romantic feel with soft colours; with larger tables and mirrors that will make you feel like royalty. Also in pastel colours and more cubic designs like in the 60's.
- Rustic: this type of design is more irregular and is also characterised by the fact that it is always made of natural materials. As for the lighting, it is usually more subdued as it tries to create a relaxed, cosy and personal atmosphere.
- Modern: modern designs are generally very practical and could be used as a dresser as they are spacious, with a variety of colours and materials. The Hollywood style ones are very popular and will make you feel like a professional.
The perfect material for the dressers will depend on your budget. Logically, a more durable material may be more expensive and a cheaper one may have a lower quality. However, there is something for every taste and budget.
- Solid wood: This is the most popular material for dressers. They are durable, can be painted, lacquered and can be shaped to almost any shape. The best quality woods are oak and chestnut, ideal for classic designs; an economical option is pine and fir for modern models.
- Chipboard: A composite made up of a collection of wood fibres such as shavings or sawdust that are shaped with pressure and heat. It can be medium density (MDF) or high density (HDF). They are of lower quality, but can be lacquered to prolong its durability and avoid scratches; it behaves like wood achieving various design options.
- Metal: Aluminium, steel or iron are metals widely used in the manufacture of dressers, especially rustic or modern models. It is more common for them to be combined with wood instead of being all metal, as this achieves a decorative effect in accordance with different styles.
- Plastic: It is a very malleable and durable material that can be adapted to any type of decoration. It has the advantage of being resistant, which is why it is generally used in dressers for girls.
We can distinguish between open and closed storage depending on the type of furniture we are comparing. Likewise, storage compartments can be grouped into small and deep; depending on the space available in the vanity.
This is when the vanity unit has no compartments and you must position the objects on the table so that they are always visible. Extra elements such as shelves or containers can be added to add storage capacity.
Storage space is usually hidden either in the table, behind the mirror, under the stool or in drawers. It is ideal for maintaining a spacious look in the room by keeping products out of sight.
Refers to containers that hold only a few items, such as dressers with a single drawer or compartments specifically for earrings or bracelets.
Refers to spaces that are larger and can hold a larger number of items. It usually goes hand in hand with the closed compartment, as it can be used to store a larger number of objects of different sizes.
Not all vanity models include a mirror. However, we consider it to be an essential element for a good specimen. Whether it is included or you want to incorporate it yourself, here we show you the types of mirrors that will make your dresser your dream piece of furniture.
- Illuminated mirror: It will help you see yourself more clearly and clearly thanks to the natural light that it projects on your face. This type of mirror is used professionally and are the typical ones we see in Hollywood designs with bulbs or LED lights.
- Magnifying mirror: This type of mirror is essential to be able to identify details and do a precise make-up job. The magnification can vary from 3 to 10 times the size of the original reflection. It is generally used as an accessory or with a double-sided mirror, as it can be a nuisance when used as the main mirror.
- Fixed mirrors: Ideally the mirror should be able to reflect various angles of the face and body. If the mirror is fixed, we recommend that it has a double or triple group to easily capture all the details.
- Movable mirrors: When vanity units have a single mirror, it is essential that the mirror adjusts to different angles. Not only to adapt to the size of the person, but also to reflect you in various positions.
(Featured image photo: Petro Kuprynenko/ 123rf.com)