For a perfect hole when drilling, you need the right drill bit. A drill bit is at the end of the cylinder of the drill. It consists of cutting elements at the tip, the exact type of drill bit is determined by the material. When drilling, the drill bit is driven into the material by rotation of the drill, thus creating holes and drill cores.
With our big drill bit test 2022 we wanted to help you find the best drill bit. In this test you will find an explanation of the types and care of the product. You will also get information on how you can quickly get this drill bit yourself.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Drill Bit: Our Picks
- 4 Drill bits: Buying and evaluation criteria
- 5 Drill bits: Frequently asked questions and answers
- 6 Conclusion
- Basically, a distinction is made between wet core bits and dry core bits, whereby both variants are available in different sizes, designs and price classes.
- A distinction can also be made between steel core bits, HSS carbide core bits and diamond core bits. It is important that the drill bit is suitable for the material to be worked on. Then anyone with a steady hand can achieve the same result as a professional.
- In this article we will deal with the different shapes of drill bits, because this is what will be most sought after in the private sector.
The Best Drill Bit: Our Picks
Drill bits: Buying and evaluation criteria
To make your choice of the right drill bit easier, we have divided it into the following purchase and evaluation criteria:
With these criteria, you can now select your perfect product. It is important that you do not lose sight of the material to be drilled.
Under material quality we distinguish the different steel alloys and hardenings that are used to produce a long-lasting and wear-resistant core bit.
The processing of the spirals or the cylinder is also a measuring point here. Finally, we check whether the product is flawless, i.e. delivered without any defects.
The grinding of the drill bit is the decisive factor for the pre-drive of the drill. Here, the quality of workmanship is evaluated at delivery by no hickness in the blade, the behaviour of the drill bit after 100 drillings.
Not only the favourable price is decisive for a good rating, but also the workmanship in use and the longevity are important. This package is more decisive here than just the price. We want added value and not cheap products.
Drill bits: Frequently asked questions and answers
To help you find your most suitable core bit, here are answers to the most frequently asked questions.
What is a core bit?
- The tip is made of carbide and is shaped like a cone.
- Universal drill bits have two sharp cutting edges.
- They are made of tool steel or HSS.
Please only use a universal drill bit if you want to drill through constructions that consist of several materials. Otherwise, specialised drill bits are the better and more effective choice.
What types of core bits are there?
In the following table you can see which core bit is suitable for which material.
|Drill material||Steel drill bit||Carbide drill bit HSS||Diamond drill bit|
|Granite or stone||X|
|Rigibs or Gibs||X|
|Steel and carbide||X|
|Soft metals such as aluminium||X|
All three types are specifically constructed.
- Steel drill bit: This drill bit is made of steel or stainless steel. The advantage of stainless steel is that the drill bit cannot rust. And it can be used on wood and plastic.
- Carbide drill bit HSS: This drill bit is made of an alloy of different materials. By using the refinements (ceramic, cobalt, etc...) this drill bit becomes much harder and can penetrate through iron and other metals. In metal applications, it is mostly used with a universal drilling oil as a wet core bit. Advantage: low wear of the core bit.
- Diamond core bit: This core bit has a coating of diamonds on the crown. These allow a hole to be drilled in stone and concrete with a suitable machine (percussion drill). It is recommended to use a wet drill bit for this application. Tiles, glass and mirrors are other materials that are best suited for diamond core bits.
Your intended use is decisive for the choice of drill bit type.
What are the alternatives to a core bit?
Lasers are used in industrial processing or in dentistry. However, the purchase costs of lasers are very high and they are not yet suitable for private use.
How do I care for a drill bit?
If the core bit needs to be reground, it is advisable to consult a specialist.
We have now explained to you what a core bit is, what types of core bits there are, and what types and shapes you can use. It is very important that you never lose focus of the material you are drilling. From twist drills to glass drills, we have now presented the best tools for your toolbox. We have also shown you the advantages of the products.
We hope that our drill bit test will give you a precise overview and expert advice on the most popular drill bits. According to the motto: Simply better drilling.
Image source: Inlooka / 123rf