Electric jacks have become increasingly popular in recent years. Because of their ease of use, these jacks can be used by anyone. They are versatile and can be used at home as well as on the road. Since the jack's electric motor ensures that the car is lifted, no muscle power is required. In our big electric car jack test 2021 we will help you find a suitable electric car jack for you and your car. We have picked out the most important points of an electric jack for you. In addition, we have also compared different types of jacks and listed the advantages and disadvantages. This will help you decide which electric jack is right for you.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Electric Jack: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for electric jacks
- 5 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying an electric jack
- Electric jacks are operated by an electric motor. The jacks are switched on at the push of a button and lift the car with their own power.
- You simply connect this type of jack directly to the car's 12-volt battery or to the cigarette lighter. If necessary, an additional adapter can also connect the electric jack to a 230-volt socket.
- Electric jacks are relatively small and light and can therefore almost always be taken along in the car. This means you always have a suitable breakdown aid at hand. However, electric jacks are more expensive than the usual ones.
The Best Electric Jack: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for electric jacks
Since all cars are different, you have to make a very individual decision when buying an electric jack. In the following, we have listed the most important aspects of electric jacks so that you can optimally compare the different models with each other. This will help you find the right jack for you and your car. In summary, the criteria are:
In the following sections we will explain what is special about each point.
Maximum load capacity
Probably the most important point of an electric jack is the maximum load. The maximum load of the jack indicates how heavy the car to be lifted may be in order to lift it with the jack.
It is especially important to pay attention to this, as your own safety is at stake. Electric jacks normally have a load capacity of 2 tonnes. However, other models have a load capacity of up to 5 tonnes or more. First of all, you should know the weight of your car and then choose an electric jack that has a higher permissible load. Especially if you drive a caravan or an SUV, you have to pay attention to the load capacity, as these vehicles weigh much more.
Maximum and minimum lifting height
With electric jacks, the lifting height is often important. The minimum lifting height indicates the starting point of the jack, while the maximum lifting height indicates the highest possible point of the jack. Compared to normal jacks, however, the minimum lifting height is higher for the electric versions. This means that especially with lowered cars, or cars with low ground clearance, attention must be paid to the minimum lifting height. Electric jacks usually have a lifting height of 120 to 350 mm. This means they are on average 20 mm higher than normal jacks, which can make a huge difference. Some cars are simply so low that you cannot use an electric jack.
If you are still unsure, measure the distance between the floor and the jacking point yourself. You will find the jacking point in your car's manual.
Pay attention to the maximum lifting height if you have a very high car. You must make sure that the lifting height is high enough to lift one tyre of your car off the ground.
Many electric jacks are relatively small and light. This makes them great for in-between breakdowns. Nevertheless, there are differences in the weight of electric jacks. Therefore, you should be aware of what you need this jack for. Usually, electric jacks weigh between 3 and 5 kilograms. These products are ideal to put in the boot and use when travelling. Such electric jacks usually have a lower load capacity than the heavier models. However, other electric jacks weigh up to 10 kilograms and are therefore more difficult to use or take with you. With these models, you should consider what you want to use them for or when you want to use them. In principle, you need to think about the reason for your purchase beforehand. If you need the jack more as a stationary tool for your home, buy a heavier one. If you need it for occasional use, you should use the lighter jack.
Electric jacks, as the name suggests, are powered by an electric motor. Unlike the conventional jack, this motor generates a certain amount of noise.
As soon as an electric jack is switched on, the motor also switches on. This creates noise that is simply too loud for some people. The more power the electric jack has, the louder it is. Read testimonials before buying your jack and then decide how important the loudness of the product is to you.
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying an electric jack
What is special about an electric jack and what advantages does it offer?
Another advantage of the electric jack is its size and compactness. Many electric jack manufacturers supply essential accessories in a compact container in addition to the jack. This makes it very easy to take along in the car. Furthermore, due to its compactness, it is also perfect as a breakdown aid on the road. For example, in case of a flat tyre during a journey. With an electric jack, you can quickly and easily change the defective tyre and continue driving.
What types of electric jacks are there?
Electric hydraulic jack
The electric hydraulic jack is basically the somewhat larger and heavier variant. Therefore, this jack has a high load capacity. Most electric hydraulic jacks have a load capacity of 5 kilograms and are ideal for motorhomes and SUVs.
In addition, the housing of such jacks offers storage space for additional gadgets, such as spanners or connecting cables. This makes maintenance work even easier. However, because this electric jack is larger, it also has a relatively high minimum lifting height. Commercially available electric hydraulic jacks are at least 150 mm high. This is why they are not suitable for lowered cars. In addition, these jacks are relatively expensive. They are heavier, larger and are usually sold with additional accessories. This increases the price of these products.
Electric scissor jack
The electric scissor jack scores with its very good transportability. It is relatively small and light and can be packed very well. This means that it is easy to take along in the car.
Its small size also makes it more suitable for low-slung cars. On average, these jacks have a minimum lifting height of 120 mm, which is why they fit under many cars. However, the smaller model means that electric scissor jacks have a low load capacity. Most of these jacks carry between 1.5 and 2 tonnes. This makes them less suitable for larger vehicles such as caravans and SUVs.
Who are electric jacks suitable for?
However, it is particularly suitable for physically impaired people. It is easy to handle and does not require any physical effort or muscle strength compared to conventional jacks. So any person can use this jack. Such a jack is also suitable for globetrotters, due to its transportability. For anyone who travels a lot by car, an electric jack is a relief. Minor repairs and tyre changes can be carried out quickly.
How to use an electric jack?
- Preparation: Before you can use the jack, you must park your car on a stable and even surface. To do this, put the car in gear and tighten the handbrake so that the car cannot roll away. In addition, you can place wedges in front of the wheels of the car to further prevent it from rolling away. Furthermore, the engine of your car should be switched on. If you want to change a tyre, you must now loosen the wheel nuts of the tyre.
- Power thejack: Next, the electric jack must be connected to the car's cigarette lighter to be powered. The engine should be switched on so as not to use up the energy in the car's battery or so that energy is available at all.
- Positioning the jack: In this step you take your electric jack and place it in the marked position under the car. The location you are looking for is marked in your car's manual, as well as by symbols on the underside of the car.
- Raise the car: Now the jack is simply switched on. Depending on the electric jack, you must either hold the button down to the appropriate height, or press another button to stop the jack.
- Carry out repair / tyre change: If the tyre is now high enough, you should first place jack stands to stabilise the car. Then you can perform the task on your car.
- Lower the car: After you have done your work, remove the jack stands. After that you have to press a button on the electric jack and bring the car back to the starting position.
How is the electric jack powered?
If you want to connect your electric jack to a socket, you will need to buy a voltage converter.
What are the alternatives to an electric jack?
|Balloon jack||The balloon jack is an inflatable jack that is pumped up with the exhaust gases of the car. It is extremely thin in its original form and can therefore be used well for lowered cars.|
|Jack||With this jack, a liquid is pressed into the opposite piston by pumping a long rod. This causes the piston to rise and lift the car.|
|Pneumatic jack||This jack is operated by a compressor. The compressed air from the compressor makes the jack lift the car. This jack has a very high load capacity|
These alternatives are all different from the electric jack. The manoeuvring jack is suitable for all, but it requires some physical effort. The balloon jack is relatively unstable and unsafe and the pneumatic jack is very expensive and suitable for heavy cars. So the all-rounder of jacks is still the electric one, due to its ease of use. Therefore, if you want to avoid physical exertion, we recommend an electric jack.