Electric shavers are suitable for shaves that need to be particularly efficient, fast and close. relevant background information. There are different blade designs and skin-friendly protective mechanisms for wet and dry shaving.
On the one hand there are foil shavers with straight blades, on the other hand there are rotary shavers with rotating blade elements. We have summarised comparisons between different electric razors, as well as advantages and disadvantages for you.
In addition to a few interesting test videos, we have also created a guide in our electric shaver test 2021. This answers all the important and relevant questions about electric shavers. In the end, you will know exactly which factors you should pay attention to. Have fun!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Electric Shaver: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for electric shavers
- 5 Decision: What types of electric shavers are there and which one is right for you?
- 6 Guide: Frequently asked questions about electric shavers answered in detail
- 6.1 What are the advantages of an electric shaver?
- 6.2 How much does an electric shaver cost?
- 6.3 What are the alternatives to electric razors?
- 6.4 Which attachment do I need for my electric shaver?
- 6.5 How do I clean an electric razor?
- 6.6 How do I oil an electric shaver?
- 6.7 How do I dispose of an electric shaver?
- Electric shavers are usually considered dry shavers, which shave particularly efficiently due to an electronically operated blade. However, there are also electric shavers with a wet shaving function. These are more expensive.
- A distinction is made between foil razors and rotary razors. The former have a rectangular, straight blade, while rotary shavers have three round, rotating shaving heads.
- Basically, as a user, you need to know exactly what you need the razor for. Foil razors, for example, are advantageous for full shaves and straight surfaces, while rotary razors are ideal for shaving the face.
The Best Electric Shaver: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for electric shavers
Since there are so many different electric shavers out there, we'll help you decide which factors are best for you in the following section.
The following criteria will help you compare the products:
The following blocks will explain what each factor is about.
What is a precision trimmer?
Precision trimmers are often sold in addition to electric shavers. With these you can adjust the length. Precision trimmers are therefore particularly popular for facial hair. As the name suggests, they are used to work on small, detailed transitions and fine details.
The smaller size of the blade makes it easier to reach all areas; moreover, precision trimmers are designed to shave particularly gently and carefully to protect the sensitive skin on the face.
In addition to clip-on precision trimmers, there are also sliding trimmers and flip-up trimmers.
What is important for my precision trimmer?
The deciding factor of precision trimmers is first and foremost whether there is a need. For a normal removal of all hair, for example, one is not necessary.
Then it is important to consider whether it is to be used for special areas of the face or body. Many manufacturers offer precision trimmers specifically for beards or eyebrows. And last but not least, the right length should be considered.
Wet & dry shaving
Besides the obvious factor of water, and whether or not it is used for shaving, there are others. Many people tend to associate wet shaving with a simple razor, without electronic support. Dry shaving, on the other hand, is often associated with electric razors. Of course, these options also work vice versa: dry shaves with simple blades and also wet shaves with electric razors.
It is important to note that not every electric razor is also suitable for wet shaving. Which shave suits the user better depends on many individual factors.
Habit, sensitivity of the skin, nature of the hair growth, personal preference and comfort are some of them. Many people use their razor more when showering and should therefore first find out whether the razor will be damaged if it comes into contact with water.
What are the different types of shaving heads?
The two most important categories of blades used in electric shavers are foil shavers and rotary shavers. The decisive factor here is the nature of the blade.
The foil razor still resembles a conventional razor, with a rectangular blade and visible razor edges. The rotary razor, on the other hand, usually has three round shaving elements attached in a triangular shape.
How do foil and rotary razors work?
- The foil razor contains a shearing foil that contains gaps into which the blade blocks with the razor blades are inserted. This blade does not move on its own and remains constantly in one position. The shear foil is there to protect the skin being shaved and provides resistance between the skin and the blade. Without the shear foil, it would be all too easy to cut yourself with the blade block. Properly combined, however, you can use the foil razor without worry.
- Shavers with a rotating shaving head, on the other hand, are designed differently. As already mentioned, instead of visible razor blades, there are three round shaving heads. Inside these heads are shaving blade rings that are not completely visible from the outside. During shaving, the electric motor ensures that all three shaving heads can rotate independently of each other. To make the skin beautiful, the three round shaving heads are designed to cushion and yield when it touches different parts of the skin with different contours.
Of course, it is important for the user to know how long the electric shaver can be used before it needs to be charged again. On average, the battery life of the shaver is about 50 minutes.
How long does my electric shaver take to charge? Generally, shavers include an indicator that tells you when your shaver is charged (for example, a green light). An empty electric shaver can take different amounts of time to fully recharge, depending on how recent it is and the quality of the manufacturer. On average, however, the charging time is between 30 minutes to 90 minutes.
The average battery life is 50 minutes. The charging time is between 30 and 90 minutes.
Is there a charge indicator? How do you know how long you can use your shaver before it needs to be recharged? A charge indicator is very useful for this.
It is useful for charging the battery to see how far it has been charged. But it also helps when shaving to avoid your razor going out unpredictably in the middle of shaving.
Cleaning & care
Proper care of your electric shaver is essential for a long life. The shaving head should be cleaned and replaced regularly for a long life.
Many manufacturers sell your electric shaver as a set with a cleaning station for this purpose. Most cleanings require ethanol, which is usually in a cartridge provided for this purpose and must be filled up.
Cleaning stations are practical because they not only clean the razor but also charge, maintain, disinfect and dry it. Of course, you can also clean your shaver by hand under water after every shave. Long periods without use or increased temperatures require intensive cleaning.
The head attachment of the shaver should be replaced every one to two months. The blade block should also be replaced within 18 - 24 months.
Decision: What types of electric shavers are there and which one is right for you?
To decide which electric shaver is right for you, two different types need to be compared.
|Foil shaver||The shaving head consists of a straight blade with clear edges. Foil razors are good for larger areas and smooth shaves and are considered particularly gentle on the skin.|
|Rotary shaver||The shaving head consists of three rotating shaving blades and is very flexible. Particularly suitable for partial shaves.|
For more information on the respective products, you can read the following paragraphs. In them we go into detail about the two categories.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about electric shavers answered in detail
What are the advantages of an electric shaver?
It is worth investing in an electric razor for the long term instead of constantly buying new disposable razors.
A big advantage of electronic shaving is the convenience of having the one shaver in its charging station ready to hand in a fixed place. You buy it once and have it forever, whereas disposable razors, in comparison, you have to constantly repurchase, unpack and throw away. This brings us to the next point:
Sustainability. Fewer materials are wasted and production is reduced in order to successfully use a product in the long run; thus you save the environment. The use of an electric razor is also financially more profitable than alternatives in the long run.
The safety mechanisms of the electric razor provide greater safety. The risk of cutting and injuring yourself is therefore lower and the use is safer.
Scientific studies have also proven that electronic shaves produce fewer shaving fires than alternative shaves. Basically, they are considered the gentler shaving option.
In principle, electric razors are much more efficient than conventional razors without electric operation. They are designed to remove all hairs, regardless of length or shortness, with a single touch. This high efficiency automatically reduces the time you need to shave. Thus, you are not only better shaved, but also faster.
Finally, another advantage is the guarantee that a manufacturer offers. The higher price also means that more service is offered, which provides a much higher level of safety during use.
How much does an electric shaver cost?
Many electric shavers are sold with accessories such as precision trimmers, various attachments of different lengths, cleaning stations, replacement blades, blade sharpeners and more. More accessories also increase the reasonable price. The operating time, charging time, charging indicator and features such as quick charging also change the value.
Especially electronic shavers with the function of wet shaving are usually more expensive than shavers that are exclusively for dry shaving. More reputable brands like Braun also offer more expensive shavers.
|Foil shavers||20€ - 80€|
|Rotary shavers||30€ - 120€|
Electric razors made specifically for the genital area are surprisingly cheaper (from 20€). Multifunctional trimmers, or beard shavers, on the other hand, which are supposed to be usable for the whole face and body, are in the middle price range and rotate around 100€.
What are the alternatives to electric razors?
- System shaver: This shaver is small, handy and equipped with a multi-blade system. A gel layer is used here to protect the skin. It contains three to five blades, which are positioned flatter than in razors. Well suited for quick and practical shaves that are gentle on the skin and are performed dry.
- Straight razor: A large blade in the shape of a knife is used here. Intensive pre- and post-processing are particularly important here, especially for barber shops. The straight razor is considered traditional handwork and differs in the size of the blade and also the texture of the handle.
- Straight razor: The straight razor is comparable to a system razor, with the difference that there are only two blades. There is also no protective material, but the blade has direct skin contact and can therefore shave particularly cleanly. The angle of the blades is built in so that the blade separates the hair perfectly from the skin.
- Shavettes: Similar to a razor, shavettes differ in that the blades can be replaced. This means that the blade does not have to be constantly cleaned and sharpened. Here, too, the condition of the handle is considered an important factor.
Which attachment do I need for my electric shaver?
However, if you want certain lengths in between for a transition from very short to longer hair, you need various attachments. Example sizes are 3, 6, 9 and 12mm. If you don't know which size your shave needs, it is advisable to ask your hairdresser to determine the length.
How do I clean an electric razor?
It is important to clean and oil electric razors regularly. You should be aware of this when buying.
Many models can also be maintained with a cleaning station, which often includes additional functions such as charging and disinfecting.
How do I oil an electric shaver?
The same period applies to rotary shavers; with these, the oil is applied directly to the separated shaving head. In both cases, a few drops help and it is recommended to disinfect regularly in addition to oiling.
How do I dispose of an electric shaver?
Image source: dolgachov/ 123rf.com