Eye pads are patches made of hydrogel, paper or fleece that you can apply under your eyes. You can use the eye pads to care for dark circles, bags under the eyes and wrinkles. The active ingredient hyaluron cools and moisturises the skin. On the other hand, there are also eye pads that are specially designed for make-up and for applying eye shadow and eyelash extensions. These eye pads help to avoid annoying make-up blunders.
With our eye pads test 2021 we want to help you make a good choice. We have compared the best eye pads for dark circles. In addition, we have included two products for eye makeup in our list. We have weighed up all the pros and cons for you to make your buying decision easier.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Eye Pads: Our Picks
- 4 Eye pads: buying and evaluation criteria
- 5 Eye pads: Frequently asked questions
- 5.1 What are eye pads as a skincare product?
- 5.2 What are eye pads used for make-up?
- 5.3 How do nourishing eye pads work?
- 5.4 What types of eye pads are there?
- 5.5 What do eye pads cost?
- 5.6 What are the alternatives to eye pads?
- 5.7 Can eye pads cause allergies or other unwanted side effects?
- 5.8 How do I use eye pads correctly?
- 5.9 How do I use eye pads for make-up correctly?
- 6 Conclusion
- With the right eye pads, you can refresh tired eyes and prevent dark circles, bags and wrinkles. Certain ingredients, such as hyaluron, collagen or gold, cool the eye pads and moisturise the skin.
- Eye pads are also available as make-up tools. They allow for a clean application of eye shadow and mascara. You can also use the eye pads to attach and colour eyelash extensions. These patches have a different fit and size than maintenance-only eye pads.
- Do you want to maintain a fresh appearance in the long run? Then you should ensure a healthy lifestyle in addition to a rich skincare routine. For additional care, you can use products with different active ingredients, as well as simple home remedies.
The Best Eye Pads: Our Picks
Eye pads: buying and evaluation criteria
To help you decide which eye pads are best for you, we have compared the products with each other using these evaluation criteria:
So that you can get an accurate picture of the products, we have briefly explained all the criteria in the following paragraph.
Material / Fit
The material and fit of the eye pads determine their usefulness.
Hydropads made of medical silicone are very popular for caring for the eye area. The gel has a cooling effect on the skin and helps reduce both bags and puffiness.
Hydrogel eye pads are extremely easy to apply and remove.
The fit of the nourishing eye pads varies from bean-shaped to droplet-shaped. Bean-shaped eye pads have two rounded ends. Droplet-shaped pads taper to a point at the end, which is applied to the inside of the eyes.
For make-up and the application of eyelash extensions, you should use thin and flexible eye pads made of fleece or cotton.
If the patches are too thick, you will not be able to apply them under the lashes.
It is especially important that the pads fit your eye shape well. We recommend a fit of 50 x 84 cm. If the pads are too big, you can trim them with small nail scissors. To make them fit better, you can adjust them with clear adhesive strips.
Depending on the price of the eye pads, they are enriched with various substances. Hyaluron, collagen and gold are the most popular active ingredients in this case. In our guide, we have briefly summarised the exact effect of these substances for you.
Eye pads as a make-up tool often contain hyaluronic acid and other moisturising ingredients. On the other hand, make-up specialists emphasise that in this case the hyaluron is not necessarily beneficial.
We advise you to choose pads that are as skin-friendly, soft and odourless as possible. Otherwise, irritation may occur.
The masks are often enriched with natural moisturisers such as aloe vera or algae extract. In addition, vitamins (mostly E & A) help to strengthen the skin. Other antibacterial and antiseptic ingredients contribute to a clear complexion.
There are different skin types that require different care. Most of the products we recommend are suitable for all skin types. Of course, there are also products that are specially formulated for certain skin types. To make it easier for you to choose, we have put together a brief summary of the different skin types.
Normal skin: neither oily nor dry, no irritations such as acne / clogged pores / blackheads
Oilyskin: oily, shiny complexion
Dry skin: visibly dry, taut, often flakes, tends to wrinkle
Problematic skin: acne, blackheads, enlarged pores - often skin tone is not uniform
Sensitive skin: redness, irritation and pimples are not uncommon, it often burns or itches.
Mixed skin: the T-zone (forehead, nose, chin) is oily, the rest tends to be dry
Application time / application area
Most eye pads should be worn between 10 and 30 minutes because of the hyaluronic acid. This way you can get a fresh look in a short time. In this case, always follow the instructions for use on the packaging or the insert.
If you prefer a hyaluronic care spray, you do not have to observe a specific application time. One pump is enough to refresh the face with lasting effect. You can also use the spray on other parts of the body (décolleté & neck).
Regularity is important in both cases. Both eye pads and hyaluron concentrate provide a short-term freshness boost. If they are used regularly over a longer period of time, they have positive long-term effects on your skin.
Effect / Features
To make it easier for you to make a purchase decision, we have divided the exact effect of the products into: moisturising, cooling, against dark circles, against bags under the eyes, against puffiness, against wrinkles.
If you have sensitive skin, make sure the product is gentle. Ingredients such as fragrances or artificial colours can cause redness and skin irritation. The following ingredients dehydrate the skin and should NOT be included in the product:
- Mineral oils
The higher up the ingredient is on the packaging, the more of it is in the product. Some high-quality products have the label: dermatologically tested.
Do you want your cosmetics to be sustainable? Then make sure that the product is reusable. That way, less waste is produced. Other sustainability features are an animal-free production and the restriction to vegan ingredients.
Eye pads: Frequently asked questions
Here we have answered the most frequently asked questions about eye pads. After reading our guide, you will be able to get a complete picture of the product. The guide is designed to help you understand your skin's needs and find the right skin care routine.
What are eye pads as a skincare product?
The most common causes of dark circles, bags under the eyes and wrinkles are:
- Stress: Due to constant stress, our cells lose water. This causes the veins to shine through the skin more and more. This is how dark circles under the eyes develop. In addition, the skin around the eyes becomes thinner and wrinkles form.
- Lack of sleep and sleep deprivation: 7-8 hours of beauty sleep per night is no fairy tale. If you don't get enough sleep for a long time, it affects the blood flow in your body. The oxygen content in the blood becomes less, which means the blood becomes darker. This causes dark circles under the eyes.
- Alcohol and nicotine: Who hasn't had that one glass that didn't last? Excessive consumption of alcohol worsens blood circulation. Unfortunately, this leads to the fact that you will notice the night after.
- Wrong diet: Nutrient-poor foods cause deficiencies (iron, vitamin and mineral deficiencies), which can also result in shadows under your eyes.
- Age: As we age, our skin loses tension. This is because we lose subcutaneous fat. As a result, the skin becomes flabbier and the blood vessels show through. In addition, wrinkles appear around the eyes.
What are eye pads used for make-up?
How do nourishing eye pads work?
Good eye pads contain special ingredients that moisturise the skin and provide nutrients and vitamins to support the collagen framework.
- Hyaluronic acid is already present in our body. It binds large amounts of water, helping the skin to stay firm and elastic. Eye pads that contain hyaluronic acid moisturise the skin and refresh the top layers of skin for a short time.
- Retinol - a form of vitamin A. Care with retinol additionally stimulates the body's own production of vitamin A.
- Vitamin E has the gift of penetrating our uppermost skin layer - the cornea. It is stored there and thus helps the skin to repair damaged cells and make them soft and elastic again.
- Gold - actually. Gold, or more precisely colloidal gold or gold water, can bind water. In addition, it has an antibacterial effect on the skin. It prevents impurities and clogged pores. The active ingredient is also known for its pleasant cooling effect.
- Glycerine is also a moisture retainer contained in the body. It attracts water like a magnet.
- Allantoin has an antibacterial effect. It regulates sebum production - a miracle cure for blackheads and other impurities.
- Silk proteins help the skin regulate moisture. They bind water and make the skin smooth and supple.
- Herbal active ingredients such as:
- Aloe vera moisturises, promotes wound healing, has an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect and also boosts the body's own production of collagen.
- Rose oil is well suited for skin care. Due to its high content of unsaturated fatty acids, it helps to refine the skin's appearance and to care for particularly dry and sensitive skin.
- Algae extract is rich in valuable vitamins and thus protects the skin from drying out. It is therefore a common ingredient in many anti-aging products.
- Seaweed extract is rich in sea salt and known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects.
What types of eye pads are there?
|Hydrogel eye pads for make-up||cooling - against dark circles and bags under the eyes - anti-ageing effect||not a make-up tool - long-term effect only with regular use|
|Eye pads for make-up made of paper or fleece||thin and flexible - suitable as a make-up tool - skin-friendly||not a make-up tool - can fluff|
|Hydrogel eye pads for eyelash extensions||cooling - suitable as make-up tool - do not fluff||must not be worn for too long|
|Hyaluron Concentrate Spray||anti-aging effect - also for neck and décolleté - for all skin types - short application time||expensive to buy for the first time - not a make-up tool|
|DIY eye pads / home remedy||cooling - against dark circles and bags under the eyes - inexpensive||can cause skin irritations|
What do eye pads cost?
|Hydrogel eye pads for skin care||0,10 - 30 € per pair (luxury item approx. 80 - 200 € per pair)|
|Eye pads for make-up made of paper or fleece||0,02 - 1 € per pair|
|Hydrogel eye pads for eyelash extensions||0,05 - 3 € per pair|
|Hyaluron concentrate spray||30 - 50 € per 100 ml (luxury item approx. 70 € per 100 ml)|
What are the alternatives to eye pads?
|Hyaluronic Spray||Can be used to refresh and nourish the skin. Helps against wrinkles. Depending on the manufacturer, the spray is enriched with herbal ingredients and vitamins.|
|Tea bags containing caffeine (green tea, black tea)||Let the tea bags cool briefly in the refrigerator and moisten them with cold water. This helps to relieve puffiness under the eyes. Caffeine stimulates blood circulation and provides a freshness boost. Be careful - not every skin type tolerates these compresses (as soon as it itches - get rid of it!)|
|Cotton pads with rose water||soak the cotton pads in rose water and store them briefly in the refrigerator before placing them under the eyes. You can add aloe vera juice or lavender oil. Tip - To make the cotton pads fit well under the eyes, you can cut them into the shape of an eye pad (half moon)|
|Chilled cucumber slices||Zack - cut in half and place under the eyes. Cucumbers are 97% water|
|coconut oil||coconut oil also has a moisturising effect on our skin and is also very compatible and good for sensitive skin. Apply a thin layer of coconut oil under the eyes before going to bed - this is the best way for it to be absorbed and work intensively|
|Cold teaspoons or coffee spoons||Refrigerate the spoons briefly and then place them under the eyes for a cooling effect.|
|Drink enough||water and tea are key. Fluids help cushion the skin from the inside.|
|Collagen Booster||Vitamin A: carrots, pumpkins, spinach, chickpeas, etc. Vitamin C: especially in lemons, oranges and grapefruits, but also in many local herbs, fruits and vegetables|
|Iron-rich foods||nuts, legumes, soya, meat, egg and oysters|
|Eye Lifter capsules||vitamin C + A, plant ingredients (eyebright herb, ginkgo extract, blueberry extract)|
|Balanced sleep rhythm||humans are creatures of habit. So regularity and small rituals are best for a healthy sleep rhythm. Tips: 1 - no mobile phones or other electronic devices before bed, 2 - gentle stretching exercises or yoga, 3 - a cup of tea, 4 - lavender oil, 5 - fresh air|
Can eye pads cause allergies or other unwanted side effects?
- Acne, pimples, skin redness
- Skin inflammations, itching of the skin, itching of the skin
- atopic eczema, skin rash
- Skin irritations, skin redness
This means that if the skin starts to itch or redness appears, you should remove the pads immediately and if in doubt (if the skin does not calm down, gets worse) consult a doctor. The doctor can do an allergy test to find out which ingredients you are allergic to.
How do I use eye pads correctly?
- Preparation: Put the eye pads in the refrigerator for a short time before use. Meanwhile, thoroughly cleanse the eye area with warm water to remove make-up residue and dust.
- Application: Take the eye pads out of the package one by one and carefully peel off the protective film. Place the eye pads on the skin with the rough side facing down. The narrower side of the pads should be on the inside of the eyes. Only now press the pads gently and evenly under the eyes.
- Leave on: The pads should be left on for 15 to 30 minutes at the most. Pay close attention to the time indicated on the packaging or in the package insert.
- Afterwards: Slowly remove the pads and gently tap in the residue with your fingers - this also helps to combat dark circles and bags under the eyes.
How do I use eye pads for make-up correctly?
There are countless ways to treat dark circles and bags under the eyes and to delay the ageing process of the skin. The basis is a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet, a harmonious sleep rhythm and sufficient fluids. If the body is in balance, this also has an effect on our largest organ, the skin.
However, we also have the possibility to support the skin from the outside. Various active ingredients such as hyaluron, collagen, proteins or allantoin are already present in our body, but can be added with various care products. It is important that you feel comfortable in your body and take your time to find the right combination for your skin. True beauty is the balance between inside and outside.
Photo source: Guasor/ 123rf.com