Different flip flops for women are a dime a dozen, literally. Flip flops belong to the group of thong sandals. This type of sandal has been around for more than 3000 years and originated in Egypt. In western countries, flip flops were initially used to protect the soles of the feet.
In the meantime, however, there is a gigantic selection of flip flops for women with a wide variety of patterns, materials and designs. The concept of flip flops is not only so iconic that they are even named after their typical sound, but they are also used in many areas of everyday life nowadays.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Flip Flops For Women: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying flip flops for women
- 4 Flip flops for women: The most important questions answered
- 4.1 What styles of flip flops are available for women?
- 4.2 How do I find the right size for my flip flops?
- 4.3 How do I clean my flip flops properly?
- 4.4 When can I wear my flip flops?
- 4.5 Are women's flip flops unhealthy for my feet?
- 4.6 Styling tips for flip flops for women: How to create the perfect look
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Flip Flops For Women: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying flip flops for women
With such a large selection of different women's flip flops, it is easy to lose track. To make your decision easier, there are a few criteria you should consider before buying. These are the following buying criteria:
- Water resistance
To give you a better idea of how these criteria can affect your purchase of flip flops for women, we will explain them in more detail below.
The classic women's flip flops are made of rubber. You should be careful here, however, because softeners are added to make the normally hard and brittle plastics soft and flexible. These can be dissolved by sweat and absorbed by the body through the skin. This can damage the liver, kidneys, hormone and immune systems.
They may also contain certain carcinogenic pollutants. In addition, some flip-flops for women made of rubber are not breathable and therefore increase the risk of athlete's foot. If you still want to use rubber flip flops for women, you should definitely choose a high-quality model. Alternatively, you can also choose flip flops with a different upper material. Women's flip flops made of leather, cork or fabric are particularly popular.
The sole is usually made of rubber to ensure a good grip. Among other things, there are now also some more unusual variants. For example, there are also some women's flip flops made of materials such as fur or glitter.
As already mentioned, flip flops for women should be bought in good quality to avoid the transfer of harmful substances into the body. But this is not the only reason why you should look for good quality. It is also particularly important to buy flip flops for ladies with a high-quality sole. Besides the fact that a cheap sole can cause an annoying squeak with every step, there is also an increased risk of falling, as cheaper soles often have poorer grip.
Another factor why you should go for high-quality women's flip flops is how they feel to wear. Especially with cheap materials and poor workmanship, this can cause an uncomfortable wearing sensation and, for example, create discomfort such as itching.
Some of the most common places where women's flip flops are used are still swimming pools, beaches, showers and any other wet areas. Therefore, if you want to use your flip flops for such purposes, it is important that you pay attention to the water resistance of your women's flip flops. You should definitely make sure that the sole of your flip flops for women is made of a waterproof material such as rubber, as this part is in direct contact with water.
Depending on the upper material your flip flops for women are made of, they will have different water resistance. While women's flip flops made of pure rubber are probably not a problem, flip flops made of leather or fur could only tolerate smaller amounts of water or none at all. The best thing to do is to check with the manufacturer yourself.
You should also bear in mind that you could come into contact with salt water in places like the sea. This can cause salt crusts on your women's flip flops, which can also be harmful or more difficult to clean, depending on the material.
In the meantime, flip flops for women are already used in many different areas. Besides being used as bathing shoes, women's flip flops are also used as slippers, summer shoes or even shoes for short hikes. Especially because of this versatile use, good mobility is becoming an increasingly important issue.
If you want to use your women's flip flops in everyday life, for example, you should opt for sturdy, harder models. This way, your flip flops for women will not be damaged so easily and will have better stability when moving around.
Again, the better the quality, the better the mobility. A good sole is essential for good grip. Likewise, the material of the toe separator should be robust and not wear out quickly, as this can greatly affect stability when walking.
Flip flops for women: The most important questions answered
In addition to the purchase criteria, there are several other points that should be considered. In order to give you a rough overview of these, we will now go into the most important questions regarding flip flops for women.
What styles of flip flops are available for women?
- Basic women 's flip flops: Basic women's flip flops have a flat sole and are available in different materials. They can therefore be combined in many different ways. However, the classic flip flops for ladies are usually more casual and not meant for classier occasions.
- Women's flip flops with heel: In this style, a plain thin heel is added to the classic women's flip flops. These flip flops are therefore more suitable for classier occasions.
- Women's flip flops with platform soles: This women's flip flop trend is about toe separators with thick platform soles. This special type of women's flip flop can be worn for a variety of occasions and attracts attention with its unique design.
- Women's flip flopswith lace-up details: Women's flip flops with lace-up details combine a casual look with classy elements. These ladies' flip flops can be used particularly well as casual summer shoes. The additional laces not only provide a better look, but also improve support.
Which style you choose is up to you. It is best to choose a style that suits both the event and your personal preferences.
How do I find the right size for my flip flops?
Finally, you should add about half a centimetre. You can then search the internet for tables of values which will help you to determine the right shoe size on the basis of your value. If you want to be on the safe side, you can also go to a shoe shop for advice.
How do I clean my flip flops properly?
When can I wear my flip flops?
For example, if you want to drive a car or do strenuous activities such as a mountain hike, a poorer grip can lead to serious difficulties. In general, women's flip flops should not be a permanent replacement for other shoes, but more on that in the next point.
Are women's flip flops unhealthy for my feet?
This in turn results in painful soles and cramps in the foot and toe muscles. When walking, there is also an increased risk of slipping sideways and sustaining injuries. For this reason, women's flip flops should rather be used as a fashion accessory or in special situations.
Therefore, if you want to wear flip flops for special activities or occasions, this is not a problem, but in the long run you should not use flip flops for women as a substitute for normal shoes.
Styling tips for flip flops for women: How to create the perfect look
- Elegant: For elegant occasions, you should get classy ladies' flip flops. Flip flops with heels are particularly suitable for this, or to stand out, flip flops for women with platform soles. There are also no limits to the material, design and colour you can choose. You can vary depending on your needs. The only thing you should make sure of is that your women's flip flops match your look.
- Sporty: If you want comfortable sporty flip flops for women, you should go for a simple standard model. Many flip flops for women are water resistant and can be used for sports like beach volleyball. If you want to put your shoes on or take them off, this is also done in no time.
- Casual: If you prefer a casual look, go for women's flip flops with lace-up details or regular flip flops with more sophisticated designs and colours. These combine functional with fashionable. In addition to being comfortable, you can also wear them for dressier occasions.
The possibilities for styling with flip flops for women are very diverse and individual, as there are many different creative designs. The look you choose depends on your personal preferences.
Flip flops for women are enjoying ever greater popularity. In addition to being used as bathing shoes, they are also being used more and more in the home, as summer shoes or for walking. Nevertheless, due to the poorer grip and the hardly existing guidance, you should not consider ladies flip flops as a substitute for shoes, but as an alternative for special situations.
If you want to buy ladies flip flops, you should pay particular attention to high quality in order to avoid the transfer of harmful substances. You can choose the material and design according to your needs. However, you should keep factors such as water resistance and mobility in mind in order to choose the right women's flip flops model for the respective occasions.
Image source: Dhruv / Unsplash