They are our best friends in the kitchen. They make our work so much easier and are pretty to look at. We are talking about kitchen machines. In addition to the basic functions - stirring, mixing and beating - these little all-rounders can also perform many other additional functions. With a food processor, you combine various kitchen appliances in a single device.
With our kitchen appliance test 2021, we would like to help you choose a kitchen appliance. We have compared classic kitchen appliances and multifunctional kitchen appliances. To help you in the best possible way, you will find useful information about food processors on this page.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Food Processor: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for kitchen machines
- 5 Decision: What types of food processors are there and which is the right one for you?
- 6 Guide: Frequently asked questions about kitchen machines answered in detail
- 6.1 What is a food processor?
- 6.2 Who is a food processor suitable for?
- 6.3 What are the alternatives to a food processor?
- 6.4 How do I clean a food processor?
- 6.5 How long have kitchen machines been around?
- 6.6 What should I do if my food processor overheats?
- 6.7 Can I make ice cream with a food processor?
- Food processors support you in the kitchen. Depending on the model, they can replace over 30 different kitchen appliances. Food processors consist of a frame with a swivel arm. A mixing bowl is placed in this frame. The mixing bowl and the attachments are interchangeable.
- There are two types of food processor. On the one hand, there are classic food processors. They have the three basic functions of stirring, mixing and whisking. On the other hand, there are multifunctional kitchen machines. In addition to the basic functions, they have other special functions.
- When buying a food processor, you should pay attention to the technical data, the functions and the material. There are big differences here. You should also pay attention to the dimensions of the food processor.
The Best Food Processor: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for kitchen machines
Kitchen machines are a dime a dozen. The market offers them in many different versions. To help you find the right machine in this huge selection, there are a few criteria you should consider.
With the help of these criteria, you can compare kitchen machines with each other:
This section explains the most important criteria in more detail so that you can find the right food processor for you.
The most important thing is the performance of a food processor. This includes various technical data. These features characterise the performance of a food processor.
The power in watts indicates how powerful the food processor is. Depending on the model and function, the power varies from 500 to over 2,000 watts. Food processors with a high wattage rating are more powerful than those with a low wattage rating.
The operating time shows you how long the food processor can work without interruption. If the machine is in operation for too long, the motor could overheat. This will damage the food processor. To avoid this, the operating time must match your cooking intentions.
The next point is the mixing system. The planetary mixing system is the most efficient. With this technology, the dough hooks not only rotate around the centre axis, but also around themselves. This ensures that the dough is kneaded more evenly.
It is an advantage if you can regulate the speed of the mixer. This allows you to adjust it to your preparation requirements. For example, soups and cream do not need the same mixing speed.
Many food processors can do much more than just knead, stir and mix. If you want to buy a food processor, the functions are very important. In this table you will find attachments or functions that food processors have:
|Function / Attachment||Description|
|Whisk||This is used to mix or whip the contents in the mixing bowl.|
|Dough hook||You need this to knead a dough.|
|Blending||For smoothies or to chop food, it is best to use the blender attachment|
|Chopping||Some food processors can chop fruit, for example.|
|Grating disc||Vegetables can be grated into thin slices with this.|
|Child safety lock||If you have small children, you should definitely get a food processor with a child safety lock.|
|Splash guard||A splash guard is helpful for very liquid contents. This keeps you and your kitchen clean.|
Depending on the machine, there are many more special functions. Some machines offer over 30 different functions.
When choosing the mixing bowl, you should pay attention to the material, cleaning and capacity.
An important quality feature of kitchen machines is the material. Therefore, pay attention to the material of the bowl and the housing.
The most common models are either made of plastic or stainless steel. Plastic mixing bowls are not as robust, but they are cheaper. Stainless steel mixing bowls usually last longer and are also of higher quality.
Not all attachments and bowls can be put in the dishwasher. If quick cleaning is important to you, choose a dishwasher-safe food processor. Make sure that the mixing bowl is not too high for your dishwasher.
The capacity is the maximum amount of food in the bowl. Your required volume is related to your household size. The higher the capacity, the more will fit in the mixing bowl.
Last but not least, you need a suitable place for your food processor. Choose a place with a good power supply. Does your food processor have a fixed place or do you put it away after use? Depending on the location, other criteria need to be taken into account.
A food processor needs space. Some attachments are placed on top of the machine. Make sure that they have enough space at the top. When you put your machine away after use, a cable storage solution is helpful. This keeps the cable out of the way.
The last point is the weight of the food processor. This is not relevant if it is placed in a fixed location. But if you have to adjust it again and again, the machine should not be too heavy. Lightweight machines are usually smaller and easier to store.
Decision: What types of food processors are there and which is the right one for you?
When it comes to food processors, it is difficult to define different types. Generally, they only differ in the number of functions. That is why in this article we distinguish between classic food processors and multifunctional food processors.
|Classic kitchen machine||Less expensive than multifunctional kitchen machines||Only basic functions can be used|
|Multifunctional kitchen machine||All-rounder of kitchen appliances||Requires a lot of space for individual parts|
In this section, we go into more detail about the two types of food processor. We would like to help you find the right food processor for you.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about kitchen machines answered in detail
What is a food processor?
A classic food processor can only help you with these basic functions. Multifunctional food processors have many other helpful functions. Some of them can also cook and prepare complete meals.
These all-rounders have become indispensable in every kitchen.
Food processors consist of a frame with a swivel arm. The various attachments are attached to this arm. The mixing bowl is in the centre of the frame. This is where the magic of the food processor is performed. Everything from bread dough and vegetables to nut puree and pizza dough can be prepared in the mixing bowl. The food processor is powered by a built-in motor.
Who is a food processor suitable for?
Multifunctional kitchen appliances are particularly suitable for small kitchens. The attachments save you from having to buy additional appliances. The compact appliances are also very space-saving.
What are the alternatives to a food processor?
In this table, we have compiled the most important alternatives for you.
|Hand mixer||This electronic kitchen appliance has the same basic functions as a food processor. The attachments move automatically. However, the mixer must be moved by you.|
|Blender||With the blender you can puree food. This chops them up or even makes them liquid.|
|Whisk||In combination with your muscle power, you can stir and mix with it.|
|Blender||A blender purees and mixes food. A blade is built into the container. This is turned by a motor.|
If you don't want to buy each kitchen appliance separately, a food processor is the best option. In addition, you can save space in your kitchen.
How do I clean a food processor?
- Dishwasher: Some food processors have dishwasher-safe components. Everything gets clean in the dishwasher without much effort.
- Oiling: Certain foods can leave discolouration. Put some cooking oil on a dry cloth. This can be used to rub away discolouration easily.
- Gentle cleaning: Many people use steel wool for stubborn stains. To avoid scratching the bowl, rags or brushes are more suitable.
- Dishwashing liquid: You can clean sealable containers with water and dishwashing liquid. Put this mixture in the container and shake it vigorously.
All attachments that are not dishwasher safe must be cleaned by hand. Fill your sink with warm water and washing-up liquid.
How long have kitchen machines been around?
He wanted to invent a device that kneaded the dough automatically. The idea of the kitchen machine was born.
Herbert Johnston brought an electric dough mixer onto the market, but it was only suitable for bakeries. This machine could hold a full 75 litres of dough. Herbert Johnston continued to tinker in order to help housewives as well. Five years later, he brought the first household mixer onto the market.
He marketed these two kitchen appliances through the "Kitchen Aid" company.
It was not until 2007 that the kitchen appliance reached Europe and thus also Germany.
What should I do if my food processor overheats?
For food processors without overheating protection, you can proceed as follows:
- Switch off: Turn off your food processor completely. Also disconnect it from the power supply.
- Wait: Let the machine cool down for at least 15 minutes.
- Switch on: When the food processor is no longer hot, you can switch it on again. First test it in a low gear to see if it runs properly again.
The suppliers of your food processor have further tips on how to deal with overheating either on their website or in the operating instructions.
Can I make ice cream with a food processor?
For example, you need a frozen banana and 50 grams of frozen berries. Blend everything in the blender attachment until creamy. It only takes a few seconds. And your vegan ice cream is ready.
Depending on your preferences, you can experiment with your ingredients until you have created your perfect recipe.
Image source: Serezniy/ 123rf.com