Do you like playing video games and spend a lot of time at your desk? Then a special gamer desk could be just the thing for you. Compared to a conventional desk, it offers many advantages that create the perfect atmosphere. In the following article, we would like to give you an overview and summarise all relevant information on the topic of a gamer's desk. After reading our article, you will be familiar with the different types and materials. So you know what is important when buying a gamer's desk.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Gamer Desk: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for gamer desks
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about the gamer desk answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
- A gamer desk offers many features that are perfect for people who love to play video games.
- Height adjustability, cable management system, headset holder and much more offer a great gaming experience and a tidy workspace.
- Gamer desks come in different shapes and materials. Here it is important to inform yourself well before buying in order to make the perfect choice.
The Best Gamer Desk: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for gamer desks
To help you with your purchase decision, we have summarised the most important buying criteria for a gamer's desk. Hopefully, this will help you find the right desk for you. The criteria are as follows:
Now we would like to explain to you exactly what to look for in each of the criteria, so that you have all the information you need before making a purchase.
The size of your desk depends on how much equipment you need to store on it. Gamers often need a little more space, as monitors, boxes, controllers and other accessories need to be accommodated. We recommend a desk that is at least 1.10 m wide. This way, there should be enough space for all items. The height of a gamer's desk should ideally be between 70 and 80 cm. However, if the desk is height-adjustable, the table height can be individually adjusted to the chair. In addition, we recommend a depth of at least 60 cm. If you have a lot of gaming accessories and a large monitor, a depth of 80 cm is probably the better choice.
There are gaming desks made of different materials. Each material has different properties.
- Wood: A wooden gamer desk is usually very stable and scratch-resistant. However, if the table is not made of solid wood, the quality may be somewhat inferior.
- Glass: If you choose a glass table, you usually get a very stylish design. Regardless of the table's appearance, glass can be a disadvantage because it is not particularly shatterproof and has a very slippery surface.
- Plastic: Plastic gaming desks offer many different designs and options. A high-quality plastic desk is very stable and has an ideal non-slip surface.
- Metal: A metal desk is very sturdy and in many cases offers the option of integrating your PC directly into the cabinet. However, a metal table can be very expensive and tends to be less scratch- and slip-resistant.
As you can see, each material has its own advantages and disadvantages. Now you have to decide for yourself which material best suits your needs.
The possibility of individual height adjustment on your gamer's desk can make a lot of things easier for you. Especially for people who spend a lot of time at their desk, it is important to have an optimal sitting position to avoid back and neck pain. With the height adjustment, you can ideally adjust your sitting position.
A cable management system can be very useful, because especially when playing video games, the cables of the various devices are on the desk and can cause a mess. A large number of gamer desks offer the option of placing cables neatly and concealed. This makes the desk look much tidier and prevents cables from getting tangled up.
Many gaming desks have an integrated drink holder. This can be very practical, as there is no risk of spilling a drink all over your technology. If the glass is directly on the table, you have to be very careful when playing.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about the gamer desk answered in detail
What is a gamer desk?
A gaming desk can be very space-saving and provide more order on the table through its functions. Furthermore, an ideal sitting position can be achieved with height-adjustable desks. So anyone who spends a lot of time at their desk, regardless of video gaming, should definitely take a look at a gaming desk.
What types of gaming desks are there?
- Rectangular gaming table: A rectangular table is probably the most classic form of a desk. This shape offers a lot of space and is easy to accommodate in rooms. Other pieces of furniture can easily be placed next to it. On the other hand, a rectangular table looks very bulky and the corners cannot be used for working.
- Square gaming table: A square table is often very inexpensive and can be ideally placed because it does not take up much space. However, this type of table will probably not provide enough space for a gamer.
- Corner gaming table: This table is perfect for placing in the corner of a room. It offers plenty of space for a gaming setup. One disadvantage is that such tables are usually relatively expensive.
- Kidney-shaped gaming table: This type of table is characterised by its rounded corners. The ergonomic shape can be very comfortable. However, this shape is often very expensive and difficult to combine with other furniture.
Which form you ultimately choose depends on your personal preferences. In addition, the shape must be easy to integrate into your room.
What does a gamer's desk cost?
|Price class||Available products|
|Low-priced 100 - 200 €)||Classic rectangular design|
|Medium-priced 200 - 500 €)||More space and storage in the form of shelves|
|High-priced from 500€)||High-quality materials and electrically height-adjustable|
It can be said that you can get good gaming desks with all the necessary functions even in the low-price segment. If you invest a little more money, you can buy larger models made of high-quality materials.
What accessories are available for gamer desks?
Gamer desks are a great option for you if you love playing video games. But even if you just spend a lot of time at your desk, you can benefit from the advantages of a gamer desk. Cable management systems, holders for headphones and drinks, and extra storage space make for a neat and tidy desk. There are many different types of gamer desks. So there is something for every taste and every need. The design and functions play an important role in the purchase decision.
Image source: Amr Taha / Unsplash