When tasting a dish, the finest and most knowledgeable palates can perceive the ingredients involved in its preparation.
Regardless of its preparation process and the type of food, somewhere in its composition it contains a seasoning that helps to give it flavour. One of the basic elements is garlic salt. Join us in this article, as we will be talking about this seasoning, its advantages, disadvantages and any other essential details to know so you can go out and buy it like a true expert.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Garlic Salt: Our Picks
- 4 Buying guide: What you need to know about garlic salt
- 5 Shopping criteria
- Garlic salt is a seasoning ingredient for food that helps to flavour food. It is used as a substitute for fresh garlic during the process of preparing savoury foods. It results from a mixture of garlic and salt.
- Depending on what you want to cook, you can choose between two types of garlic, granulated or powdered. Their physical difference helps to better execute the seasoning of food according to its type.
- In order to safely buy the seasoning we need, it is useful to know criteria that can influence purchasing decisions, some of them are the gastronomic uses that can be obtained, the contribution of garlic salt in dishes, organic garlic salt, and whether it is suitable for hypertension sufferers.
The Best Garlic Salt: Our Picks
Buying guide: What you need to know about garlic salt
In this section we are going to talk you more in depth about the product with the idea of capturing all the information you need to go, search and choose with confidence the garlic salt that will best suit your culinary needs.
What is garlic salt and what are its advantages?
Garlic salt is a seasoning for cooking, i.e. it is a seasoning that helps to give flavour and smell to food in the process of preparation. Its basic composition is ground dried garlic in combination with table salt; other combinations include other types of salt such as Himalayan or Dead Sea salt. This gastronomic element replaces the use of natural garlic and is used in foods such as meats, soups, fish and seafood, poultry, among others.
This seasoning in combination with others such as pepper or onion salt creates unique aromas and flavours in food. There are many advantages, as even garlic provides health benefits, some of them for example are its low calorie level, it provides nutrients such as fibre, vitamin C and B6, manganese, copper, potassium. Thanks to garlic, its constant consumption improves the function of the immune system and helps to reduce cholesterol levels, among others.
Granulated or powdered garlic salt - what should you look out for?
In the spice aisle of any grocery shop, you can find a number of seasonings that will blend with the food of your choice, including the option to purchase granulated garlic salt and garlic salt powder.
- Granulated. Considered to be the most suitable option for fresh garlic. Granulated garlic salt, with a coarser texture and with the appearance of having been minced, is a salt that due to its qualities is less likely to clump together and is therefore the best alternative to be used with certain foods or dishes.
- Powdered. Powdered garlic salt has a finer texture and a stronger flavour than granulated garlic salt. It is the right choice for dishes that are made in a short cooking time, releasing its flavour and aroma faster.
|Equivalence (1 clove of garlic)||½ teaspoon||1/3 teaspoon|
|Usage||Suitable for soups and wet dishes||Quick cooking dishes|
|Flavour||Less intense||More intense|
Although there is no real science involved in buying a garlic salt, we would like to give you a couple of recommendations to consider when deciding on a brand or type of garlic, hopefully this will help you to think through all the details of the seasoning you will take home.
Above we have mentioned in broad strokes some of the most common food uses, we have also talked about granulated garlic salt and its sister garlic salt powder, but well then which one to buy depending on the way you cook, we will leave you with a brief guide so that you don't get lost or know if you need both.
|Action||Type of salt|
|Seasoning||You can use both -granulated and powdered-|
|Quick cooking||Powdered salt dissolves and releases flavour faster|
|Liquids||Use granulated salt because powdered salt clumps together and forms lumps|
|Injecting||Powdered salt is injected into meats|
|Sprinkling||Powdered salt is more suitable|
|Frying||Both burn quickly|
Contribution to dishes
Garlic salt is a spice used in virtually every dish, as is onion salt or salt on its own or even seasonings such as consommé, but why do we use them? In some cases it seems more like a learned tradition than a conscious action, so it's worth thinking about it.
Flavours and smells. Seasoning is an essential part of the success of dishes as it transforms an unpalatable food into delicate or strong flavours depending on the desired appearance. Taste and smell are activated when the delicacy has been finished, the smell invites craving the moment it detects its existence.
Enhance flavour and colour. Many dishes would not be the same without the addition of garlic salt and other seasonings that help to give an explosive, traditional and already recognised flavour to the palate, the combination of the whole achieves a unique flavour effect that in certain foods also helps to make them more appetising.
Organic garlic salt
Nowadays we have the opportunity to choose many products in the organic version, but what does this really mean? The term organic is given to those consumables that have been produced by ecological methods, i.e. that do not contain pesticides, herbicides or artificial fertilisers, so what is the benefit of this?
In principle we will be contributing to buying products that do not harm the ecosystem and we will also have the security of consuming food that was planted in more fertile soil and with purer water, which will therefore have better taste, colour and aroma, which are more nutritious and healthier.
If you or someone else in your family suffers from hypertension you may be wondering if you can consume this kind of product, as food is one of the basis of your wellbeing and stability. Salt, sugar and saturated fats are not recommended ingredients in the daily diet.
This condiment has garlic as an ally, which provides an element called allicin; a natural enzyme that offers benefits for heart health. The most advisable option is to eat it natural and straight, but if you consume a little of this spice you will not have repercussions, without abusing it and taking into account that it is combined with salt.
(Featured image source: Sebnem Ragiboglu/ 123rf.com)