Welcome! Women with wavy, curly and frizzy hair who are looking for perfect curl definition must have heard of the hair diffuser, right? The accessory helps not only to dry the wires, but does so in a way that curls are preserved and more defined. But do you know which is the best hair diffuser for you? That's what we're going to talk about in this article.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 First things first
- 3 The Best Hair Diffusers: Our Picks
- 4 Buying Guide
- 4.1 What is a hair diffuser?
- 4.2 What is a hair diffuser for?
- 4.3 Who should have a curl diffuser?
- 4.4 What are the types of hair diffuser?
- 4.5 How to use the hair diffuser?
- 4.6 Is there an ideal diffuser for every hair type?
- 4.7 What are the advantages and disadvantages of the hair diffuser?
- 4.8 How much does it cost and where to buy a hair diffuser?
- 5 Purchase Criteria: How to compare hair diffusers
First things first
- The hair diffuser is an accessory that is fitted to the nozzle of the hairdryer.
- The diffuser distributes hot air and dries the hair evenly, defining curls and removing frizz.
- As there are several types of hair diffusers, it is necessary to consider some factors in order to buy the best one. The main ones are size, shape and compatibility with the hair dryer.
The Best Hair Diffusers: Our Picks
What is a hair diffuser?
What is a hair diffuser for?
Who should have a curl diffuser?
What are the types of hair diffuser?
|Traditional diffuser||Large diffuser||Handheld diffuser|
|Feature||Standard size||Larger model||In the shape of a hand, fits any dryer|
|Ideal for||Curling medium and long hair||Faster curling||360-degree airflow allows natural drying from the root|
How to use the hair diffuser?
- Divide your hair into locks and place each lock of hair in turn into the diffuser nozzle;
- Always use the diffuser from the bottom upwards, making a back and forth movement;
- Do not leave the appliance standing for a long time in the same position or on the lock of hair;
- Never use a very hot temperature in order not to damage the strand;
- When all the locks are dry, apply a jet of cold air (without the diffuser) to ensure brighter curls and prevent even more frizz.
Is there an ideal diffuser for every hair type?
Anyway, it's important to consider that, depending on your hair type, you can adopt practices and use specific products both to protect your hair, such as heat protectant, and to help define and maintain the curls before and after using the hair diffuser. For example, one technique that you can adopt to help shape your curly hair is to use a styling process before using the diffuser.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the hair diffuser?
This way, the curls remain longer without coming undone. Another advantage is that there are different types of diffusers, with different sizes and shapes. This way, you can use the curl diffuser efficiently on long, medium and even short hair. On the other hand, if you use the diffuser on a very hot temperature you may end up damaging your hair. Another disadvantage is that the diffuser needs to be compatible with the dryer nozzle to work properly. However, as we'll see later, there is a universal model. Below, check the table illustrating the main advantages and disadvantages of the hair diffuser:
How much does it cost and where to buy a hair diffuser?
Purchase Criteria: How to compare hair diffusers
To choose the best hair diffuser amidst so many different models, we recommend that you take into consideration some aspects that differentiate one accessory from another. They are:
Below, you check out how to analyse each of these factors.
The first criterion you should take into account when choosing the best hair diffuser is size. The larger the diffuser, the more amount of hair you will be able to dry and style in one go. However, smaller diffusers can be ideal for those looking for even greater curl definition.
In addition to size, look at the shape of the hair diffuser. You will find options for shallower diffusers and others with a deeper concavity. The first one may be more practical to be used in short hair. But this model is also efficient for those who want to dry and define the curls only at the ends of the hair.
The deeper diffuser, on the other hand, is able to accommodate more hair, which can be ideal for those with long strands. In addition, you can also consider the handheld diffuser which, as we've seen, is the one that can dry the strands from root to tip.
Another criterion you should consider is that there are combos on sale, in which the diffuser already comes along with a hair dryer. In this case, you can choose between two options:
- Dryer + diffuser
- Dryer + diffuser + other nozzles
The advantage of buying the combo is that you ensure that the diffuser will fit perfectly with the hair dryer.
Compatibility with a hairdryer
But if you already have your favourite hair dryer and just want to buy the hair diffuser, it is important to check if the accessory and the hair dryer are compatible. To do this, the diffuser needs to have the appropriate fitting for the nozzle of the hairdryer. To make it easier, manufacturers offer a universal diffuser which can be fitted to any hairdryer.
However, the universal hair diffuser does not always actually work perfectly with every type and model of hairdryer. Therefore, the ideal is to test it before closing the purchase. If this is not an option for you, it is best to choose to buy a hair diffuser that is compatible with the model and brand of your hairdryer. In general, the manufacturer indicates this information in the product description.
(Featured image source: foto4inet/ 123rf.com)