Heavy-duty shelf is by far not only found in storage rooms or office archives. They have also found their way into private households. They are used in the garage to store tyres or in the living room as a stable base for the aquarium or as a design object with an industrial look. The choice is immense due to the different uses. It is difficult to keep track of them all.
But we can help you! The following guide, including heavy-duty shelf recommendations from 2021, contains everything you need to know to find the perfect shelf.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Heavy-Duty Shelf: Our Choices
- 4 Buying and Evaluation Criteria for Heavy-Duty Shelving Units
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked Questions on the Subject of Heavy-Duty Shelving answered in Detail
- 6 Conclusion
- Heavy duty shelving is enormously robust and stable so that very heavy or very large objects can be organised there.
- These shelving systems can withstand loads of up to several tonnes per shelf.
- Depending on the type, heavy-duty shelving is so flexible in height, width and depth that it can be used just about anywhere.
The Best Heavy-Duty Shelf: Our Choices
We've picked out the most common uses for heavy duty shelving for you and put together a recommendation for each. But read for yourself.
Buying and Evaluation Criteria for Heavy-Duty Shelving Units
In DIY stores and on the internet, you can usually find more than one type of shelving. Which one is right for you depends on the following criteria.
It's best to first read through what you need to consider here and then decide what you need.
Load capacity per shelf
As the name suggests, heavy-duty shelving is designed to hold heavy objects. But so that the shelf doesn't collapse like a simple shelf, you need to know how much weight you can put on each individual shelf.
Number of shelves
Some heavy-duty shelves are very flexible and you can use many shelves, but this is not always necessary. Especially if you want to store big, bulky things like tyres in it, you don't need so many shelves.
The material usually varies between metal, wood and plastic. They differ in design, their maximum load capacity and whether or not they should be used in damp rooms or outdoors.
You can buy heavy-duty shelving in various heights, widths and depths. Some are so flexible that they can be perfectly adapted to your needs.
- Height: Measure how high your room is so you know the maximum height your heavy duty shelving can be. We recommend buying the shelf so that it has clearance from the ceiling, so you can store a lot on top of the shelf.
- Width: In addition to the height, the width of your shelving is also important. Measure here too, so that you don't buy a shelf that doesn't fit in the right place.
- Depth: The depth is the distance that indicates how far back your shelf should reach. Imagine you want to put your aquarium on your heavy duty shelf, then the depth of the aquarium must be the same or greater than the depth of the shelf. Or do you want the aquarium to fall down?
Hopefully you are now ready to buy. If you're not yet, take a look at the FAQs.
Guide: Frequently asked Questions on the Subject of Heavy-Duty Shelving answered in Detail
If you are still undecided and need more information, then you have come to the right place. Here are the most frequently asked questions and answers about heavy-duty shelving.
What is a heavy-duty shelf and who is it suitable for?
In principle, such shelving is suitable for anyone who wants to store heavy goods of up to several tonnes.
What types of heavy-duty shelves are there?
|Shelving||the classic heavy-duty shelving, comes in various sizes and with height-adjustable shelves, the all-rounder among heavy-duty shelving|
|Pallet shelving||suitable for storing pallets and is therefore standardised|
|Cantilever shelving||are very variable and can also be used without shelves.|
|Flow racking||serve as a storage location and as a transport route, as they are used as a handling location, they often have castors and a drive|
Again, think about what you want to store in the shelving, then consider which type will fit.
How much does heavy-duty shelf cost?
|Price range||Available products|
|20-50 euros||Load capacity per shelf 75-175 kilograms|
|50-100 euros||Load capacity per shelf 75-400 kilograms|
|100-200 euros||Load capacity per shelf up to 400 kilograms|
|from 200 euros||Load capacity per shelf of several tonnes|
As a general rule, if you want a large load capacity, you have to dig deeper into your pockets.
How much weight do I need heavy-duty shelving for?
- Load capacity of household shelves: 50-100 kilograms per shelf
- Load capacity of heavy-duty shelves: up to several tonnes per shelf
Apart from the load capacity, sometimes a heavy-duty shelf is needed for smaller weights, because the objects to be stored are too big for a conventional shelf.
Heavy-duty shelving is suitable for storing heavy and / or voluminous objects. Most heavy-duty shelving systems are enormously flexible and can be perfectly adapted to the circumstances by varying the number of boards or the mass itself.
Which shelving system is the perfect one for you cannot be answered in a general way. You need to be aware of where you want to use the shelf, for what purpose and what is to be stored in it. Only then will you find your perfect shelf.
Image source: 113851198 / 123rf