The hose trolley helps to keep the garden tidy and free from tripping hazards. Besides, it protects the garden hose from unwanted kinks and prevents it from wearing out quickly. Equipped with creative and useful features, the hose trolley is not only a help, but a real enrichment for gardening.
With our great hose cart test 2021 we compare different hose carts to help you, whether beginner or professional, find the right hose cart for your gardening needs. We cover the pros and cons of different hose reels to help you decide which one to buy.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Hose Trolley: Our Choices
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for your hose cart
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about hose reels answered in detail
- 5.1 What is a hose cart and how does it work?
- 5.2 What types of hose trolley are there and which one is right for me?
- 5.3 How do I connect the hose cart?
- 5.4 What dimensions should the garden hose have?
- 5.5 What accessories and features are available for the hose cart?
- 5.6 What are the alternatives to a hose cart?
- 5.7 How much does a hose cart cost?
- The hose trolley is used to store the garden hose compactly and free from kinks. It creates order in the garden and increases the longevity of the garden hose.
- The garden hose is available both with and without hose, or as a complete set. With features such as a hose guide, it enables clean and easy work in the garden.
- There is also the right hose cart for uneven and very large terrain. With four wheels and a high pick-up capacity, the hose cart can be a relief even for such plots.
The Best Hose Trolley: Our Choices
Buying and evaluation criteria for your hose cart
In the following, we show you what you should look out for in order to find the right hose cart for you. The criteria you can use to compare hose reels for your garden include:
In the following, we will explain to you what you need to pay particular attention to with regard to these criteria.
Dimensions for the right hose reel
When buying a hose reel, you should consider its capacity. This is important so that your garden hose, if you already have one at home, fits well on your hose reel.
One decisive factor for the capacity is the hose length, which can range from 20 to over 100 metres. If your hose is too short for the hose cart, you will use up unnecessary space. If the garden hose is too long, it will drag on the ground and tip over more easily due to its weight.
Therefore, before you buy, you should check what length of hose your future hose cart should be able to accommodate. It is also important to bear in mind that a wider hose takes up more space, even if it is the same length. Therefore, the thickness of the hose also plays a role when choosing the size of your hose reel.
You should also consider the thickness of the garden hose when it comes to the connection. Many hose reels now have adapters for the connections and are therefore compatible with different sizes. However, these are not always included in the delivery, so it is worth considering before buying.
You don't own a garden hose yet? Then a hose cart set could be the right solution for you. In this case, the hose is supplied at the same time. You can be sure that your future hose cart and garden hose will fit together.
Complete sets often include accessories such as adapters and shower heads.
When buying a hose reel, you should also pay attention to the material. A hose reel consists of a hose reel and a frame with wheels and handle, which are responsible for the stability and make it easy to pull the hose reel. In most cases, the frame and handle are made of metal. The hose reels, on the other hand, are available in both metal and plastic.
- Stainless metals are well suited for permanent outdoor use. They are UV-resistant and winter-proof, ensuring that your hose cart will stand up to any weather in the garden or on the roof terrace. A metal hose reel is very robust and will not become brittle or fade.
- Plastic also allows a hose reel to remain rust-free. However, sunlight leaves its mark on the material over time. Compared to the metal model, it is therefore less weather-resistant. However, it has the advantage that it has a lower dead weight and is therefore easier to move.
Unlike other types of garden hose storage, there is no automatic rewind technique for the hose reel, which automatically rewinds the hose without the need for muscle power. This rewind technique is used for hose boxes and not for hose carts.
Normally you wind up the garden hose using a crank on the side of the hose reel. This requires strength. You guide the hose with your hands to be able to roll it up as evenly as possible.
Some hose reels also have winding aids in the form of a hose guide. This helps to roll up the garden hose neatly and without kinks. It has the further advantage that you do not have to touch the garden hose when winding it up. This keeps your hands clean.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about hose reels answered in detail
What is a hose cart and how does it work?
The hose cart creates more order because the entire garden hose can be stored safely and compactly. It also has advantages for the lawn, as the garden hose leaves damage on the lawn if it lies around there for a long time.
What types of hose trolley are there and which one is right for me?
- The two-wheeled hose cart
- The four-wheeled hose cart
They hardly differ in their mode of operation, but they still have their advantages and disadvantages in handling.
Hose cart with two wheels
The hose cart with two wheels is more common. It has a stand for stability and is designed to be as space-saving as possible. Due to its light weight, you can easily carry it if you have stairs in your garden, for example. Its capacity makes it suitable for medium to large gardens.
Four-wheeled hose cart
The four-wheeled hose cart has increased stability and does not tip over easily. The extra wheels mean it travels well over uneven ground and is easy to move, even when the garden hose is fully coiled. The four-wheeled hose cart usually has more storage capacity than the average hose cart and is therefore suitable for larger gardens.
Deciding which of the two hose carts is better for you depends on the size and condition of your property. You should also ask yourself whether you want a mobile and robust or a space-saving and lightweight hose cart for the garden.
How do I connect the hose cart?
The connection for the water supply is located on the outside of the hose reel of the cart and must be connected there. Most hose reels have a 3/4 inch diameter connection for this purpose.
You can screw the garden hose inside the hose reel. The connection for the garden hose is usually 1/2 inch in diameter. When you have connected the garden hose without any problems, you can roll it onto the hose reel.
What dimensions should the garden hose have?
Remember that a garden hose takes up a lot of space due to its immobility. When making your final decision about the length, round it up a bit.
When measuring your garden, you can use a string that you tie to your tap.
If you need a lot of water for your plants, a wider diameter garden hose will provide more water and reduce the time you have to spend watering.
What accessories and features are available for the hose cart?
- Holder for hose: The head of the garden hose can be hooked onto the handle and is thus always within reach and does not drag on the ground.
- Holder for sprinklers: Here you can place the sprinklers you need for watering directly on the hose trolley. So you always have them at hand when you need them.
- Adapters: They make it possible to connect your hose cart with garden hoses of different sizes and different connections.
- Water stop: It prevents the water from dripping after the garden hose has been used. So there is no unnecessary water loss.
- Height-adjustable handles: The trolley can be stored more compactly. In addition, you can set it at your preferred height for working.
- Air-filled tires: They increase the mobility of the hose cart, as you can drive over uneven surfaces without difficulty.
These useful extras make gardening easier for you. Accessories such as shower heads and adapters can often be purchased separately. While features such as a drip stop are already built into the hose reel from the start.
Spare parts for the hose reel are rather difficult to find on the internet, so you should contact the manufacturer directly. In most cases, they can help you or sell you a spare part.
What are the alternatives to a hose cart?
|Type||Types of storage|
|Hose cart||Is mobile due to its wheels, Has a larger storage capacity, Is suitable for medium to large gardens|
|Hose reel||Has no wheels, Is compact and space-saving, Must be carried for transport, Is suitable for smaller to medium gardens|
|Hose box||Is designed to be hung on the wall, Has an automatic rewind mechanism, Is suitable for smaller gardens|
Each garden tool has its advantages and disadvantages, which are mainly related to their place of use. In comparison, the hose cart seems to be superior to the alternatives for medium-sized and larger gardens.
How much does a hose cart cost?
Likewise, the professional devices with above-average size or quality are the most expensive products.
|Hose cart type||Price range|
|Hose cart with 2 wheels||approx. 40-150€|
|Hose cart with 4 wheels||approx. 80-200€|
Two-wheeled hose carts can cost up to €150 if they include many extras or high-quality materials. Simple versions that allow the basic functions can be purchased for as little as 40 euros.
Due to their size and more elaborate design, hose carts with four wheels are significantly more expensive than those with two wheels. Simple versions are available from 80 euros, while professional models can cost up to 200 euros.
Image source: Nopharat/ 123rf.com