Welcome to our big indoor barbecue test 2022. Here we present all the indoor grills we have tested in detail. We have compiled detailed background information and added a summary of customer reviews on the web. We would like to make your purchase decision easier and help you find the best indoor grill for you. You will also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. If available, we also offer interesting test videos. Furthermore, you will also find some important information on this page that you should definitely pay attention to if you want to buy an indoor grill.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Indoor Grill: Our Picks
- 4 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying an indoor grill
- 5 Decision: What types of indoor barbecues are there and which one is right for you?
- 6 Buying criteria: Use these factors to compare and evaluate indoor grills
- 7 Facts worth knowing about indoor grills
- An indoor grill can be ideal for you if you not only want to grill in the summer, but also want to enjoy your grilled meat in bad weather or in the winter. It is also ideal if you don't have a garden or the possibility of setting up a large charcoal barbecue.
- With indoor grills, you have the option between an electronic indoor grill and a low-smoke indoor grill with charcoal. With the low-smoke grill, the smoke is not 100% gone, so you should use it on balconies or terraces. It is also possible to use it in a well-ventilated room so that no health damage occurs.
- What is important for indoor grills is definitely the grill surface, the power of the grill and the material used.
The Best Indoor Grill: Our Picks
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying an indoor grill
Who is an indoor grill suitable for?
How does an indoor grill work?
Another variation of the indoor grill is the low-smoke charcoal grill. As the name suggests, the grill is not 100% smoke-free, so it is better to use it on the balcony or terrace. However, if the room in which you are grilling can be well ventilated, you can also use it indoors.
How does the indoor grill compare to the conventional grill?
What additional functions should an indoor grill have?
|Type of indoor grill||Useful functions||Use in everyday life|
|Electric grill||Temperature regulator||You should not grill every dish at full heat straight away, so a regulator for the temperature is always important.|
|Low-smoke indoor grill||Grease drip tray||To make it easier for you to clean your grill after use, your grill should have a tray to make it easier to dispose of the grease.|
How much does an indoor grill cost?
What are the alternatives to an indoor grill?
|Alternatives to the indoor grill||Differences|
|Conventional grill||The normal charcoal grill as you know it. A good alternative if you have a good place to grill, like a garden. The advantage here is the larger surface area, so you can grill more meat at once.|
|Grill pans||If you don't necessarily need a grill, you can simply buy a pan. You can also fry your meat in this pan and cleaning is often even quicker.|
Decision: What types of indoor barbecues are there and which one is right for you?
What distinguishes an indoor charcoal grill and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
An indoor barbecue with charcoal works through two built-in techniques:
- A ventilation system so that smoke does not rise.
- A grease drip tray so that the grease does not drip and evaporate.
With the low-smoke indoor grills, you must bear in mind that the smoke cannot be removed 100%. Therefore, the recommendation for barbecuing is rather outdoors, such as on terraces or balconies. However, the grill can also be used in well-ventilated rooms.
What distinguishes an electronic indoor grill and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
The conventional indoor grills are characterised by the fact that they are easy to use via a plug. In addition, the heat develops quickly, which makes quick grilling possible.
Another advantage of the grill is the possibility to grill with less fat. This is especially possible with contact grilling, because in combination with baking paper the food does not burn and cleaning is also easier. In the meantime, there are also infrared grills that can also be used indoors and are also 100% smoke-free.
Buying criteria: Use these factors to compare and evaluate indoor grills
In the following, we will show you which aspects you can use to decide between the many possible indoor grills. The criteria you can use to compare the grills with each other include:
In the following paragraphs, we will explain what is important in each of the criteria.
Size and weight
Size and weight are important factors when deciding whether to buy a barbecue because they make it easier or more difficult to use. For example, if you are inviting family and friends to a barbecue party, you should buy a larger indoor barbecue so that more meat can be grilled at once. Size and weight also affect the way you can store your barbecue. If the grill is too big, you won't be able to store it in a box and it will be too bulky for indoor use.
Especially with electric grills, you should pay attention to the power. It is decisive for the power of your grill, i.e. how quickly the grill heats up and how quickly it can grill the meat. The key figure for the power is the number of watts; the higher this number, the better the grill. An electric grill delivers good performance at 2000 watts. If the electric grill has a wattage between 2000 and 3000, it is good.
When it comes to materials, you should make sure that everything is of a high quality, i.e. that there are no gaps or holes anywhere, because this only makes cleaning more difficult and is also a sign of poor quality. You should not buy such barbecues, because they will not last long. The material should be steel or cast iron, preferably stainless steel. The standard grill grate or grill plate is usually made of steel or cast iron, but there is also the option of a ceramic plate. Such a grill plate also prevents smoke development, of course, as the fat can be collected better.
Facts worth knowing about indoor grills
What is the best way to clean an indoor grill?
When cleaning the barbecue, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure that your barbecue always stays clean and that you can use it for a long time:
- After each use, the grill grate should be cleaned of oil, grease and food residues.
- If you have not used it for a long time, you should also clean the interior beforehand. Otherwise at least once a month.
- Do not damage the paint or the coating. Avoid sharp objects and use warm water with detergent.
- If you wish, you can also use special care sprays.
- After cleaning, let the grill dry out before using it again.
What is the best way to grill meat?
If you are new to grilling, an indoor grill is always recommended.
Not only can you start practising with a small grill, but also in bad weather. Image source: unsplash.com / Andrik Langfield