Welcome to our big infrared barbecue test 2021. Here we present all the infrared grills we have tested. We have compiled detailed background information and added a summary of customer reviews on the web. We would like to make your purchase decision easier and help you find the best product for you. You will also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. If available, we also offer interesting test videos. Furthermore, you will also find some important information on this page that you should definitely pay attention to if you want to buy an infrared grill.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 Infrared Grill: Our Picks
- 4 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying an infrared grill
- 4.1 How does an infrared grill work?
- 4.2 Who is an infrared grill suitable for?
- 4.3 What is an infrared grill suitable for?
- 4.4 Which infrared grill is ideal for me?
- 4.5 How much does an infrared grill cost?
- 4.6 What is the advantage of the infrared grill compared to other types of grill?
- 4.7 Why is the infrared grill sustainable?
- 5 Decision: What types of infrared grills are there and which is the right one for you?
- 5.1 What are the features of an infrared table grill and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
- 5.2 What distinguishes an electric infrared grill and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
- 5.3 What distinguishes a gas barbecue with an infrared burner and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
- 5.4 What distinguishes multifunctional appliances with an infrared grill and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
- 6 Buying criteria: Use these factors to compare and test infrared grills
- 7 Trivia: Interesting facts about infrared grills
The most important facts
- Infrared grills make it possible to grill meat, fish and vegetables at home. This is because grilling produces almost no smoke and odour due to radiant heat.
- Infrared barbecues are sustainable because you can often barbecue on them almost immediately after setting them up. Despite high temperatures, the heat-up time is short and energy-saving.
- Infrared grills grill with radiant heat so that the moisture barrier is optimally maintained during grilling and the meat does not dry out. In addition, grilling with infrared is healthy because no fat needs to be used and nothing can burn or scorch.
Infrared Grill: Our Picks
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying an infrared grill
How does an infrared grill work?
The energy is only converted into heat when it hits the meat, fish or vegetables. You can think of this as being warmed up by the radiation of the sun.
It is not the air that is heated, but directly the meat, fish or vegetables. The body absorbs the infrared radiation and sets its molecules oscillating. The result of the oscillation is heat. In the following video you can see how a gas barbecue with an infrared burner works compared to a standard gas barbecue. The classic grill, on the other hand, works with covection heat. The air is heated by the grill so that it then heats the food. However, there are also gas grills that use infrared technology. This uses a special radiation plate that is heated by gas. Gas grills with infrared burners can reach a temperature of up to 900 degrees, and can therefore also be used as a beefer.
Who is an infrared grill suitable for?
If you like to grill quickly and on high heat, you will be happy with your infrared grill. The infrared grill is an inexpensive alternative to a top-heat grill. It heats up very quickly and makes it possible to prepare all kinds of meat, fish and vegetables. The health aspect of an infrared grill should also not be underestimated. Infrared grills do not require any fat at all, so burning food or fat is no longer a problem. In addition, the infrared grill is sustainable in terms of energy consumption, as it can be heated up quickly. This means that no electricity is wasted and you can start grilling almost immediately after switching it on.
What is an infrared grill suitable for?
Which infrared grill is ideal for me?
If you just want to keep the option of infrared cooking open, you can also use multifunctional appliances with infrared function. An abundant number of appliances offer not only grilling through infrared but also other functions such as microwave and oven.
How much does an infrared grill cost?
|Infrared - table barbecue||approx. 40 - 200€|
|Multifunctional device with infrared function||approx. 80 - 200€|
|Electric Beefer||approx. 300 - 600€|
|Gas barbecue with infrared burner||approx. 700 - 1500€|
Various criteria that weigh on the price are:
- Maximum temperature (approx. 100 - 900 degrees)
- Energy source
- Size of the preparation area
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
What is the advantage of the infrared grill compared to other types of grill?
When grilling with infrared, the moisture barrier of the grilled food is optimally preserved so that the juices remain in the meat and do not dry out.
In addition, the health aspect of an infrared grill should not be neglected. Here, grilling takes place entirely without fat. Moreover, grilling with radiant heat does not cause the food to burn or scorch. This is to avoid the production of toxic substances during grilling.
Why is the infrared grill sustainable?
Decision: What types of infrared grills are there and which is the right one for you?
If you want to buy an infrared grill, there are four alternatives to choose from:
- Infrared table grill
- Electric infrared grill
- Gas grill with infrared burner
- Multifunctional appliance with infrared grill
The gas grill with infrared burners can be heated the hottest. But there are also some electric infrared grills that can be heated up to about 850 degrees. Both variants offer the typical beefer function, which can be achieved through the immensely high temperatures.
What are the features of an infrared table grill and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
An infrared table grill can often be used as a table grill and even indoors. This opens up a whole new range of grilling possibilities. In addition, the electric infrared grill is very sustainable in use due to its low power consumption and fast heat-up time.
What distinguishes an electric infrared grill and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
An electric infrared grill can be heated up to approx. 800 - 900 degrees. This ensures optimal preservation of the moisture barrier so that your steak stays nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
What distinguishes a gas barbecue with an infrared burner and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
A gas barbecue with an infrared burner can be heated even hotter than an electric infrared barbecue. That's why the steaks should be even crispier on the outside while remaining nice and juicy on the inside.
What distinguishes multifunctional appliances with an infrared grill and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
A multifunctional appliance with an infrared grill perfectly complements your kitchen equipment. Multifunctional appliances often have a microwave, hot air and double grill function. This means that you can grill either with convection (normal grill function) or with radiant heat (infrared).
Buying criteria: Use these factors to compare and test infrared grills
In the following, we will show you which aspects you can use to decide between the many possible infrared grills. The criteria you can use to compare the different infrared grills include:
- Energy source (infrared technology)
- Maximum temperature
In the following paragraphs, we will explain what is important in each criterion.
Infrared grills can use two different energy sources:
Most infrared grills are electrically powered. Only gas barbecues with infrared burners use gas as the energy source. The gas heats up a special radiant plate, which then transfers the radiant heat to the food being grilled.
There are big differences in the maximum temperature of infrared grills. The following table explains these differences in more detail:
|Infrared - table grill||approx. 100 - 250 degrees|
|Infrared grill with infrared burner||up to approx. 850 degrees|
|Multifunctional appliances with infrared grill||approx. 100 - 250 degrees|
With the infrared grill with infrared burner, much higher temperatures can be reached (approx. 850 degrees). These temperatures make it possible to use an infrared grill also as a beefer. An infrared table grill usually only reaches temperatures of around 100 - 250 degrees. They are not suitable for use as a beefer, but they are still perfect as an indoor grill.
Multifunctional appliances with infrared grills often offer 4 to 5 different functions, which are built into one appliance to save space. Despite the relatively low price, a multifunctional appliance with, for example, microwave, convection and double grill functions complements your kitchen equipment.
Trivia: Interesting facts about infrared grills
How do I use my infrared grill properly?
An infrared grill is usually self-explanatory and intuitive to set up. Because of its radiant heat, there is no open flame and cooking with an infrared grill is very safe.
How do I clean my infrared grill?
An infrared grill is often very easy to clean. Unfortunately, infrared grills with infrared burners, which can reach temperatures of up to 850 degrees, are a little more difficult to clean. However, all components can be removed and washed in the dishwasher.
What makes the infrared grill so special?
The infrared grill can often be used indoors because of its infrared technology. In addition, it heats with radiant heat and not with convection heat. This means that it is not the air that is heated, but the food directly. The radiant heat reaches the food, causes its particles to vibrate so that heat is generated and it is grilled.
Picture source: 123rf.com / arinahabich