Welcome to our big kitchen chair test 2022. Here we present all the kitchen chairs we have tested in detail. We have compiled detailed background information and added a summary of customer reviews on the internet. We would like to make your purchase decision easier and help you find the best kitchen chair for you. You will also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. If available, we also offer interesting test videos. Furthermore, you will also find some important information on this page that you should definitely pay attention to if you want to buy a kitchen chair.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Kitchen Chair: Our Picks
- 4 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying a kitchen chair
- 5 Decision: What types of kitchen chairs are there and which one is right for you?
- 6 Buying criteria: Use these factors to compare and evaluate kitchen chairs
- 7 Facts worth knowing about kitchen chairs
- Which kitchen chair is right for you depends on which table you combine it with. Ordinary dining tables have different requirements than counters or cooking islands, for example.
- There are various differentiating features for kitchen chairs. But in this article we will divide them into two main categories. Namely, kitchen chairs with imitation leather upholstery and kitchen chairs with fabric upholstery.
- Both categories come with advantages as well as disadvantages. These relate to points such as ease of care or robustness, among others.
The Best Kitchen Chair: Our Picks
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying a kitchen chair
Do I combine the kitchen chairs with an ordinary dining table or with a cooking island?
For the latter, bar stools are better suited than kitchen chairs, which, even if height-adjustable, are usually still too low for a countertop. So the first decision is whether to choose a kitchen chair or a bar stool.
Is the kitchen chair suitable for adults as well as for children?
What are the alternatives to a kitchen chair?
Decision: What types of kitchen chairs are there and which one is right for you?
On closer inspection, kitchen chairs can be distinguished on the basis of several features. However, we have come to the conclusion that the material of the chair cover in particular is of immense importance for prospective buyers when making their purchase decision. Thus, furniture stores often offer kitchen chairs with imitation leather or fabric covers.
- Kitchen chair with imitation leather cover
- Kitchen chair with fabric cover
There are not only noticeable differences between the two covers in terms of appearance, but also in terms of durability and care.
What distinguishes a kitchen chair with a leatherette cover and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
People have different preferences, also when it comes to kitchen chairs. However, there is no denying that the majority find leather and faux leather upholstery more attractive and chic. Moreover, imitation leather covers are often combined with chrome frames, so that a nobler and higher-quality feeling is often awakened in the viewer. But the differences are not only to be found in the look. A leatherette chair is also very uncomplicated to care for. This is particularly important for use in the kitchen or dining room.
Imagine you're cooking Bolognese sauce with spaghetti and after you've eaten you realise, to your annoyance, that you've spilt it on the chair. Kitchen chairs with imitation leather upholstery will cause you far less trouble than those with fabric upholstery. Simply wipe it with a damp cloth and the matter is settled.
What distinguishes a fabric kitchen chair and what are its advantages and disadvantages?
Even if a fabric-covered kitchen chair is not considered as elegant in some eyes as, for example, one with a leather or faux leather cover, it also comes with certain advantages. For example, chairs with fabric covers are often cheaper to buy than those with imitation leather covers. This can be an important criterion if you are planning to buy not just one, but several chairs.
In addition, fabric covers can often feel more comfortable. Of course, this is again subjective, but the fabric cover keeps you warmer in winter than a cool imitation leather cover - it's not like car seats, which often come with seat heating.
Buying criteria: Use these factors to compare and evaluate kitchen chairs
In the following section, we have filtered out a few features or purchase criteria for you, which you can use to make comparisons between the different kitchen chairs. These criteria are intended to make your purchase decision easier and more comprehensive:
- Load capacity
- Available in a set
Besides price and colour, the material is one of the most important criteria for buying kitchen chairs. As already presented in the decision section, a distinction is made between upholstery material and frame material. The cover material determines many other properties of the kitchen chair. Not only the appearance, but also the comfort, the feel and the care requirements.
Although not as common in dining chairs as in bar stools or office chairs, these can also come with additional features. So before you buy, you can consider whether or not you prefer kitchen chairs with height adjustability, swivel function, armrests and castors. There are also chairs without upholstery or only with seat or back upholstery.
Moreover, there are features that you don't think about every day. This concerns above all the stowability. Are the chairs stackable or foldable?
|Features in use||Height adjustability, Swivel function, Armrests, Castors, Seat/back upholstery|
|Features for stowability||Stackable, Foldable|
Admittedly, this is of little importance to most people. After all, once the chairs are in place, they usually stay there. But it is certainly worth a mention.
The dimensions of the kitchen chair are an immensely important factor in the purchase decision. You should not only check the dimensions of the kitchen chairs, but also the dimensions of your dining table. You should make sure that the chairs are narrow enough to fit next to each other under the table. If the dining chairs are to be placed in a small room, it may also be useful to know the dimensions of the room.
Consideration of the maximum possible load of a chair should not be underestimated when making a purchase.
Of course, you will first think of your weight and that of the family members. But what happens if you have visitors and one of the guests weighs a bit more? Then it can quickly become uncomfortable - especially if the chair collapses under him.
Available as a set
When buying, quantity is of course always a decisive factor. Usually, when buying kitchen chairs, you often buy several and not just one. Sellers naturally take this into account and often offer chairs in sets of 2, 4 or even 6. Here, the price per piece usually also comes down, depending on the quantity you buy.
So availability in sets is particularly relevant for buyers who need several pieces.
Assembling furniture can be a real headache, especially for people who are not very good at handicrafts. So you can take this aspect into account when buying. It should be added that kitchen chairs tend to belong to the category of furniture that is easier to assemble.
Facts worth knowing about kitchen chairs
How do I clean a kitchen chair with fabric cover?
Kitchen chairs with imitation leather upholstery have the advantage that they are very easy to clean. But how do you clean a fabric-covered chair properly? We will look at this question in more detail in the following section.
- If the seat cushion or cover of your kitchen chair is removable, take it off and follow the washing instructions on the label.
- The cleaning procedure may vary depending on the type of dirt or the cause of the dirt. You should click on the link under "Further reading: Sources and interesting links" and navigate to the relevant cause of dirt.
- Before cleaning more thoroughly, however, you should first remove the dust with the help of a soft brush.
- Once this is done, you can begin by applying a stain remover to a clean cloth (never directly to the upholstery!)
- After you have applied the stain remover, you must rinse the same area.
- After rinsing, you should clean the entire fabric cover so that the previously treated area does not stand out from the rest of the cover.
How can I build a kitchen chair myself?
You want to use your handicraft skills, save a little money and build your own kitchen chair? To help you do that, we've included a video here that teaches you how to build a chair yourself.
Image source: 123rf.com / Monika Mlynek