Today is the day to talk about knee braces. The following information is for expert buyers or those who know nothing about the subject.
Advances in technology and market competition have greatly evolved the characteristics of knee braces. Today there is a perfect product for every situation, from protecting against muscular injuries to helping in treatments.
If you buy a knee brace that is different from what you need to use, the purchase will not be a good experience. So, to avoid this problem, know everything customers should know before buying knee pads. Just follow us!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The best Knee Brace: Our Picks
- 4 Knee Brace: Shopping Guide
- 5 Purchase criteria: Factors to compare knee lifter models
- Those looking for products for muscle treatments can choose the productions that can heat up fast. With this heat in the muscles the recovery happens faster.
- Avoid buying knee braces that are the wrong size. Before making your purchase, try to measure the circumference of your knee with a tape measure.
- Most knee braces in retail have two objectives. The first is to protect against injuries. The second is to help in the treatment of knee contusions.
The best Knee Brace: Our Picks
Knee Brace: Shopping Guide
No matter the reason for use, there's a knee pad that's right for you. And it is important to be aware of this so as not to buy the wrong model and not have good results. As you have seen in the ranking above, they have different characteristics. Let's understand more about the differences between knee pads? Read on and learn how to buy yours at the end of this Buying Guide.
What is a knee brace and what are the benefits of the product?
A knee brace works to defend the knee ligaments, which are very sensitive parts of the human body.
Some serious injuries to the cruciate ligaments of the knees can take a person out of circulation for several months. This is why knee pads are used in different sports. The use of larger and slightly more elastic knee pads is also common among athletes recovering from injuries.
With this accessory you can participate in the first post-injury training sessions. By using this knee-pad it is possible to avoid some joint problems such as synovitis and tendonitis.
When should I use a knee brace?
However, some versions serve for protection no matter the age or condition of the knees, for example, goalkeeper's knee pads and protective knee pads for workers.
There are dance exercises and some functional sports practices that leave the knee more vulnerable in each movement. In these cases the use of knee-pad is indispensable. Nowadays there are several sports that require a good knee brace to be practised safely: running, walking, athletics, heavy weight exercises in the gym, tennis, crossfit, indoor football, American football, basketball, baseball, softball, hockey, volleyball and golf. Modern knee pads have strong, elastic materials to allow movement of the knees without injuring them. Knee pads can weigh from 50 g to 600 g. Most of the current versions are unisex.
What are the main types of knee brace?
- Compression knee brace: It is an articular product, that is, it allows comfortable movement in the knees. It is used by people recovering from injuries and restarting their sports life with light workouts. The name "compression" means that the knee-pad can heat up the muscles. Because of this, there is an improvement in blood circulation and in the treatment of injuries.
- Knee support for protection: It has a structure that protects the knees when in contact with the ground. It is a product widely used in industry and civil construction. The cheaper versions have plastic as the main material.
- Volleyball knee pad: It is a model that serves to protect the ligaments. It protects the knee in the movements of jumps as well as in the impact generated by the feet on the court.
- Crossfit knee pad: It is a structure that has superior protection for the knee cap and ligaments. Some versions cost a little more, but this is the price to pay for this super protective product.
- Goalkeeper's knee pad: In practice, it is another type of knee pad, with slightly more noble materials. A durable and light product that does not hinder movement during games.
- Running knee pad: This is a product that protects the joints and reduces knee pain during longer races.
Discover in the table below the advantages and disadvantages of using a knee brace:
Knee brace variables: Which model is right for me?
The classic knee pad is the most traditional and oldest form of the product. The new versions are comfortable. They serve to protect the knee from direct contact with the ground. This option is used by goalkeepers, floor installers and industry workers.
The elastic knee-pad serves to generate more freedom of movement for the healthy knee. Used by many people who practice medium-level exercise in sports halls. An option for basketball players and runners.
The functional knee brace is the choice for athletes who are in rehabilitation. In addition to protecting you, it also helps you do light workouts without damaging your knee injury.
Unlike the elastic bands that are almost always present on the knees of the best professional weightlifters. It is a structure to protect against injuries that occur from squatting or heavy lifting.
There are also flat knee pads with holes, which are used for the prevention and treatment of minor injuries. Recommended for treating tendonitis, sprains, contusions and sprains. Another indispensable point that you need to take into account is the size of the knee pad.
To know which is the best size of knee-pad you should first measure with a tape measure. Measure 10 centimetres above the knee. The result of the measurement in centimetres is the same value that should be considered for the size of the knee-pad. Some elastic knee pads have this standard measurement:
- Large: It can go from 48 centimeters to 54 centimeters;
- Medium: It can go from 43 centimeters to 48 centimeters;
- Small: from 36 centimetres to 43 centimetres.
Are you in doubt whether it is worth buying a protective knee pad or an elastic knee pad? Then find the best answer by looking at the comparison table below:
|Protective Knee Brace||Elastic Knee Brace|
|Suitable for||Protecting the knee from impacts with the ground||Protecting knee ligaments in sports activities|
How much does it cost?
Purchase criteria: Factors to compare knee lifter models
If you don't want to fall for the old salesmanship, analyse the offers carefully. When making your observations, don't forget to take these 4 factors into account as well:
Now it's time to get to know each of these points in more detail:
Knee pads made of plastic or textile products without much quality do not last for a long time. On the other hand, rubberised productions that have metallic fibres, silicone and neoprene are more resistant.
The ideal is to choose a material that makes you comfortable and, preferably, is more durable. Besides the material, it is also worth checking the seam finishing. Poorly sewn knee pads may tear or loosen the Velcro fastener, for example, easily.
Products with one or two colours are cheaper than customised knee pads in multiple shades. Usually it is common to think of the black knee pad, the traditional one. But, you can use of this accessory with more style and even match your game uniform. If you are more funky, opt for colourful versions. There are even several printed models that can say a lot about your style.
Buy a knee pad in the right size. The accessory cannot be bigger or smaller. Products that don't fit your knees perfectly will never work for treatment or protection against injuries. We've already mentioned it here, but it's worth remembering that large knee pads range from 48 centimetres to 54 centimetres, medium ones from 43 centimetres to 48 centimetres and small ones from 36 centimetres to 43 centimetres.
If you can, go to a physical shop, try on the model and search for the knee pad in an online shop to ensure better deals. If your doctor or trainer has recommended a specific size and model, it's even easier to buy online.
(Featured image source: KeithJJ / Pixabay)