We all know them and we all, or most, love them: The blouse. It can be combined with everything and there is a blouse for every occasion.
Whether at an elegant event, at work or as a cosy piece of clothing in your free time, the blouse is the all-rounder that no woman's wardrobe should be without. However, since there are many things you might not know and should know before buying a blouse, we have created this article.
In our big ladies blouse guide 2021, we have researched the topic of ladies blouses and listed the most important things for you. In this article, you will learn about all the buying and evaluation criteria that are important when buying a ladies blouse, and we will also answer the most frequently asked questions on this topic.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Ladies Blouse: Our Picks
- 4 Ladies' blouses: buying and evaluation criteria
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about ladies blouses answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
- Ladies blouses should not be missing from any woman's wardrobe. There are blouses for work, elegant occasions or simply for leisure.
- Ladies blouses can be made of silk, cotton, viscose or flannel. Depending on the material, the blouse is suitable for a different occasion.
- The most important things to consider with your blouse are the material, sleeve length, size and type of neckline.
The Best Ladies Blouse: Our Picks
Ladies' blouses: buying and evaluation criteria
When buying a ladies blouse, it is very important that you pay attention to several criteria. Because you can wear a blouse forever, it should fit perfectly. To make it easier for you to buy a blouse, we have summarised and explained the most important buying and evaluation criteria.
In summary, these are:
Now that you know the most important criteria, we will explain them to you in more detail and show you what to look out for.
When it comes to the material, it is very important that you think about the occasion for which you want to buy a blouse. Whether it is more for work, an elegant occasion or perhaps simply for leisure.
Not every material is perfect for every purpose or occasion. There are four different materials for ladies blouses:
- Cotton: Cotton is the most commonly used material for blouses. It is very absorbent, skin-friendly and does not scratch at all. It is also very suitable for allergy sufferers. This fabric is very durable and hard-wearing. There are cotton blouses for leisure as well as for work or an elegant occasion.
- Silk: Silk is known as a precious fabric. In the past, it was the fabric used only for kings or princes. Today, silk is an affordable luxury fabric that everyone can afford, as it is already available in different price ranges. Silk is particularly characterised by its sheen and its high strength. It also has a very insulating effect against both heat and cold. Thus, it keeps you warm in winter and cools the body in summer. Silk blouses are more suitable for work or elegant occasions.
- Viscose: Viscose is one of the newest fabrics in the world of blouses. It is made from man-made fibres. Viscose is very well known for being a very comfortable and pleasant fabric. Viscose blouses fall loosely on the body and are therefore perfect for concealing problem areas. It is also very temperature-balancing. Like cotton blouses, viscose blouses are available for every occasion.
- Flannel: Flannel is one of the most popular blouse fabrics. However, flannel blouses are more suitable for the colder seasons. This is because flannel has a very warming effect on the body. Flannel also has a very soft and pleasant feel. Flannel blouses can be used as a normal blouse or also as a jacket, but can also simply be tied around the waist. Flannel blouses are more suitable for leisure time.
When it comes to sleeve length, there are four different types: sleeveless, short-sleeved, 3/4-sleeved or even long-sleeved, whereby most long-sleeved blouses can be made into 3/4-sleeved blouses because they have buttons on the sleeves to help with this.
With long-sleeved blouses you also have to pay attention to how long they have to be.
You can easily measure yourself. Simply place a tape measure at the end of your shoulder, over your elbow and down to the base of your hand and measure the length. And you will know how long you need the sleeves to be.
The size of your blouse is made up of shoulder width, chest width, waist and sleeve length. The shoulder width is the length from one shoulder to the other.
The chest width is the width from the beginning of one chest to the end of the other. The waist is measured by measuring the entire front width at waist level. The sleeve length is taken by measuring from shoulder to wrist as described above.
In the table below you can see which size has approximately which measurements.
|34/XS||Shoulder width: 34, bust: 47, waist: 44, sleeve length: 57|
|36/S||Shoulder width: 35.5, bust: 48, waist: 45.5, sleeve length: 57|
|38/M||Shoulder width: 37, bust: 49, waist: 46, sleeve length: 58|
|40/L||shoulder width: 38, chest width: 50, waist: 46, sleeve length: 58|
|42/XL||shoulder width: 40, chest width: 52, waist: 49, sleeve length: 58|
|44/XXL||shoulder width: 41, chest width: 54, waist: 51, sleeve length: 59|
There are four main types of neckline to look for when choosing your blouse:
- V-neck with button bands: This neckline is usually found on so-called shirt blouses. It is characterised by the fact that the blouse has a button placket and a collar. The neckline can be made larger or smaller by the button bands, depending on how far you button up the blouse.
- V-neck without button plackets: The V-neck without button placket is usually present on one of the most well-known types of blouse. This neckline cannot be made larger or smaller, but is sewn in place. In addition, a blouse with this type of neckline usually has no collar.
- Round neckline: A blouse with a round neckline is very similar to a normal T-shirt. This neckline is also firmly sewn on.
- Necklinewith detail: The neckline with detail is usually a neckline that is closed with a bow or has a special feature with added ruffles. This neckline turns a blouse into something special and makes it even more elegant.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about ladies blouses answered in detail
Now that you are more familiar with the buying and evaluation criteria, we would like to present the most frequently asked questions and answer them in more detail.
What types of ladies blouses are there?
Elegant ladies blouses for work
An elegant blouse for work or dressy occasions should be in every woman's wardrobe. Because you can easily combine this blouse with anything, whether it's trousers or skirts.
With it, you are always perfectly styled and ready for the event or work without having to squeeze into a dress. These blouses are usually made of fabrics like cotton, viscose or silk.
This elegant blouse can be worn not only for work but also for other occasions. It has a very soft fabric, but it is usually not very cosy because it is more of a dressy blouse.
Also, fabrics, like silk or cotton, are not as stain-resistant as other fabrics. The blouse is very elegant and therefore less suitable for leisure. You could quickly be "overdressed" there.
Casual ladies' blouses for leisure
Casual ladies' blouses are perfect for women who also like to wear blouses in their free time. These blouses are usually made of fabrics such as cotton or flannel.
These fabrics are known for being very comfortable and cosy. In addition, these blouses are usually very loose-fitting on the body. Therefore, they are perfect for leisure and casual occasions.
Since casual blouses are used for leisure, they should be both durable and cosy. And that's exactly what these blouses are. Their fabrics make them the cosiest and most comfortable blouses.
They are also loose-fitting, which is of course very advantageous in leisure time. However, due to their casual look, these blouses are not well suited for elegant occasions and work, because these blouses can also wrinkle easily.
What should I look for when buying a ladies blouse?
|Material||When it comes to material, blouses are either made of cotton, silk, viscose or flannel.|
|Sleeve length||There are either sleeveless, short-sleeved, 3/4-sleeved or long-sleeved blouses, whereby long-sleeved blouses can usually also be made into 3/4-sleeved blouses by means of buttons on the sleeves.|
|Size||To find out the right size for your ladies blouse, you need to know the shoulder width, chest width, waist and sleeve length and then check a size chart to see which measurements indicate which size.|
|Necklines||Ladies blouses come in either V-necks with button plackets, V-necks without button plackets, round necklines or neck-hugging blouses with detail, such as a bow or ruffles.|
What should I consider when choosing the size of my blouse?
- Shoulder width: The shoulder width is the width from one shoulder to the other.
- Chest width: The chest width is the width that comes out when you measure from the beginning of one chest to the end of the other.
- Waist: You can find the waist measurement by placing the tape measure at the height of your waist and measuring from one side to the other at the front.
- Sleeve length: The sleeve length is the length from the end of your shoulder, over your elbow, to the base of your hand.
Even if your measurements indicate a certain size, we recommend that you always try on the blouse before you buy it. It could always be that it doesn't fit you, even though the measurements indicate a certain size.
How much does a ladies blouse cost?
|Blouse material||price (cheapest to most expensive)|
|Silk||50 to 200 euros|
|Cotton||20 to 80 euros|
|Viscose||15 to 60 euros|
|Flannel||10 to 40 euros|
Are there also blouses with short sleeves?
Because blouses, especially those made of silk, are characterised by the fact that although they are warm in winter, they also have a cooling effect on the body in summer. That's why these blouses are the best choice in summer.
Ladies blouses are a must-have for every woman. Whether you need blouses for work or want to wear them for leisure, there is a perfect blouse for every occasion.
You just have to find out for yourself which blouse you need and which one suits you best. And then you have the perfect blouse for women that you will have forever.
Photo source: Shironosov / 123rf