LED strips are versatile and particularly energy-saving. They can serve both as a light source and as decoration for indoors and outdoors. There is a wide range of colours and with many models these can even be changed, giving endless possibilities of colour shades. LED strips can also be used as indirect indoor lighting. Our large LED strip test 2021 will help you find an LED strip that suits your needs. For this purpose, we present different types of LED strips and their advantages and disadvantages. In addition, we name the product favourites of the editorial team.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best LED Stripes: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for LED strips
- 5 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying LED strips
- 5.1 What is special about LED strips and what advantages do they offer?
- 5.2 What types of LED strips are there?
- 5.3 What is the light output of LED strips?
- 5.4 What are LED strips suitable for?
- 5.5 What alternatives can I use to LED strips?
- 5.6 How do I shorten LED strips?
- 5.7 How do I fix LED strips?
- 5.8 How do I connect LED strips?
The most important facts
- LED strips are easy to install and are both energy-saving and long-lasting. There are types for indoor or outdoor use and they are suitable for lighting or as decorative elements.
- Depending on the model, white or coloured light can be produced. With the latter, the colour can be changed. Some LED strips allow control by remote control or smartphone app.
- LED strips can be shortened, extended and resealed without much effort and without special expertise.
The Best LED Stripes: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for LED strips
To help you find the LED strips that are right for you, we have compiled the important criteria that should help you in your selection. In summary, these are:
In the next sections, we will go into more detail about the criteria.
Besides the conventional on/off switch on the cable, there are LED strips with motion detectors or remote control. Modern LED strips can also be controlled with a smartphone or even connected to a smart home system via W-LAN. You can install these so-called Smart LED strips in your bedroom, for example, and then set them to switch on their light automatically in the morning.
LED strips are available in white or other colours. With some LED strips, the colour can be changed using a remote control or app, or an automatic colour control can be set. When choosing a colour, you should pay attention to the different colour spectra:
|White LED strips||warm or cool white light|
|RGB LED strips||Coloured light, but only a bluish white light|
|RGBW LED strips||Both coloured and warm white light|
RGB LED strips can also produce a kind of white light, but this has a bluish undertone. Some people find this unpleasant. If you would like your LED strips to have a warmer white light in addition to the coloured light, RGBW LED strips are the products of your choice.
Power is supplied by a mains adapter or batteries. The advantage of battery-powered LED strips is that they are portable. For example, they can be placed in a cupboard, on a costume or on a car. They also guarantee a light supply that remains even in the event of a power failure. In return, the batteries have to be changed regularly. Since LEDs last for a very long time, light strips with a mains adapter as power supply hardly need any maintenance for years.
Length and width
LED strips come in different widths. Normally, there are lengths of 5 and 10 metres. However, the length of the initial product is not so important because you can shorten or lengthen the total length of the strip light as needed. However, you cannot extend the strip indefinitely because a power supply unit can only manage a certain length. In the guide section, we explain how to shorten an LED strip and how to connect two elements together.
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying LED strips
You probably have some unanswered questions that you would like to have answered before you buy the right LED strip. In this big guide on LED strips, we have compiled the most important points and also some instructions that will help you with the selection and installation.
What is special about LED strips and what advantages do they offer?
They are energy-saving and have a higher luminescence with lower power consumption. They are also flexible in use and available in different sizes. LED lamps also have a longer lifespan, on average they last about 50 times longer than conventional light bulbs, so you don't have to worry about maintenance.
What types of LED strips are there?
It turns out that both types have their own strengths and weaknesses. Decide which strengths are most important to you.
What is the light output of LED strips?
What are LED strips suitable for?
If you have never tested an LED strip before and you are still unsure, we recommend that you first try out a shorter LED strip without any special additional functions. This way you can check whether you like the light before you use it to illuminate a whole room, for example.
What alternatives can I use to LED strips?
|LED rope light||Very similar to LED strip. Mostly waterproof, ideal for outdoor use, for example on trees or as Christmas lighting, are more flexible than LED strips|
|LED fluorescent tube||This is a substitute for the neon tube, but with LEDs. It is intended more for commercial use, in areas where high brightness is needed|
LED fluorescent tubes are significantly more expensive, while LED fluorescent tubes are on the same price level as LED strips.
How do I shorten LED strips?
How do I fix LED strips?
Make sure that you remove dust from the surface before fixing so that the adhesive does not come off again in a short time.
How do I connect LED strips?
- At each end of the LED strips you will find two contact points (a + and a -). The + and - of both strips should be opposite each other
- Now insert the LED strips into the respective sides of the connector so that the copper contact points touch.
- Connect both terminals of the connector
Make sure that you do not exceed the maximum length allowed by the power supply. Also, waterproof strips must be resealed to the weft.
Image source: Budnyi / 123rf.com