Make-up was created to highlight our natural beauty. It was created for those who want to look radiant every day or on special occasions. Make-up should not be a substitute for good skin care. Healthy skin should be the main objective so that the components of make-up do not make our skin worse.
Faced with the endless possibilities, we ask ourselves what are the essential elements that any make-up should include? That is why we will present you all the information you need to make the best purchase decision.
The most important facts
- Regardless of the style, make-up should include 8 essentials: primer, foundation, concealer, pressed powder, eye shadow, eyebrow make-up, mascara, and lipstick. This is the basic kit that every make-up lover should have to achieve a fabulous look quickly and practically.
- You shouldn’t skimp when it comes to investing in makeup, as these are products that will be in contact with your skin for most days. Considering the quality of the products and their ingredients is extremely important. Remember to replace your makeup from time to time to avoid infections and acne problems.
- The most important thing about make-up is that it represents what you want to project about your personality. The idea is that you feel comfortable and fabulous at the same time. That’s why we invite you to discover in the world of make-up those products and styles that best suit your essence.
The Best Makeup Products: Our Picks
Make-up is one of the most used elements to highlight our favourite features, and hide those we dislike. It is a way to bring out the best version of ourselves and share it with the world. In this section we will talk about the characteristics of make-up, its advantages, and its different variables.
What is make-up and what are the benefits?
Make-up is the art of painting our face to highlight our best features and cover imperfections in plain sight. The main purpose of make-up is to enhance natural beauty with a little help and to protect the face from external agents such as pollution. Make-up is not always easy to do. It requires practice and technique to achieve a flawless, quality result.
In fact, professional make-up artists study complex techniques and test countless products to identify the ones best suited to each type of occasion. Regardless of how elaborate the make-up is, it should not be heavy or heavy on the face.
The main advantage of make-up is that it allows you to feel empowered and comfortable with what you wear on your face. Your essence will still stay afloat while you look more radiant than ever.
Day or night make-up – what should you pay attention to?
The types of make-up can depend on many factors. Among the most popular types of make-up we can highlight those designed for both day and night. There are different styles and here we will tell you what each one entails so that you can make the best choice.
|By day||By night|
|The main idea is to evoke a natural and fresh make-up||It is associated with a more daring make-up style, usually smoky.|
|It uses a small amount of product||Eye work involving black, brown and bluish tones.|
|Tangerine and peach tones are the protagonists on the eyes||Creative shadows and use of eyeliners.|
|Use opaque shadows as well as discreet, healthy lips||Waterline of the eyes in earth tones.|
|Works with volumes and sculpts the face||Toasted tones and fuller lashes.|
|Avoid volatile powders, shimmers and strong shadows||Lips charged with intense tones.|
These are just some of the features you might want to consider when applying make-up. However, you may also notice that there are many other combinations of styles. These extras you may or may not want to consider depending on your taste and needs.
How much do different make-up products cost?
There is a wide variety of products that you can find for the 8 main elements that make up a good makeup kit. You can find them in different presentations and textures, but as with other types of products, their price will depend on several factors such as:
- Containing nourishing or skin-friendly ingredients.
- Product quality
Buying criteria: Factors that allow you to compare and rate different types of make-up
When it comes to choosing the perfect make-up for us, it is normal that we are not sure what criteria to take into account. So consider the following aspects when making your choice:
- Skin type
- Preparation time
We know you want to look great every day. However, you should listen to your own style to find the make-up style that is compatible with your taste. Remember that the ultimate goal is for you to feel comfortable with what you’re wearing and not feel like your makeup doesn’t represent you.
If you don’t wear make-up on a daily basis, avoid choosing heavy or smoky make-up unless this year you want to risk trying new things while still being yourself. Make-up is not meant to hide behind but to help you highlight your natural beauty. The possibilities and combinations are endless so don’t hesitate to contact a professional make-up artist so that together you can discover a result that will make you feel fabulous.
Know your skin to find out what type of products and make-up work best for you. For example, if you have oily skin, you’ll know that you should use simple make-up with light-consistency products, which usually include a matte effect so they don’t fade as quickly. On the other hand, sensitive and acne-prone skin can react very badly to certain types of products.
To eliminate this risk, we recommend testing make-up products on other areas of your body. This way you will know which products you should replace with more skin-friendly ones and which ones suit you best. Nowadays there are many products that contain organic, paraben-free ingredients. These tend to be more expensive than the rest, but consider it a long-term investment as they will be less abrasive to your skin and prevent premature ageing.
There is no rule that says that for certain special events you should use one or another type of make-up. For example, we always associate celebrities with intense and shocking make-up. However, it is common to see artists like Demi Lovato, Rihanna and models like Cara de Levigne with more demure or natural make-up.
We would particularly recommend a smoky make-up for work events, and a more impactful and shiny make-up for weddings or evening parties. Natural make-up may suit you better for cocktail parties during the day, as everyday make-up or even for photo shoots where you want to highlight other elements.
Our outfit can give us very clear clues about the make-up we should use. In many cases we don’t know how to match our make-up with the clothes we have chosen and it can be overdone or too dull. It is important that our make-up matches the clothes we wear and makes us stand out for our beauty. That is why there are 3 basic rules to identify the perfect type of makeup according to your outfit:
1. Use the complementary colours of the chromatic circle. You must keep in mind the union of pairs of opposite colours such as: red-green, yellow-violet and orange-blue. In this case we must play with the intensity and range of shades within each colour. For example, if you are wearing a purple dress, a yellow shade might be too bright. Go for a golden option to create a more harmonious effect.
2. Strong make-up and loud clothes don’t go hand in hand, and vice versa. If you have an item of clothing that you want to stand out at all costs, it is better to choose a discreet make-up. On the other hand, if your outfit is based mostly on neutral colours, you can afford to be bolder with your make-up to focus attention on your face.
3. Don’t wear make-up in the same colour as your outfit. This way both your face and your clothes will go unnoticed. Take the risk of combining it with other colours while maintaining harmony.
We consider this criterion to be very important, as depending on the time you have available for your make-up, one or the other will be more flattering. If you are a beginner in the world of make-up and you have very little time a day to do it, we recommend you to opt for a natural make-up. In this case, focus on unifying the overall tone of your face and cover all imperfections, adding subtle touches of colour to your cheeks and lips.
On the other hand, if you have more time, you can risk a little more and try to recreate a more intense option with more products and details. Don’t forget that practice makes perfect. Little by little it will take you less time to do each make-up style and you will be able to decide between different styles without any problems. All it takes is a little creativity and curiosity to find the one that suits your personality best.
Image source: 5second / 123rf.com