With the help of a meat grinder, you can process meat into minced meat yourself and prepare delicious dishes with it. With both a manual and an electric mincer, you can process different types of meat, such as pork, beef or veal, but also fish and vegetables. With the help of attachments, the mincer can also be used to make pasta or pastries.
With our big meat grinder test 2021 we want to answer all your questions and help you in your decision-making process to find the best meat grinder for your needs. We have compared manual and electric devices and found out the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The most important facts
- 3 The Best Meat grinder: Our Picks
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for meat grinders
- 5 Decision: What types of mincers are there and which one is right for me?
- 6 Guide: Frequently asked questions about meat grinders answered in detail
- 6.1 What is a meat grinder?
- 6.2 What can I do with a meat grinder?
- 6.3 What do I have to bear in mind when using a mincer?
- 6.4 How much does a meat grinder cost?
- 6.5 What are the alternatives to a meat grinder?
- 6.6 How do I use a meat grinder?
- 6.7 What can I prepare with the mincer?
- 6.8 How do I clean my mincer?
The most important facts
- A meat grinder allows you to process meat yourself and press it into a fine, even mass where you know what's inside
- Not only can you process meat, fish and vegetables with a meat grinder, but there are also various attachments that you can use to make pastries or pasta
- Basically, a distinction is made between manual and electric meat grinders, which, however, differ mainly in the way they are handled
The Best Meat grinder: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for meat grinders
The following is a list of the most important aspects that are crucial when buying a meat grinder.
The criteria that you can use to compare different mincers include:
Processing amount per minute
The amount of meat a mincer can process per minute varies from unit to unit. Especially if you often have to process large quantities of meat, it is advantageous to buy a mincer with a high processing rate.
It is common for electric meat grinders to have a higher productivity, i.e. they can process more meat per minute than manual grinders.
This is because the electric drive takes over the processing in these mincers.
manual machines need a lot of muscle power to process the meat. Accordingly, it usually takes longer.
When it comes to the material of a mincer, a distinction is made between plastic and metal. In the latter case, the metal used is usually stainless steel.
Metal version. Accordingly, they are more worthwhile if you want to produce smaller quantities for private use.
Meat grinders made of metal are therefore somewhat more robust and durable. Due to their stable material, they can be used for years. In addition, the processed end product often looks a little more attractive due to the solid material of the mincer.
You can equip your mincer with many different attachments to create a variation of end products. Often many of these attachments are included with the purchase of a mincer, but you can also order them separately.
The most commonly used attachments are perforated discs in different sizes to determine the fineness of the product. There are also attachments for piping pastry, stuffing sausages and a gagging attachment.
Before buying a meat grinder, you should find out which device comes with which attachments and whether the brand has your desired attachments in its range.
Mincers come in different sizes, usually 5, 8 or 10. These size numbers are a guideline based on the internal diameter of the mincer. The larger the number, the larger the amount it can process.
With electric mincers, the motor becomes more powerful as the size increases and consumes more energy.
For private use, sizes 5 or 8 are usually quite sufficient. Even 10 is very large in relation to that. Anything over 10 is usually only used by large butchers or restaurants.
When it comes to the best way to clean your mincer, make sure it is dishwasher safe.
If dishwasher safe is not stated in the instructions for use, it is better to clean your mincer by hand, otherwise permanent damage could occur.
Generally, only manual mincers are dishwasher safe, but even here you need to be careful. The reaction of your machine in the dishwasher depends on the material. If the mincer is made of cast iron, it may not shine as well afterwards. Appliances made of aluminium can discolour quickly.
Decision: What types of mincers are there and which one is right for me?
When deciding which mincer to buy, you should bear in mind that there are generally two alternatives:
|Manual mincer||Cheap, quiet, no electricity needed||Time and effort consuming, small quantities|
|Electric mincer||Time and effort saving, large quantities||Expensive, loud|
The two types are described in more detail below to help you make your decision.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about meat grinders answered in detail
In the following guide, we answer all your basic questions about meat grinders. After you have read the guide, hopefully all your questions have been answered and your purchase decision will be easier.
What is a meat grinder?
A meat grinder consists of several individual parts. Usually, you can remove the knives (pre-cutting knives and mincing knives) and the perforated disc. This has to be done, for example, when cleaning.
What can I do with a meat grinder?
With the help of various attachments, the appliance can also help to make pastries and pasta. The process is the same, except that the dough is pressed through the mincer and shaped through the opening of the respective attachment.
What do I have to bear in mind when using a mincer?
- Cleaning: To ensure that the mincer is always clean and no residue sticks to the inside, you must always clean it very thoroughly.
- Accessories: There are many different attachments for the mincer. Before buying, you should think about what you want to use the appliance for and therefore only buy the attachments you need. Often some attachments are already included in the purchase.
- Price: Even cheap mincers often do well in comparisons. You don't necessarily have to buy the most expensive product, especially if you won't be using the mincer too often. Make sure that only the accessories you really need are included, otherwise you will pay a higher price even though you don't necessarily need everything.
How much does a meat grinder cost?
|Manual meat grinder||18-120€|
|Electric meat grinder||80-200€|
Manual mincers start at prices from €18, but can also reach prices of over €100 and usually include a few perforated discs in different sizes.
In contrast, electric meat grinders start at prices of 80 euros. These can also cost 200 euros, depending on the quality. Here, too, several attachments are usually included.
If you don't want to spend that much money, you can also buy cheaper devices on auction platforms.
What are the alternatives to a meat grinder?
Another alternative is to process your meat with a very sharp knife until a similar result is achieved as with a meat grinder. With this option, the result will most likely not be as fine as with an actual meat grinder.
How do I use a meat grinder?
- Preparation: Coarsely chop the ingredients and put them into the funnel that comes with the mincer.
- Fill the mincer: The product is chopped and pressed together by the auger. This auger is operated by hand in the case of manual units and by the electric drive in the case of electric units.
- Result: The mass is pressed out of the mincer through various cutting blades and then through the attached perforated disc.
Accordingly, using a meat grinder is not very difficult and the process is the same for all models. Also make sure to clean the mincer well afterwards.
What can I prepare with the mincer?
The following table will give you a brief overview of which types of meat you can use to prepare which dishes.
|Type of meat||typical use|
|Beef||minced meat, meatballs, Köttbullar, Cevapcici|
|Pork||vegetable fillings, salami, liver sausage|
|Veal||meat sauces (e.g. Bolognese), Königsberger Klopse|
|Chicken||Asian dishes, Indian dishes|
How do I clean my mincer?
To clean the mincer thoroughly by hand, it must first be dismantled into its individual parts. These individual parts should then be thoroughly cleaned with hot water and washing-up liquid and then rinsed again under running water. This fine cleaning should usually be enough to establish good hygiene.
Image source: foodandmore/ 123rf.com