When it comes to jeans, it's no big secret that slim fit, and especially skinny fit jeans have been stylish and on trend for years. Times may be changing as many wide fit and wide leg jeans, or baggy jeans, are coming to the fore. Will the baggy jeans trend be here for men this season?
For the ladies, it seems to be here already. There are lots of high-waisted, wide-leg jeans, and for us men it seems that the trend could come back too, although of course ours usually come with a lower cut.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Baggy Jeans: Our Picks
- 3 Baggy jeans for men: the most important questions answered
- 4 Conclusion
The Best Men's Baggy Jeans: Our Picks
Baggy jeans for men: the most important questions answered
When it comes to men's baggy jeans, there are many questions about what exactly they are, whether they are back in fashion and how they could be combined to create the perfect outfit. We answer these questions below.
What is a pair of baggy jeans for men?
This style is usually wider in the knee and the leg opening which makes it a slightly more relaxed fit through the legs. They usually have at least a 22" leg opening. Men's baggy jeans are a comfortable style that looks smart with flat shoes. It is also a good choice to balance out larger hips and thighs.
In the 80s, men's baggy jeans came into mainstream fashion as hammer and parachute trousers, worn by rappers to break dance. In the 90s, men's baggy jeans became even baggier and were worn by skaters, hardcore.punks, ravers and rappers to set themselves apart from the skin-tight acid-wash drainpipe jeans worn by metalheads.
Are men's baggy jeans back in fashion?
What shoes to wear with men's baggy jeans?
- Chunky trainers with men's baggy jeans: it may seem counterintuitive to pair something bulky with another bulky item, but somehow the two make a very cool combination. Complement the duo with a slimmer outerwear to give it a touch of insouciance.
- Sporty trainers with men's baggy jeans: If chunky trainers aren't your thing, there are still options. Instead, try a pair of sporty trainers that will give your men's baggy jeans a cool, casual vibe. If you're feeling particularly adventurous, opt for a colourful version for a stylish accent.
- Combat boots with men's baggy jeans: Team your men's baggy jeans with on-trend combat boots for a streetwear inspired look. Add a slim top and colourful accessories, such as angular sunglasses or a hat.
How do I care for and clean my men's baggy jeans?
- Wash less: Wash your men's baggy jeans every 10 days at most to maintain the fit and avoid too much 'bounce'. Spotted a stain? Use a damp cloth or old toothbrush with mild soap to remove it instead of washing.
- Wash cold: Cold water preserves the colour you love. Washing with cold water will protect your men's baggy jeans from fading and shrinking. Turn your men's baggy jeans inside out and avoid harsher soaps to preserve the indigo hue.
- Line dry: The dryer is the natural enemy of jeans. All that lint will ruin your men's baggy jeans. Hang them up instead. Drying on the line will preserve the fit and help prevent any possible shrinkage or warping of the fabric. Turning your men's baggy jeans inside out will prevent fading and keep the pockets from getting damp.
Men's baggy jeans are a trend that was popular in the early 90s to early 20s. They were mainly worn by rappers and skaters for various reasons. Today, they are back in fashion thanks to the rotation of the fashion world.
Since men's baggy jeans belong to streetwear, you should only wear them if you are aiming for a casual look. You can wear all kinds of shoes with them to complete your casual look.
(Image source: pixabay / a href)