The constantly changing fashion trends are often difficult to follow and the overview is quickly lost. With braces for men, you can be sure that you have chosen a stylish fashion accessory. Braces are once again very popular and are no longer associated with the past.
Whether for festive celebrations, work or leisure, there is something for every occasion in the many different variations of braces. In addition to an elegant look, braces for men have the advantage that they are comfortable when worn correctly and hold the trousers in place ideally. To learn more about braces for men, you should read through the buying criteria and use them to choose the right braces.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Braces: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying braces for men
- 4 Braces for men: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's braces: How to achieve the perfect look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Men's Braces: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying braces for men
Braces for men are not only a stylish alternative to a belt, but when worn correctly they can also be comfortable. However, there are a few things to consider when choosing the right braces.
If you are interested in braces for men, you should think about some criteria beforehand:
The following points should enlighten you more precisely about the characteristics of braces and thus help you to make a decision.
A decisive factor for the right style is the length of the braces. If they are too long or too short, it often looks strange, especially if you want to be stylishly dressed. Therefore, it is a good idea to find the right length for your body structure.
The following lengths are suitable for men's braces:
- Body size around 1.80 m : For men of medium build, a suspender length of 120 - 130 cm is recommended.
- Body height 1.85 m to 2.00 m: For men of this height and medium build, braces with a length of 117 - 130 cm are recommended.
If you are tall and have a firmer figure, a length of 130 cm is ideal. This means that the taller you are, the longer the braces for men should be.
Just like the length, the width also plays a role in terms of style and comfort. Of course, this also depends on what you are using the men's braces for. Width refers to how wide the straps are.
The narrower the men's braces are, the more stylish they look. An average width of 2.5 cm is therefore suitable for a good look. However, there are also extra narrow braces for men, which have a width of 1.8 cm.
If you want slightly wider braces for men, a size of 3.5 cm is suitable. Extra strong braces for men are made with a width of 4 cm.
Which width you ultimately choose depends on the type of use and your preferences. If you want to be on the safe side, you should try on the braces for men in advance.
Nowadays, there are a variety of braces for men made of different materials. Since braces are made of different parts, they are usually made of different materials as well. Here we want to list the advantages and disadvantages of the different materials.
- The canvas material is characterised by a robust substance. Despite the rather rough material, the men's braces look good.
- Especially in the past, men's braces made of leather were very popular. Today, suede is increasingly used. This material looks very noble, but also has the disadvantage that it is somewhat sensitive.
- Cotton is a renewable material and is therefore also popular for the production of braces for men. However, cotton has the disadvantage that it is not as elastic as other materials.
- Polyester is often used for men's braces because it is less expensive. However, it also appears to be of inferior quality.
Choosing the right material does not seem easy at first glance. However, once you have found a material that meets your requirements, you will not change to any other.
Braces for men are a stylish fashion accessory that also have a purpose. That is why the stylish gentleman should pay attention to the design of the braces.
Braces for men are offered in a wide variety of colours. You decide whether the colour black, white, red or blue suits you. Of course, there are also colourful braces for men.
If you don't want to stick to just one unusual colour, then choose a men's brace with a pattern. Popular patterns are striped, chequered or dotted braces for men.
Quality braces for men are characterised by their long durability. With the right care and careful handling, the braces are a lifelong companion.
However, when buying braces, you should pay attention to the high quality of the material as well as good workmanship. It is extremely annoying if the braces constantly slip out of place. Therefore, the braces should fit well.
Another point is the clips of the braces for men. They should clasp the trousers tightly without opening automatically. The trousers should not be damaged by the clips.
Braces for men: The most important questions answered
Choosing the right braces is not easy. With these questions we want to answer the most important questions about braces for men.
What styles of braces are available for men?
- Bracesfor suits: Whether you wear a suit to work or to a wedding, braces for men in combination with a suit are definitely an elegant outfit. The braces prevent your trousers from slipping.
- Classic braces: The classic braces for men are characterised by a simple design and can be worn for any occasion. Those who like to be inconspicuously styled also wear the braces for men in their leisure time.
- Outdoor braces: Whether hiking, skiing or on a ski tour. An outdoor brace for men can be used in any sport.
- Bracesfor leather trousers: Leather trousers are often worn for festive occasions. With the matching suspenders, leather trousers can be ideally combined.
- Vintage suspenders: The retro look of vintage braces makes you think of the old days. But the vintage look is modern again and vintage braces are very popular with men.
- Bracesfor work: Not for nothing are braces associated with lumberjacks. The suspenders for men are the right trouser suspenders for hard work.
Braces for men can be worn for almost any occasion. However, there is care to be taken in choosing the right braces for the right occasion. For example, the rather thinner braces are meant for elegant occasions. The more robust the braces, the more likely they are to be used as work or outdoor braces.
What types of braces are there for men?
In the Y-shape, the bands come together as a Y on the back and run as a single band down to the trousers and thus have 3 clips. Usually two bands in the front and one in the back.
The X-shape is different. Here the bands run apart from an X on the back. This usually results in 4 clips.
How do I fasten men's braces correctly?
Most braces for men come with clips that are easy to attach to your trousers. It is easier if you first attach the clip to the back of the trousers, and then the front ones. This makes it easier to adjust the length and thus adjust the braces.
If you have braces that button, they are fastened with the leather loop on the inside of the trousers. Nowadays, however, these are becoming increasingly rare and clips are gaining the upper hand.
A combination of braces with a belt should be avoided. Since the braces for men should fulfil the effect of holding the trousers, the service of the belt is superfluous.
Can men's braces be cleaned?
In any case, braces should not be put in the washing machine. Especially braces made of leather should not come into contact with water. Therefore, use a dry cloth and gently wipe the leather braces.
For canvas and cotton braces, use a damp cloth. Clean the braces gently with a little soap and then let them dry well.
The cleaning of braces for men should always be done very carefully. The smallest damage can reduce the elasticity and make them unusable.
Styling tips for men's braces: How to achieve the perfect look
When worn and staged correctly, braces for men can look really good. Of course, there are different styling tastes, but there are a few tips you should follow.
- Dowithout the belt: Braces and belts worn together are an absolute NO-GO. Therefore opt for one or the other.
- Worn correctly: If you wear braces for men on elegant occasions, you should make sure that they are adjusted correctly. They should not be too loose, but worn over the belly button is definitely not stylish.
- Plain colour choice: An exaggerated choice of colours should be avoided. Even if you are colourful, it is best not to go overboard with the choice of colours, especially with elegant braces.
- Tie or bow tie: For elegant occasions, tie or bow tie can be combined with braces. Make sure that the colours match.
As already mentioned, tastes differ. However, when it comes to styling tips, the rule is usually: Less is more. These tips are for your inspiration and should be followed for every styling.
Braces for men are definitely an elegant alternative to belts. Suitable braces can be found for every occasion and thus enhance your style. But not only elegant variants of braces, also the classic work braces are suitable for any undertaking.
Whether patterned, chequered or dotted, braces for men are available in a wide variety of designs. The material can be chosen at will, whereby a distinction can be made between different high-quality materials.
(Image source: Inna Lesyk / Unsplash)