Clogs for men are an all-rounder among shoes - they are a universally popular shoe due to their comfortable wear. They come in different shapes and colours and can be used just about anywhere: Be it at home, outdoors gardening or in various jobs like retail, where standing for long periods is the order of the day. But how can you decide on the right clogs despite the enormous choice?
In our clogs for men: buying guide & tips, we explain what to look for when buying, how you can best combine them with your outfits and how you can best care for your clogs so that they last for a long time.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Clogs: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying clogs for men
- 4 Size and weight
- 5 Colour
- 6 Material
- 7 Style
- 8 Clogs for men: The most important questions answered
- 9 Styling tips for men's clogs: How to combine your clogs ideally
- 10 Conclusion
The Best Men's Clogs: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying clogs for men
Especially in online shops, you will find a wide selection of different clogs for men. The likelihood of making a wrong purchase is not small. To avoid this, here are the most important buying criteria to help you find the right clog for you.
These are the following buying criteria:
Size and weight
The first and most important criterion is the shoe size or weight. Of course, your shoes should fit ideally and be comfortable to wear. Clogs in particular are made for moving around as much and for as long as possible in these shoes. Especially in professions such as retail or medical practices, where there is a lot of standing and walking, it is even more important that you keep an eye on ensuring that your clogs are comfortable to wear. Therefore, make sure you choose the right shoe size when selecting a product.
Another important criterion is the colour of the shoe. Of course, your preferences play a role here first and foremost and you should therefore choose a colour that you also personally like. However, there are certain factors that can influence your choice of colour. These include your outfit and the occasion for which you want to wear your clogs. The colour of your clogs should be colour-coordinated with your outfit: For example, neon-coloured clogs are less likely to go with a more dignified outfit like grey or brown clothes. The occasion should also be colour-coordinated. Black or white clogs go well in everyday working life, such as in doctors' surgeries or in retail. Privately, of course, you can wear what you like best.
The material should also be considered when deciding what to buy. Clogs are usually made of synthetic materials such as rubber or material blends. Leather is also often used for higher-quality models. The advantage of clogs made of synthetic material is that they are easy to wash and light in weight. The air slits that many clogs have also ensure a pleasant foot climate. Some models also have ferrous straps that can provide good support. However, clogs made of synthetic material are not as robust and do not last long. If you want to invest a little more money, clogs made of leather are suitable. However, these shoes are often not very comfortable to wear and are not suitable if you plan to wear your clogs outdoors often.
The style of the clog is the last thing you need to consider before buying. Clogs come in different variations and shapes, in sporty as well as elegant designs. Relevant for your purchase decision is on the one hand your personal preference. Depending on whether you are a sporty person or prefer classic clothing, you should choose your clogs accordingly. On the other hand, the reason for wearing them also plays an important role, because they should be matched appropriately. In jobs where you stand and sit a lot, you can go for sportier clogs. In offices, elegant leather clogs are more suitable.
Clogs for men: The most important questions answered
Before making a purchase decision, you will certainly have many questions running through your mind that may be important for the selection. We have answered the most important questions for you here.
In which styles are clogs for men available?
There are matching clogs for all styles, so there is something for everyone. Here we present the most popular styles.
- Sporty clogs made of synthetic material: Clogs for men are also available in a sporty style. They are usually made of rubber or synthetic material and can be worn casually in summer. They come in a wide variety of colours and often contain air slits for air permeability.
- Elegant leather clogs: Elegant leather clogs are also common for men. They are mostly worn in professional settings where a classic look is commonplace. This includes offices and law firms where a lot of sitting takes place.
How can I tell if my clogs fit well?
Apart from the visual aspect, clogs should fit well so that you can enjoy them for a long time. There are some signs you can use to tell if your clogs fit well or not.
- Heels: Make sure that the heels do not move in the shoe. Even the most minimal movement can cause chafing and blisters. Therefore, it is important to try on the clogs before buying them to see if the heels sit firmly and comfortably in the shoe. To do this, you need to put the ball of the foot and the heel on at the same time when walking. If this is possible, your clogs will fit well. Also make sure that there are no misalignments such as snapping toes or pushing through the transverse arch when walking.
- Toe area: Here it is important that the toes must not bump against the top of the shoe, otherwise there is a risk of pressure points developing. Generally speaking, the toes need a finger's width of space to the front and they should have freedom of movement.
Despite all the signs, it is still essential to try the clogs on thoroughly before you buy them. Ideally, they should fit right away.
How do I care for and clean my clog?
When caring for and cleaning your clogs, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Before you wear your shoes for the first time, you should waterproof them. For smooth leather, vegetable-based or beeswax-based shoe wax is suitable. On the one hand, it cares for the leather and, on the other, impregnation protects it from moisture. For suede, you should use a special waterproofing spray before using your shoes for the first time. After that, you should care for your shoes at least every four weeks, depending on how often you wear your clogs. Otherwise, you risk your shoes becoming brittle and cracked.
For clogs made of synthetic material, you should also spray the shoes with dry waterproofing spray before wearing them for the first time and later as needed and apply a cloth with colourless synthetic foam. Make sure that they do not use coloured shoe polish or greasy sprays or creams.
Another important step in care is brushing the clogs. You should brush the shoes regularly to remove dirt and dust. For leather shoes, brushing should preserve the natural shine of the leather. For smooth leather shoes, you should then rub them with shoe polish or shoe wax and brush them with a soft natural hair brush to give them a shine.
Make sure that you let your leather clogs rest for at least twelve hours after wearing them. Ideally, you should wear different shoes every day. Also, store your clogs in a dry, airy place out of direct sunlight and avoid putting your shoes near the heating.
In everyday life, of course, your shoes may get dirty during the course of the day. Cleaning them is easier than you think: First, brush off the coarse dirt from the shoes. If the dirt is not easy to remove, use a cotton cloth and moisten it with water. After cleaning, you should leave your clogs to dry: You can do this by stuffing your shoes with newspaper and placing them in a dry, well-ventilated place. For clogs made of smooth leather, you can also use cleaning foam. Make sure that you do not dry these shoes on the heater or blow-dry them, otherwise the leather will become hard.
For clogs made of suede, waterproofing spray is also the best solution. It is best to apply this before wearing the clogs so that dirt and mud do not stand a chance. If the suede clogs are still affected by mud, you should dry the shoes and then carefully brush off the dirt with a brush.
Styling tips for men's clogs: How to combine your clogs ideally
- Casual style: If you are a fan of casual clothing, you can best wear clogs made of synthetic material. Matched with a pair of rolled-up jeans and a T-shirt, the clogs are ideal for a casual outfit.
- For a sporty outfit: Clogs are also the perfect companion for sports. You can wear sturdier clogs with tracksuit bottoms and a sweatshirt. Typical colours like black and white are particularly suitable for sportswear.
- Elegant with a shirt and trousers: Clogs are also a must for everyday work. For example, checked shirts, black fabric trousers and black leather clogs go very well with them in the office. This is how you make clogs suitable for work!
Clogs have become an all-rounder among shoes. Previously discredited as unsightly slippers, they now serve their purpose very well as comfortable everyday shoes. You have a choice of clogs in a wide variety of colours, shapes and materials. If you want to wear your clogs privately in everyday life, we recommend shoes made of synthetic material because they are more robust. However, if you need clogs especially for your office job, you should go for clogs made of leather. They look both smart and are still comfortable to wear beyond a working day.
(Image source: Markus Spiske / unsplash)