Clothes make the man. This saying is no coincidence, because the modern man needs the right outfit, whether for leisure, business or important occasions. But what should you look for when choosing the right clothes? From the right shirt to the perfect shoes, a complete outfit consists of many parts that should be put together carefully.
In the following, we will present our best tips to help you find the perfect outfit for you. We will cover the different categories of menswear, how to find the right outfit for the right event, as well as the points you should look for in each outfit and garment.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Clothing: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men's clothing
- 4 Men's clothing: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's clothing: How to achieve the perfect look
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Men's Clothing: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men's clothing
As already mentioned, many criteria play a role when it comes to finding the right men's outfit for you. From different materials, to the right time for the respective clothing, to the different components that make up the optimal outfit. In the following, we briefly and concisely list the most important criteria.
These are the following buying criteria:
Now we would like to give you further details on the criteria mentioned so that you also know exactly what you should look out for in the respective points in order to avoid bad purchases and fashion faux pas.
Unfortunately, it is not so easy to determine the right material in general. Many factors play a role here, namely which fabrics you prefer, what time of year it is and what qualities the respective fabrics have. We will now list the most common materials from which men's clothing is made to make it easier for you to choose for your outfit components.
- Cotton: Keeps you warm, is very natural and breathable
- Cashmere: Has a very elegant effect, but is only recommended as a blend with wool for everyday wear
- Leather: Gives a classic masculine look, depending on the quality very robust
- Linen: A very light fabric variant, breathable and pleasant to the touch
- Velvet: Looks very classy, gives a luxurious look, keeps warm and is breathable
- Silk: Graceful look, breathable and very comfortable
- Wool: Keeps you warm, is soft, stays wrinkle-free and is breathable
If sustainability and organic products are important to you, we recommend natural fibres. These offer the most natural alternative to man-made fabrics.
You can easily find out which size fits you best by using a tape measure. Take your bust, waist and hip measurements, write them down and look online for a chart that tells you what size you are. These are plentiful, so you should have no problem finding a list.
In order to choose the correct menswear, there are keywords that will help you choose the correct outfit for the occasion. We list them below and tell you what each term means.
- Black Tie: A common dress code for weddings. Here the man wears a dinner jacket with a black bow tie and black patent or suit shoes.
- Business: This look usually refers specifically to suits, suits or trouser suits. Here, beautiful fabrics and high quality often count. In general, you should stick to a classic and formal style.
- Casual: Here you can wear the usual everyday outfits. That means a casual jumper or shirt, jeans and sneakers. There are no specific colour or quality requirements here.
- Cocktail: Here you should appear festive. For men, this means a casual, dark suit with matching suit shoes.
- White tie: A man can never go wrong with a tailcoat and a white bow tie or tie.
Of course, there can always be differences and different preferences depending on the society, but if you follow our guidelines, you should be able to hit the bull's eye with your outfit in most cases.
Here, too, we show you the most important accessories that can complement your outfit in the form of a table.
- Belt: The right belt can make a nice transition in your outfit. Classically, men's belts are made of dark leather, but today they are available in a variety of materials. The colour of the belt should match the colour of the shoes.
- Tie / bow tie: The accessory to go for the business look as well as festive looks. Although the tie was the first choice for a long time, the bow tie has been coming back strongly for some time.
- Scarf: Scar ves are no longer worn only in winter. They provide an interesting accent to almost any outfit.
- Sunglasses: Not only do they protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, but they also provide a stylish element for a trendy look.
- Wristwatch: Even in the age of the smartphone, the wristwatch has not lost its place. It has long been the men's accessory par excellence and gives you a gentleman's touch.
Which accessories you choose to go with your outfit is entirely up to you. However, they give you the chance to add a personal touch to your outfit and thus personalise it a little.
Men's clothing: The most important questions answered
Now you already know a lot about the topic of clothing for men. In the following section, however, we would like to answer the most frequently asked and most important questions on the subject of menswear, in case there are still any unanswered questions.
What styles of men's clothing are available?
Men's clothing naturally comes in a wide variety of styles, whether in terms of the outfit, the material, the colours, the pattern, the cut, or the length and width. In the following section, we would like to list the three most common styles of menswear:
- Casualstyle: The casual style allows you to wear just about anything. It depends on what you prefer. Whether shorts with a shirt, a shirt with braces or a pastel-coloured pullover. But be careful! If the casual look is on offer at the workplace, an outfit with jeans or chinos is often expected. In this case, avoid outfits that are too flashy.
- Office style: The office or business style is relatively easy to determine in most cases. Here, men are often expected to wear a suit, including dress shoes and tie. However, accessories are often neglected in this style, even if they do not break the outfit. A few nice cufflinks and a matching belt and watch round off your outfit here.
- Party style: Party style is difficult to narrow down as there are many different types of party. At cocktail parties, for example, suits are still expected despite the term party. However, if it's a birthday or bachelor party, the choice of outfit is a little freer. It's best to stick to the theme of the party so as not to appear underdressed or overdressed.
Many occasions dictate a certain style, but you always have the option of personalising your outfit by adding certain touches to make it a little more interesting. It's up to you to stand out from the crowd.
What is the best way to store men's clothing?
Since the topic of menswear naturally encompasses a large number of different clothes as well as accessories, the different ways in which you store and care for your clothes naturally also differ. We have summarised the most important points for you.
- Jackets and coats: Make sure you have enough free hangers. Only if you hang your jacket or coat carefully on them is freedom from creases guaranteed.
- Jumpers: Here it is important to know the correct technique for folding your jumper. There are many tutorials online that show this in detail. We would advise against hanging up a jumper, as it could lose its shape in the long run.
- Shirts: Here, too, the correct folding technique is important. However, if you have enough space, you can hang up shirts. Since they are lightweight, they will not lose their shape, unlike jumpers.
- Trousers: No matter what fabric your trousers are made of, a correct folding technique or the possibility to hang them up is again indispensable if you value crease-free clothing.
- Shirts: Again, you are free to fold them correctly or hang them up. However, it is important to remember that white and black shirts in particular tend to attract lint quickly. So store these garments with some distance to other clothes with long fibres.
- Shoes: Shoes require a slightly different kind of care. For example, make sure you let wet shoes dry completely before storing them. If you store them in boxes or something similar, especially if this is for a long period of time, such as seasonal shoes, it is advisable to add a sachet of fragrance. Leather shoes require a special regiment of care. You will find a number of products online that have been developed exclusively for the care of leather shoes.
These are the most important things you should consider when storing and caring for your menswear. Of course, there are plenty of ideas on how to go further in caring for and storing men's clothing, but these tips will cover the basics completely.
Can I buy men's clothing in instalments?
Money is not something you talk about. However, if money is tight, there is not much in the way of buying men's clothing in instalments. There are now many online stores and other providers that allow you to buy your clothing in instalments. Outside the internet, however, it looks rather difficult. Not many shops offer buying on instalments, but it costs nothing to ask locally if this is offered.
Which men's clothing suits me?
This is of course a very personalised question. However, it is not as difficult to answer as you might think. There are many guidebooks that describe in detail which style of clothing is suitable and advantageous for different men. This takes into account the height, weight, skin tone and body proportion of each individual. Providers of the above-mentioned personalised outfits generally do a very good job here. In any case, the right outfit can be found for everyone.
Styling tips for men's clothing: How to achieve the perfect look
Choose the right outfit for the right occasion. Whether 20s, 30s, 40s or 80s parties. Whether it's a wedding, a communion or a funeral. There is the right clothing for the modern gentleman for every occasion.
- Accessories round off every outfit. Whether classic with a beautiful wristwatch or modern by joining the hat renaissance, there is the right accessory for every type.
- The right colour adds a personal touch to your outfit. Especially in casual style you can let your hair down. But maybe you shouldn't wear a colourful suit in business, but even here dark blue or grey variations are a good choice.
- Choose the right material for the seasons. A fabric that is not breathable can quickly create unsightly sweat stains in summer, compromising even the best chosen outfit.
After reading our guide, you should now know what to look for. This way, no clothing faux pas can happen to you in a hurry.
When it comes to men's clothing, it's easy to lose track. What is the right outfit, whether it suits you, which material has which properties, how to store and care for clothes properly and how best to inform yourself about all these things. We have told you all these things in our guide and hope that we have been able to help you.
Now that you know what to look for, there is only one thing left to say. One of the most important things when wearing menswear is, of course, confidence. Once you have chosen an outfit or style that you like, stand by that choice because you have made a well-informed and personalised choice.
Source: Unsplash & 123rf