Men's glasses come in all colours and shapes, and even if you don't need prescription glasses at all, you can still wear them - window glasses have become a fashion accessory just like real glasses. As the trend is now towards second pairs of glasses, you can easily match your glasses to your particular outfit or event.
Whether it's a pair of plain glasses for a serious business meeting, a pair of robust sports glasses or a pair of blue light filter glasses: you will find the ideal pair of men's glasses for all your needs, because nowadays they are more than just a visual aid. With the perfect pair of men's glasses, you optimally underline your personality and express your individuality.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Glasses: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men's glasses
- 4 Men's glasses: The most important questions answered
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Men's Glasses: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men's glasses
There are so many different glasses for men that it is hardly surprising if you find it difficult to decide on a model. To help you find the perfect pair of men's glasses for you, we have put together the most important buying criteria that you should consider when making your decision. With the help of the following criteria, you can find out which model is right for you:
In the following section, we present the individual features in more detail.
There are six different shapes of glasses:
- Round: These glasses are also called nickel glasses. They are ideal for square faces.
- Panto: Typical of this shape are the round lenses, which are flattened at the top. It suits most faces.
- Oval: This shape has rounded edges and curved lines. It is ideal for heart-shaped and square faces.
- Pilot: Typical for this shape are the drop-shaped lenses. It suits elongated face shapes in particular.
- Square: This shape is more angular with straight lines and wider edges. It is ideal for heart-shaped faces.
- Butterfly: The outer upper tips are typical for this shape. It is particularly suitable for oval and square faces.
The shape of the glasses should be the opposite of the shape of the face - i.e. square glasses shapes for round faces, round glasses shapes for angular faces. The proof of the pudding is in the eating! If you are not sure which shape is right for your face, simply test different models.
In full-rim glasses, the lenses are completely framed. This model is sturdy and ideal for thick lenses, but it also makes them heavier than the other models. The continuous frame emphasises the face. With half rim glasses, the lenses are not completely framed. This half rim is used to attach the lenses to the frame.
This model has a finer appearance than full rim glasses and is slightly lighter. Rimless spectacles do not have a frame that encloses the lenses. The lenses are attached directly to the temple and are not held by the frame. This model is very light and visually unobtrusive.
The frame of the glasses should be about as wide as your face from the front. Spectacles with round lenses are an exception: Here the frame is slightly smaller. Retro glasses, on the other hand, have a slightly wider frame. In addition, you can choose the frame from many different colours and patterns.
You can also choose the temples from thick or thin models. If you have a light skin and hair colour, you should also opt for light shades so that your glasses do not look too harsh and contrasting. If you have light skin but darker hair, we recommend you go for earthy colour tones as well as natural tones.
Gold and metallic tones are also possible. If you have dark skin and hair, strong and dark colours will suit you best. Avoid light shades so that you do not appear paler than you are.
If you have ever bought glasses before, you know how many extras there are to choose from - be it anti-reflective coating, lotus effect or UV filter. With anti-reflective glasses, a thin coating is applied to the lens. This prevents all light reflections, for example the dazzling headlights of oncoming cars. The lotus effect makes the lenses smoother.
Water simply rolls off and dirt has a harder time sticking to the lenses. The UV filter is normally only present in sunglasses. However, there are now also day glasses that have an integrated UV filter and thus protect your eyes around the clock. All these extras come at an additional cost, so you should consider which ones make sense for you personally. However, the health of your eyes should be worth it to you.
Men's glasses: The most important questions answered
It can be hard to find the right pair of glasses for men among all the different ones, because the choice is huge. To help you with your buying decision, we have listed and answered the most important questions about men's glasses.
What types of men's glasses are there?
To help you find your way through the wide range of men's glasses, we have listed the most important types below:
- Blue light filter glasses: This type of glasses filters the blue light that is emitted by monitors and displays throughout. They prevent your eyes from getting tired quickly and ensure that reflections from the glass are reduced. So if you spend a lot of time in front of a monitor at work, you should think about buying blue light filter glasses.
- Reading glasses: Reading glasses are the most common type of glasses. If your vision is failing and you can't read close text properly, it's time for reading glasses.
- Distance glasses: This type of glasses is used when you can only see distant objects in a blurred way. Distance glasses help you to see clearly again.
- Varifocals: Varifocals help if you have short-sightedness and long-sightedness at the same time, because they ensure perfect visual acuity at all distances. Older people in particular wear this type of glasses.
- Window glasses: These are glasses with lenses without corrective prescription. They are ideal if you only want to use glasses as a fashion accessory.
- Sports glasses: This type of glasses is shatterproof and therefore suitable for contact-intensive sports, such as wrestling or American football. In addition, they have temples that are coated with a non-slip material to ensure a perfect fit during sports.
Your men's glasses will not let you down in special situations. No matter whether you are short-sighted or long-sighted, whether you wear window glasses or for sports: you are guaranteed to find the right pair of men's glasses for you.
In which materials are men's glasses available?
The material of your men's glasses determines the individual wearing experience. The most common materials are plastic and metal. Wood, carbon, aluminium and steel are also often used. Glasses made of plastic are very light and thus provide a pleasant wearing feeling. In addition, this material is insensitive and robust and offers a long service life.
Here you will also find the largest variety of colours and patterns. Metal glasses are just as light as plastic glasses and are also very easy to care for. They are often very discreet and therefore look elegant. Stainless steel and titanium are the most popular, as these two metals are rust-proof and have a long life.
How do I find the right glasses for my face shape?
If you have a narrow, pointed chin and high cheekbones, you have a heart-shaped face. Soft glasses with rounded corners will make your face look less angular. If you have an oval face shape, you can wear any model and any frame. Square glasses make your face look more prominent, round glasses make your face look softer.
Do you have a round face? Then we recommend a wider frame, such as a rectangular or square frame. This way, your face is visually stretched and appears narrower. Round frames, on the other hand, make your face look even rounder. Fuller cheeks and a narrow forehead give you a trapezoidal face shape. We recommend half-rim glasses, because if only the upper side of the frame is accentuated, your face will look more even.
If you have an angular face shape, we recommend that you opt for round or oval glasses. This will soften your contours. If, on the other hand, you want to emphasise your prominent face shape, choose a rimless model.
How do I clean my glasses?
When cleaning your glasses, you should avoid using handkerchiefs and shirt sleeves, as these substances cause irreversible micro-scratches in the lens. Instead, use a microfibre cloth or a special lens cleaning cloth. If there is greasy dirt on the lens, such as fingerprints, you should not just clean it dry. Special damp lens cleaning cloths are suitable for this purpose when you are out and about.
At home, you can use a few drops of washing-up liquid instead and then rinse thoroughly under the tap. Finally, dry the lenses with a microfibre cloth. You can also clean your frames with a few drops of washing-up liquid and running water. You should also make sure to clean the temples behind the ear and the nose pads regularly.
For the fashion-conscious gentleman, eyewear is more than just a visual aid these days. Rather, they are a fashion accessory that is chosen to match the outfit. Depending on the occasion, the right glasses emphasise the desired look. You can choose from many different colours, materials and shapes so that you are guaranteed to find the right model for you.
There are also men's glasses to suit the shape of your face. If you're not sure what they are, just try on each shape - it's easy to find out which shape is right for you.
Image source: unsplash.com / Ugo