Accessories are the ideal companions for a man to complete a look and nothing is as timeless and versatile as a gold chain. Gold chains come in a wide variety of designs. So there are no limits to your wishes.
Whether you just want to freshen up your everyday look or try something new for the next chic occasion, gold chains are durable, high quality and therefore a sustainable investment for numerous occasions over the years.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Mens Gold Chain: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What you should look out for when buying men's gold chains
- 4 Gold chain for men: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's gold chains: How to achieve the perfect look with a gold chain
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Mens Gold Chain: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What you should look out for when buying men's gold chains
Thanks to the large selection of gold chains for men, it is hardly surprising if you find it difficult to choose the right model. To help you find the perfect gold chain for you, we have put together some buying criteria to guide you:
In the following sections, you will find out what the individual aspects essentially depend on.
High-quality gold chains are made with a gold alloy. Gold alloy means that the pure gold is fused with other materials, most often silver or copper. Thanks to this fusion, the necklace gains hardness, as pure gold is a very soft precious metal. The higher the gold content, the more valuable the necklace.
Gold chains come in different alloys, the most common being 333 gold, 375 gold and 585 gold. 333 gold chains have 8 carats and consist of 33.3 percent pure gold. The 375 gold chains with 9 carats have a gold content of 37.5 percent. 585 gold chains have a 14 carat gold alloy and consist of 58.5 percent pure gold.
There are also six other gold alloys up to 999 gold with 24 carat. However, you should know that the higher the gold content of the chain, the softer and thus more unstable the gold chain.
Alloys can also be used to create different shades of gold. Red gold, for example, is created by a high copper content in the necklace and by adding silver, a yellow gold necklace is created. White gold requires artificial brightening, which is created by adding palladium, nickel or silver.
There are some variations in the length and thickness of gold necklaces for men. Most necklaces start at a length of 45 centimetres. Upwards, it is difficult to set an exact limit. There are also certain differences in thickness. From fine specimens that measure only a few millimetres in diameter to thick armoured gold chains with a diameter of over a centimetre in some cases.
However, there is one thing you can remember: The thicker and longer a gold chain is, the heavier it is.
One of the most classic men's gold chains is the curb chain. Even with this form of necklace, there are already a wide variety of designs that differ in thickness, size of the links and narrowness of the links. Another factor is the different alloys that determine the colour and texture of the chain.
We will describe other types of men's gold chains in more detail below. However, at this point we can already say that thanks to the multitude of possible combinations of alloy, thickness, length and type of chain, there is an almost endless number of different designs.
Gold chains can be made either by machine or by hand, although the latter is hardly ever used nowadays. However, you should not forget one important aspect when making gold jewellery: The path of a gold chain begins first and foremost in a gold mine, and the work in these mines is unfortunately often at the expense of the workers and the environment.
Gold mines tear large craters in the landscape and rip through entire mountains. Another problem for the environment are the highly toxic chemicals used to separate the gold from the associated rocks. The resulting vapours are also harmful to humans and animals.
In some South American countries, children often work in the gold mines and most of the workers are paid a pittance for the dangerous work they do in the mines day after day. Therefore, one question is becoming louder and louder these days: Is there also sustainable gold?
Yes, there is. You can either look for the Fairtrade seal or go for companies that recycle old gold jewellery. The latter is not only fair, but also conserves our earth's resources.
Gold chain for men: The most important questions answered
As already mentioned, the choice of gold chains for men seems almost endless. So, to help you make the best choice possible, we have compiled the most important questions about gold chains for men and answered them in the following sections.
In which styles are men's gold chains available?
- Venetian gold chain for men: The Venetian chain gets its name from its Italian origin. It consists of rectangular chain links that interlock closely.
- Armoured gold chain for men: The links of the armoured chain are flat lying, slightly twisted ovals that interlock. This design lies completely flat.
- Anchor gold chain for men: The basic shape of this chain is based on the genuine anchor chain. Accordingly, the chain consists of individual oval links that interlock.
- Braid gold chain for men: The braid chain, or cord chain, takes its name from its structure, which is reminiscent of a braided braid or cord.
- Snake gold chain for men: The links of a snake chain are usually round and interlock in such a way that no gaps are visible. This gives it the appearance of snakeskin, which is how it got its name.
- King gold chain for men: The links of the king chain are tightly intertwined and do not consist of individual links and eyelets like the other chains, but are made of several interlocking pairs of links.
If you are unsure which style of gold chain suits you best, we recommend that you try on different models in a jewellery shop and feel free to ask friends or your partner for advice.
How can I tell if my men's gold chain is real gold?
Other test options would be the sound test or the density test, but the results can be distorted in the case of gold chains, as most gold chains are also made of other materials. So if you want to be on the safe side, there is no way around going to an expert.
How do I care for and clean my men's gold chain?
In principle, gold jewellery does not need to be cleaned very often. However, if it should happen, you have two options for cleaning your gold chain. The first option is to take your gold chain to a jeweller and have it professionally cleaned.
The second option is to clean it yourself. You can already carefully remove small stains with a microfibre cloth. For more stubborn dirt, you can either remove the dirt with an ultrasonic bath or use various home remedies.
For example, dissolve washing-up liquid or baking soda in water, place the necklace in it and carefully swirl the container back and forth. Then wash your gold necklace thoroughly and dry it with a soft cotton cloth. Alternatively, you can scrub your gold necklace clean with a soft toothbrush and some toothpaste. For that extra shine, you can polish your gold necklace with a wool cloth or deerskin.
Styling tips for men's gold chains: How to achieve the perfect look with a gold chain
Gold chains, whether big or small, are an absolute head-turner, so we recommend styling your look around your gold chain. To skilfully showcase your gold chain, choose simple and muted tones in your outfit. If you want to wear other accessories, it is best to choose simple and neutral designs. This way you won't distract from your gold necklace and the look will be coherent and not overpowering.
For a simple, elegant look that you can wear in everyday life, at work and on special occasions, you can fall back on the following combinations:
- A plain white T-shirt forms the basis for skilfully setting off your gold chain.
- Style it with a suit in a dark blue shade. For casual occasions, you can omit the jacket or swap the suit completely with a pair of plain jeans and a plain bomber jacket.
- You can colour-coordinate your belt and shoes to complete the look. For a blue suit, we recommend light brown shoes and belt. If you have styled your look with jeans, you can also do without the belt completely and go for white sneakers. This will pick up the colour of your T-shirt.
- Less is more. Try to keep your choice of other accessories as low as possible. If you cannot do without a wristwatch, choose a plain model that matches the colours of the rest of your outfit.
- And last but not least: Don't forget your hair and beard, because a clean look is only achieved when the beard and hair have also been given a clean styling and the necessary care.
Of course, you can play with the colours and combinations according to your preferences. These styling tips only serve as inspiration for your next outfit.
Gold chains are not only a beautiful accessory for women. Men can also add the finishing touch to their outfit with a chic and high-quality gold chain. Thanks to a wide variety of designs and finishes, the right gold necklace can be found for every man.
For variation, you can also invest in two different gold chains and change them regularly or even combine them. If attention is paid to the right, preferably fair production, appropriate storage and occasional care, a gold necklace is a long-lasting and sustainable investment that is unlikely to lose much of its value in the future.
(Image source: Ayo Ogunseinde / Unsplash)